Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 09:01 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotix View Post
I don't get this culture shock people often make reference to in the US, unless you are coming from abroad, this is America, we live under the same constitution, culture shock is when one relocates to a foreign country, don't know the language, customs, etc.

There are some regional differences here in the US but that is a far cry from 'culture shock'.
I agree. Culture shock has a negative connotation. Really, I mean that Destin is so completely different from New England in almost every way except human beings live there and the sun rises and sets. Maybe to some people that would be a positive situation. I just mean that it is very, very, very different and she should be prepared. By her posts I can tell that she is not.

Mel, I don't care if you used Cohaset or Lowell as a point of reference, the same situation applies. This has nothing to do with architecture. That's the obvious. I was born in New England and lived there for 34 years. I was a newspaper reporter for the Worcester Telegram. I'm telling you. And I didn't live in Destin. I lived in swFlorida where things are more "northern."

Start looking into the school situation now. And don't go by the numbers, either. Florida has a habit (like a lot of states) of fudging the numbers. Visit them. That will tell you all that you need.

Don't think "this is an internet forum and they have an ax to grind." You won't regret it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 06:49 PM

57 posts, read 111,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Ocoee? Seriously? The first place I stayed, for a couple of nights, when I moved to Florida was Ocoee. Wow. It doesn't remotely resemble New England, even on its best day. It's considered to be one of the more "backwoods" parts of the Orlando area.

Assuming you mean Sanford, Florida, ditto for that, too.

I've never been to Bartow, but at this point my guess is you've never been to New England.

To the OP, there's a good chance that you are like me and assumed the rest of the country was similar to New England, except for the obvious differences. Oh, boy. You are in for a major, major culture shock. They call the area you are going to the "Redneck Riviera."

The worst part is, when people tell you the schools are "bad" you are going to think they are New England "bad." Ugh. Let me tell you, you have no idea what is a bad school, but if you move there, you will find out.

To give you some perspective, I've raised five kids. Four of them went through Massachusetts schools. I moved to Florida and remarried. After five weeks in a Florida public school we yanked our daughter out of there and moved to Tennessee.

I'd also bet the farm that if they have a private school around there it is non-secular and does not exist to better educate the children. I could be wrong, though, and it is a major assumption on my part.

I could be wrong about everything, but unfortunately, I don't think so.

I was simply going off of what I was told.. never been to those places.. Oh I def been to new england..lived there..theres a reason I'm back in fla.. as far as rednecks on the Gulf Coast ..depends on where u go.. In naples u won't find too too many.. mostly upperclass folk.. the rednecks aka natives are few and far between unless ur going to the middle of the state..

Old 07-26-2010, 08:16 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingerprint_me View Post
I was simply going off of what I was told.. never been to those places.. Oh I def been to new england..lived there..theres a reason I'm back in fla.. as far as rednecks on the Gulf Coast ..depends on where u go.. In naples u won't find too too many.. mostly upperclass folk.. the rednecks aka natives are few and far between unless ur going to the middle of the state..
I didn't say "rednecks on the Gulf coast." I said Destin is part of "The Redneck Riviera." My daughter was born in Naples. I also said swFlorida is more "northern." sigh.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:35 AM

57 posts, read 111,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I didn't say "rednecks on the Gulf coast." I said Destin is part of "The Redneck Riviera." My daughter was born in Naples. I also said swFlorida is more "northern." sigh.
I never accused you of saying there WERE rednecks on the Gulf Coast..I simply said you won't find many here..... stop being so defensive jeez louise!

Old 07-27-2010, 05:32 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times
Redneck towns... Bithlo, Lake Wales, Hommasassa, Inverness, Yeehaw Junction, Clewiston, Avon Park. Those are the ones I have seen. Definitley not Naples, or around here where I am. You see one or 2 but that is it.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:33 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,947,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmoves View Post
thank you all SO much for your replies! it is incredibly helpful. we are tied into the Destin area for job purposes, so as appealing as Amelia Island is, I'm guessing it's not a great commute to the Gulf area! I shouldn't have mentioned the Cohasset thing, just wanted to use it as a point of reference for anyone who knows my current area. . . I'm not expecting Maple trees and shingle-style homes, I promise! thanks again, and any further information on areas like Watercolor (googled some real estate and there seemed to be some cute homes in there?) and Greyton Beach, or any other subdivisions/neighborhoods that you'd all reccommend would be super. I think we'll head there for a few days to scope out some neighborhoods and I'd like a few ideas on where to go. Thank you!
Hopefully, someone from Destin or knowledge of the area will chime in soon, please update us of your findings after your visit. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida