Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 09:48 AM

30 posts, read 56,450 times

Advertisements

Well, we're gearing up for a move from Connecticut into Martin County, hopefully before the end of the year. I've seen enough comments on these boards about "yankees" moving to Florida that I'm a little worried ;-)

Anyone know of a set of language tapes that I can buy to teach my family the proper accent? We dont want to stand out like sore thumbs as yankees!

(I'm mostly kidding. Should I be worried?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 10:12 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,304,420 times
No, chances are you'll sound like everyone else in Martin County. Now, if you go into the Florida Heartland, you'll be the one with the accent!

Last edited by ferret111; 08-02-2010 at 10:13 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-02-2010, 12:31 PM

558 posts, read 1,835,412 times
Please don't try to imitate a Southern accent. There is nothing worse in the world than a Northerner trying to talk with a Southern accent. You won't fool anybody and it'll just make you look like an idiot to everyone (natives and transplants). I know you are just kidding but I have seen it before, lol.

Just be yourself and don't worry about what others think. If someone hates you for being born in a different location then that person isn't worth worrying about in the first place.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited by Lakeland Yankee; 08-02-2010 at 01:21 PM..

Old 08-02-2010, 12:46 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,348,207 times
My husband was raised in Jacksonville from about 4 years old on and he doesn't have any accent (southern or otherwise).

I was raised in the south myself and don't really have an accent. Surely that can't be anything important to worry about these days?

Old 08-02-2010, 12:51 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,247,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndiu View Post
Well, we're gearing up for a move from Connecticut into Martin County, hopefully before the end of the year. I've seen enough comments on these boards about "yankees" moving to Florida that I'm a little worried ;-)

Anyone know of a set of language tapes that I can buy to teach my family the proper accent? We dont want to stand out like sore thumbs as yankees!

Why would you want to live somewhere where you cant be who you really are.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:41 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,772,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndiu View Post

All you need to do down here is eat Grits and practice saying ' y'all ' . Nothing else really matters . Well.......dont go walking round telling everyone 'aint it hot today ?' for some sympathy . Florida is supposed to be hot . It would be like walking into a big Baby Nursery and saying 'dont it stink in here' .

Old 08-02-2010, 02:12 PM

30 posts, read 56,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
All you need to do down here is eat Grits and practice saying ' y'all ' . Nothing else really matters . Well.......dont go walking round telling everyone 'aint it hot today ?' for some sympathy . Florida is supposed to be hot . It would be like walking into a big Baby Nursery and saying 'dont it stink in here' .
Hahahaha, that's funny! I was honestly kidding. I don't want to live anywhere that I can't be myself. I guess I was reacting to all the postings that say Floridians hate northerners. (Twisted sense of humor... sorry)

I'll practice saying y'all though, I like the way it sounds, and I'm already a fan of grits, so I'm halfway there!

Old 08-02-2010, 02:51 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,367,350 times
What is a Florida accent anyway? I hear Boston, NY, Canadian (Aye?) and Midwestern with an occasional Southern drawl.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:42 PM

13,624 posts, read 7,936,616 times
Most Floridians nowadays, like most of the rest of the country, have a generic TV-anchorman "accent" that isn't really an accent at all. Just plain American English I guess, which is kind of sad to me. I like regional differences and am sad to see America become more and more homogenous.

Obviously, the further North you go in Florida, the more people talk with a Southern accent, and there are many communities where the New York/Northeastern accent will be dominant.

Again though, I would say most kids growing up nowadays in Florida talk like TV personalities, no accent.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:40 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
There's a fair amount of cajun over here- people who came for a better than rural LA job market and to be close to the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida