U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 12:00 PM

4 posts, read 11,321 times
Default What is the best small town on the gulf side to raise a family?

What is the best small town on the gulf side to raise a family?

We are looking to rent a 3-4 bedroom home with a pool, lanai etc on the gulf side of Florida. ( Need help with finding a rental also!)

What town is small ( under 40k pop. ), family oriented, nice neighborhoods, good schools etc.

Any suggestions appreciated.

We were looking around the Tampa area but we are open to other areas.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 12:38 PM

707 posts, read 805,286 times
I honestly have never ever seen an actuall town or like village. Its mainly cities.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:26 PM

6,742 posts, read 12,421,678 times
You should check out Sarasota county. The prices are reasonably, it has one of the best school systems in the state and there's lots to do for the kids.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:11 PM

4 posts, read 11,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
You should check out Sarasota county. The prices are reasonably, it has one of the best school systems in the state and there's lots to do for the kids.
What small town do you recommend that is close to Tampa in Sarasota County?

Thank you.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:14 PM

6,426 posts, read 12,744,048 times
Odesa Florida is outside Tampa, friends of mine love it there.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:35 AM

19,682 posts, read 15,411,261 times
Cedar Key?
Homosassa?

Old 08-10-2010, 05:39 PM

6,742 posts, read 12,421,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMan1986 View Post
What small town do you recommend that is close to Tampa in Sarasota County?

Thank you.
The city of Sarasota would be a good to start to look in.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:29 PM
Status: "counting the days until retirement!" (set 25 days ago)

1,958 posts, read 2,559,453 times
Port St. Joe, FL in the panhandle. A great place!!

Old 09-24-2010, 05:07 PM

6 posts, read 15,995 times
Port St. Joe does fit what you are looking for, but if you want to be in close proximity to get to an actual city for culture and shopping choices, know that PSJ is sort of far removed. It is an hour from Panama City, which is pretty nasty, and not actually a real city. Tallahassee is about an hour and 45 minutes away. It also can get pretty cold in the winter that far north. But the beaches and the water are fabulous!

Old 01-08-2011, 07:08 PM

3 posts, read 11,162 times
i noticed this post is a little old ,but i figured someone might see it and try to help me out too. My family and i are also considering moving to Florida. We currently live in TN, and we are ready for a change of scenery. My fiance has family in Sneads, FL. But we were thinking of moving to Port St. Joe or somewhere around there that's not too expensive, i don't want to spend every penny we have on rent. Plus we have 2 small children under the age of 5. So we will need somewhere with a good school system. I'd prefer to live somewhere close to the beach but not right on top of it, somewhere that has a low crime rate, (i know every place has crime, you can't escape that, but some places have less than others) and a place where the people are friendly. We're looking to move late this spring or early summer, If anyone can help me out i'm open to all suggestions! Thank you so much!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida