U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-24-2007, 07:48 PM
 
Location: Palm Beach Gardens, Fla
1,888 posts, read 7,153,558 times
Reputation: 1527

Advertisements

Did I peak your interest?? No, this isn't a thread bashing Florida Drivers! I just want to know what are people referring to when they say that people in Florida can't drive.

Is it that they are driving too fast? Too slow? As long as I've been in Florida, I've heard people use that expression, but I have no idea what that means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-24-2007, 07:51 PM
 
8,376 posts, read 27,802,304 times
Reputation: 2367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
Did I peak your interest?? No, this isn't a thread bashing Florida Drivers! I just want to know what are people referring to when they say that people in Florida can't drive.

Is it that they are driving too fast? Too slow? As long as I've been in Florida, I've heard people use that expression, but I have no idea what that means.
To give an example of a "Typical" Florida driver would be impossible. That is where the problem lays! You have tourists, little old blue haired ladies driving Buicks, recent immigrants, and ex-Northeastern drivers all combining in one place. Problem is, each group has thier own style, but none of them really know what thier doing (in general). This makes driving in Florida haphazard and just insane, because there is no single group to blame, but several!

Last edited by compelled to reply; 06-24-2007 at 08:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2007, 08:05 PM
 
2,313 posts, read 2,408,764 times
Reputation: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
Did I peak your interest?? No, this isn't a thread bashing Florida Drivers! I just want to know what are people referring to when they say that people in Florida can't drive.

Is it that they are driving too fast? Too slow? As long as I've been in Florida, I've heard people use that expression, but I have no idea what that means.
There are actually a group of drivers who really can't drive. I don't want to get on the immigrant thing but it is true. Many never drove a car in their lives till they came here. They get a license as an adult but don't really have the skills that most other drivers have who have been driving since their teens. Or if like me I have been driving since I was like 12 on our property.

The fact is, it is much harder for an adult to learn a skill. Many immigrants with valid licenses are actually are far worse then a teen who may be just learning on a permit. They cause accidents or get stopped by police all the time and seem completely mystified as to the laws and what is right and wrong when behind a wheel. I have friends who are police who say they can't believe they managed to get a license.

Then add to that old people who should have turned in their licenses years ago and you have a real problem. There is hardly a time I leave the house I don't at some point have to do something defensive to avoid an accident. South Florida may have some of the least skilled drivers in the country. They don't drive like that on purpose, they really can't drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2007, 08:18 PM
 
8,376 posts, read 27,802,304 times
Reputation: 2367
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
There are actually a group of drivers who really can't drive. I don't want to get on the immigrant thing but it is true. Many never drove a car in their lives till they came here. They get a license as an adult but don't really have the skills that most other drivers have who have been driving since their teens. Or if like me I have been driving since I was like 12 on our property.

The fact is, it is much harder for an adult to learn a skill. Many immigrants with valid licenses are actually are far worse then a teen who may be just learning on a permit. They cause accidents or get stopped by police all the time and seem completely mystified as to the laws and what is right and wrong when behind a wheel. I have friends who are police who say they can't believe they managed to get a license.

Then add to that old people who should have turned in their licenses years ago and you have a real problem. There is hardly a time I leave the house I don't at some point have to do something defensive to avoid an accident. South Florida may have some of the least skilled drivers in the country. They don't drive like that on purpose, they really can't drive.

When you combine this group of people who truly lack driving skills with the agressive NE transplants, I think personally that is what makes driving in peninsular Florida distinctively horrific. So, there really is no particular "Florida driver" after all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2007, 08:37 PM
 
Location: arrlando, flarida
2,227 posts, read 7,550,202 times
Reputation: 492
orlando = aggressive, rude, impatient. besides south fla, orlando is the worst in fla (imo). actually, orlando may be worse than some places in south fla, except for miami --> i couldnt stand it there, especially if i cant stand orlando drivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2007, 09:00 PM
 
102 posts, read 520,339 times
Reputation: 135
floridas weird traffic lights where 2 sides of the road turning the same way have a green light at the same time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2007, 09:05 PM
 
8,376 posts, read 27,802,304 times
Reputation: 2367
You mean a double turning lane?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2007, 09:38 PM
 
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
381 posts, read 1,550,820 times
Reputation: 220
I'd say Florida drivers are generally..... not overly courteous...

I consider myself to be a safe, defensive driver, and I know that there are many times when I would have been in a pretty bad accident had I not been paying close attention and responded when someone pulled out in front of me, didn't yield the right-of-way, ran a red light, etc.

I especially like it when someone pulls out in front of you onto a main road from a side road when there's no one behind you, and then goes 10 mph under the speed limit.

There also seems to be an unusual amount of people with broken turn signals

Oh yeah... and when someone turns into a business and lets all the people with the stop sign go before getting out of the busy road. I really like that one, LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2007, 09:42 PM
 
Location: Palm Beach Gardens, Fla
1,888 posts, read 7,153,558 times
Reputation: 1527
Traffic lights? Wow thats the least of it for me.

My pet peeve is having to deal with people who drive 70 mph in the left lane on 95, people who refuse to turn their lights on in the worst weather, and drivers who don't signal to get in front of you but who'd rather cut you off and cause a near accident for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2007, 09:44 PM
 
Location: Palm Beach Gardens, Fla
1,888 posts, read 7,153,558 times
Reputation: 1527
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineBaby View Post
There also seems to be an unusual amount of people with broken turn signals
I didn't see your comment before I posted mine but isn't that funny we noticed the same thing! I knew I wasn't the only one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:46 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top