U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 03:17 PM

15 posts, read 30,442 times

Advertisements

Hi, just wondering what some of you thought about either florida or ohio. we currently live in the panhandle of florida. Miles away from anything. My kids and I are comfortable here. But I'm just worried that they are not getting the opportunities that they could if we lived in a bigger place. If we go to Ohio we're thinking of either lake erie or ohio valley. Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:55 PM

773 posts, read 1,070,249 times
We moved from the Cleveland suburbs to Florida (Palm Coast) and I think it was the best possible move! There is much more of a community feel here, I think the public schools here are better, and despite what others say we have a ton of activities. The only downside that I can think of is that we don't have arts that Cleveland has, but if we're willing to travel we can have that too. I haven't been to the panhandle, so I can't really compare with there, but I'm thrilled that our children will grow up here in Florida.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:21 PM

1,395 posts, read 1,799,820 times
Why not just move to bigger city in Florida?

Old 08-18-2010, 11:15 PM

11,501 posts, read 8,327,382 times
I would move to the outside of Tampa myself.

Lake Erie is ok, but there is not much to do other then fish and boat for only 6-7 months a year.

Ohio does not have much to offer people to do like Florida has. You need to move down into central Florida to be around the vast things Florida has to offer.

The Ohio valley is not a place to move to. If you are looking for things to do then you surely do not want to move to the Ohio Valley.

There are lots of nice little towns in Ohio to raise your kids but no way does Ohio match Florida in quality of life and things to do as you said you wanted.

We live in central Ohio right now and will be moving to the outer Tampa area soon and cannot wait to get to central Florida to have endless things to do.

Last winter did us in, a broken arm, a black ice wreck, snowed/iced in 3 times, power out over and over again was the last straw.

I know the panhandle and it is extremely beautiful and I do agree with you, not a ton of things to do. It is mainly concentrated around central Florida.

I do not recommend Lake Erie or the Ohio Valley. If you do want to live a nice smaller town close to things to do then I would check out Pickerington, Ohio and many other small towns near central Ohio that are nice family oriented towns.

I would try central Florida first myself.

Not much for kids to do in Ohio compared to what central Florida has to offer.

We are heading to Florida from Ohio soon to do exactly what you want to do. Have some fun, lots of things to do and year around sunshine.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:15 AM

15 posts, read 30,442 times
I guess I'm just thinking how much I can't stand the heat anymore. I'm probably forgetting about the brutal winters up north. I grew up in Ohio. My mother and grandmother live in the Ohio Valley and that's why I was thinking there, to help with the kids. But I really don't like that area. I do like the Lake Erie area. We visited this summer, and went to Cedar Point/ Put in Bay. It was beautiful. You may be right about the winters though. I never had to deal with them as an adult. I just remember the snow as being "fun". I really haven't considered central florida. I do have family that lives in Brandon. Any advice? And thank you so much for the advice that you've given. You don't know how much it helps to have good advice. Thanks again!

Old 08-19-2010, 02:12 AM

2,602 posts, read 4,492,395 times
I think your problem is the Panhandle. Pensacola, Marianna, Wewahitchka, Tallahassee--they're not the most happening places.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:20 AM

6,566 posts, read 6,670,028 times
Ohio is a lovely palce to raise a family, get an education, and live life, but the weather here stinks. We only get 137 days of sunshine per year, seven months of the year are too cold for me, and the winters are not fun due to the snow and cold. I've lived here my whole life and have been planning my escape most of my adult life. We will be full time Florida residents one year from now and we can't wait. You might want to look at the suburbs of Tampa because they offer a lot of what you are looking for and you still get the lovely weather you are accustomed to.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:46 AM

2,150 posts, read 2,661,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaime9394 View Post
Hi, just wondering what some of you thought about either florida or ohio. we currently live in the panhandle of florida. Miles away from anything. My kids and I are comfortable here. But I'm just worried that they are not getting the opportunities that they could if we lived in a bigger place. If we go to Ohio we're thinking of either lake erie or ohio valley. Please let me know what you think. Thanks.
You already know what Florida is like, you've lived here. I say give Ohio a try. I believe that if you have the ability to adapt to the cold weather months you'll have a good quality of life. There really is something to be said for having four very different seasons instead of just two. Like the above poster said. It's a good place to raise a family,get an education and live life. Isn't that what it's all about.You can always cone back here.

Last edited by Ken E; 08-19-2010 at 08:59 AM..

Old 08-19-2010, 09:24 AM

12,389 posts, read 12,359,336 times
I would check out the area near your relatives in Brandon. The Tampa Bay area is a true metro area with a lot of things to do in terms of culture, recreation and social activity and somewhat close to other metro areas like Miami-Ft Lauderdale-West Palm Beach or Orlando which is important should your kids go off to college anytime soon as there are many choices within a couple of hours drive.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:21 PM

2,150 posts, read 2,661,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaime9394 View Post
I see that you've been thinking about moving for quite some time. Family is important when making a decision Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida