Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 03:50 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,450,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
I have a cockatiel that I found in a parking lot about 11 years ago. It sits on the computer when I am in here. They are strange pets, they are so different from us but have a way of connecting. This thing is on me all the time and when I leave if I don't go through the "I'm leaving" ritual with it a will scream for me for like an hour.
You probably know this already, Macguy, but those little cockatiels are the same family as the big white bird - the Cockatoo (remember Columbo's bird?).

I get no real response when I'm leaving the house, they're just like, 'yeah, whatever, okay we'll get in our cages, now leave us alone', but when I come back home I get big 'hellos' like I've been gone for weeks.....it's very sweet.

I love their little feet.....like dinosaurs with feathers !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 03:56 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,157,323 times
This might be a Severe Macaw Description

Physical Description

The Severe is a small Macaw. Sometime called the Chestnut-fronted Macaw. It is a little large than the Hahn Macaw, but much smaller than the larger Macaws. The Severe is primarily green, and looks like a miniiture green Blue and Gold Macaw.
Length

19 inches, up to 22 in some cases
Ave. Lifespan

Sexing

Undeterminable by appearance. However, Males of this species tend to be heavier and larger than females, they tend to be broader across the shoulders and slightly longer... although this is not always the case.
Origin:

Northern S. America
Trainability

This bird is more easily trained than the larger macaws, and is more often recommended as a house pet than the other macaws.
Loudness

Can be loud.
Pricing

Prices usually $750 - $1500.

Severe Macaw Page

Old 06-26-2007, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoktober View Post
What a beautiful bird!! I have a Sun Conure, a Green Cheek Conure, and a Senegal. The Sun is the loudest and most rowdy but is the prettiest.

I loved that movie that was mentioned above. Definitely rent it if you're a bird lover.
Oh! Gorgeous!

Now I want more birds! I only have 2 - the Cherry-Head and an African Grey.

I've heard that about the Suns (very loud). Cherry-Heads are supposed to be bullies, and mine is somewhat that way, but people have remarked on how sweet he is "for a Cherry-Head", so I guess I lucked out .

That Senegal is very pretty......I think he rivals the Sun. The Green-Cheeks are subtle, but cute-looking too.

Old 06-26-2007, 04:00 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,190,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
You probably know this already, Macguy, but those little cockatiels are the same family as the big white bird - the Cockatoo (remember Columbo's bird?).

I get no real response when I'm leaving the house, they're just like, 'yeah, whatever, okay we'll get in our cages, now leave us alone', but when I come back home I get big 'hellos' like I've been gone for weeks.....it's very sweet.

I love their little feet.....like dinosaurs with feathers !
Here a picture
Attached Thumbnails
Florida wild life-burt2.jpg  

Old 06-26-2007, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
This might be a Severe Macaw Description

Physical Description

The Severe is a small Macaw. Sometime called the Chestnut-fronted Macaw. It is a little large than the Hahn Macaw, but much smaller than the larger Macaws. The Severe is primarily green, and looks like a miniiture green Blue and Gold Macaw.

Prices usually $750 - $1500.

Severe Macaw Page
Severes are cool, they're bigger birds than what Macguy's picture is. The Cherry-Head is appx 13 inches (that includes tail).

Another difference is in the eye patch (the white skin around eye). Look at the Severe's - it runs from the eye to the beak as all Macaws' do.

The conure's eye patch is a circle around the eye only - it does not reach the beak. It's hard to see in Macguy's photo, but that is a conure, I'm sure of it.

Conures are closely related to Macaws, so they have a similar look and personality.

Most of these birds we are talking about can live 20, 30 years or more. Some of the bigger birds, such as African Greys and the big Macaws can live for 50, even 75 years! Something to consider for anyone wanting a bird like these.

Old 06-26-2007, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
Here a picture
What kind of hair gel does he use?

Totally cute! And he found you in a parking lot and said 'take me home'? How lucky you are !

Old 06-26-2007, 05:09 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,157,323 times
Lightbulb 200-pound bear captured just outside mall entrance

They are all over!!!! SANFORD - A 200-pound bear that had sat for hours in a pine tree outside a shopping mall jumped to the ground and raced past a mall entrance after firefighters hit it with water from a fire hose and a game warden shot it with a tranquilizer.

No one was hurt, and the bear was soon cornered just outside a J.C. Penney store, where it lost consciousness and was carted away.

But just before noon today, the western parking lot at Seminole Towne Center Mall was like a scene from Marlin Perkins' Wild Kingdom.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
They are all over!!!! SANFORD - A 200-pound bear that had sat for hours in a pine tree outside a shopping mall jumped to the ground and raced past a mall entrance after firefighters hit it with water from a fire hose and a game warden shot it with a tranquilizer.

No one was hurt, and the bear was soon cornered just outside a J.C. Penney store, where it lost consciousness and was carted away.

But just before noon today, the western parking lot at Seminole Towne Center Mall was like a scene from Marlin Perkins' Wild Kingdom.
Poor bear. I'm sure he didn't want to be there either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: