Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 12:40 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,121,070 times

Advertisements

They do this in Oregon. It is illegal to pump your own gas. It would be nice to have someone wash your windows, check your tires and check your oil. Problem is, they don;t do that. They just pump your gas. So now, not only am I paying more at the pump, I almost feel obligated to tip. I would much rather have a 10 cent per gallon tax to fund some other type of program that employs people for a more useful purpose.

I still think chain gangs should be reinstated....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 08:05 PM

216 posts, read 951,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
Some stations tried to have a full service pump with a little higher price in the beginning when the "pump your own gas" began. Then ACLU got involved for charging the handicapped more for their gas and it was stopped. I would guess a place like RaceTrac or many large stations would be happy to send out an employee to pump for a handicapped person if they asked.
Those small buttons that you need to push at the pump are a joke. Not only here in Florida, but other states. Mainly, if you were/are handicapped you need to get out of your vehicle to push the button, so why not just pump your gas? To reach those buttons from the convenience of your vehicle, you'd have to be on the passenger side (since most gas cap fillers are on that side), put the window down, and still have the need of a 6 foot stick, then a bull horn to talk.

I'd rather save the 10 cents a gallon, get out of my car via pulling my wheelchair out, pump & pay myself, then reverse the process putting my chair back in the car. Handicapped is just a word that covers many disabilities, or health problems.
I consider myself handi-capable plus it never bothered me while traveling alone state, to state with not being able to reach those buttons, or right in town.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:13 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,749,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandmanSand View Post
Those small buttons that you need to push at the pump are a joke. Not only here in Florida, but other states. Mainly, if you were/are handicapped you need to get out of your vehicle to push the button, so why not just pump your gas? To reach those buttons from the convenience of your vehicle, you'd have to be on the passenger side (since most gas cap fillers are on that side), put the window down, and still have the need of a 6 foot stick, then a bull horn to talk.

I'd rather save the 10 cents a gallon, get out of my car via pulling my wheelchair out, pump & pay myself, then reverse the process putting my chair back in the car. Handicapped is just a word that covers many disabilities, or health problems.
I consider myself handi-capable plus it never bothered me while traveling alone state, to state with not being able to reach those buttons, or right in town.
I am referring to when they had usually one pair of full service pumps. As soon as you pulled up an attendant came out and they were mostly used by either handicapped or older people who had to pay more for the same gas. That was the argument back then.

Regardless, a lot of handicapped people can drive that could never operate a gas pump. The pump is too high, they can't read the little window on the pump that is hard to read by everybody if you don't look at it just right. I have one where I have to almost cover it with both hands to see it in the daylight. They can't swipe their cards or enter their zips that are required on many pumps. For many people pumping their own gas is all but impossible. It may take a few minutes to get someones attention but in a store like RaceTrack who have attendants wandering around, I am sure they would be happy to pump someones gas and assist them in paying.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:37 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,121,070 times
Quote:
I am referring to when they had usually one pair of full service pumps. As soon as you pulled up an attendant came out and they were mostly used by either handicapped or older people who had to pay more for the same gas. That was the argument back then.

Regardless, a lot of handicapped people can drive that could never operate a gas pump. The pump is too high, they can't read the little window on the pump that is hard to read by everybody if you don't look at it just right. I have one where I have to almost cover it with both hands to see it in the daylight. They can't swipe their cards or enter their zips that are required on many pumps. For many people pumping their own gas is all but impossible. It may take a few minutes to get someones attention but in a store like RaceTrack who have attendants wandering around, I am sure they would be happy to pump someones gas and assist them in paying.

Okay here we go. I'm taking the mean person route. Or perhaps its called, the life isn't fair path.

If you are too old to push button or see, you shouldn't be driving.

If you are unable to hold a credit card, push buttons or fill up your car, you shouldn't be driving.

So sick of everyone else having to pay for a select few. Got to love America, Land of the Free and the Fair. I suppose soon they are going to have to tear down any amusement ride that has a height requirement on it.

If there was a market for too old to pump your gas or too handicapped to pump your gas, there would be stations that serve the markets. Government shouldn't require such a thing. I'm still trying to figure out why I see brail on some pumps.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:33 AM

190 posts, read 650,216 times
Quote:
You are going back to when there were milk men delivering milk eggs and bread to your door. Times have changed. We don't have gas stations with two pumps and,, "Can I check your oil" anymore. I go to a RaceTrack that has 26 pumps and there is often a wait to get to a pump. We pay at the pump with credit and debit cards and get in and out quickly. No one wants to wait around for some guy to pump their gas.

I don't want 8-tracks back either. Even though I am older, I don't long for the so called "Good old days" like many older guys with poor memories of what the good old days used to really be like.
well, im coming from an economic stand point here. create jobs, that kind of thing. i know it isn't going to work everywhere, but maybe have a few stations that offer this. maybe get a few people off unemployment and back making a few bucks.

the days of milk men and 8 tracks have been over, but in some places, they have full service stations, or even certain pumps at stations are full and other pumps are self. at least you have a choice.

also, everyone here seems to be use to the ( walmart ) save money thing. like 10 cents will break you pocket? no one cares about people, mean while there are people that NEED jobs, whats your idea?

Old 08-30-2010, 06:42 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,152,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post

One suggestion I do have for gas stations is to do away with the common line for all other purchases other than fuel. Nothing ticks me off more than standing in a line with thirty people that are fumbling around buying lotto tickets, cigs, sodas, and all their groceries while I'm just trying to pay cash for my fuel purchase.(no I dont use my card at the pumps as the risk of card skimmers is rather high)
Ooooh, I get so irritated dealing with this too.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:42 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,895,749 times
After I first drove through New Jersey and seeing that you can't pump your own gas,the next time I drove through I remember filling up before Jersey so I wouldn't have to put gas there,I have no desire for others to pump my gas.I would imagine there are tons of other jobs that could be created that would be more productive.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:19 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,168,388 times
I remember when you used to have a choice either way. I don't mind pumping my own gas at all, but it would be nice to have an option for someone to check your oil and air in tires like they used to. As a single woman, this would be real handy for me and I wouldn't mind paying extra for the gas for the service.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:33 AM

50,349 posts, read 63,928,555 times
I agree with you, OP. At first, in NJ, we were exasperated at having to have our gas pumped, but it was not more expensive that the other side of the state line, and it sort of reminded me of the old days. I like that some folks get to have those jobs. I would pay a little more to get more people working.
We live in an age in which people are getting phased out..pretty soon there will be no cashiers in grocery stores, and ATMs are elimanating some bank tellers. Customer service is getting rare. I don't like it.
Sort of like the "slow food" movement, I think we need a slow down and relax movement. Sit in your car, decompress, take a breath while the guy outside fills your tank for you.

Last edited by gentlearts; 09-01-2010 at 11:41 AM..

Old 09-01-2010, 12:30 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I agree with you, OP. At first, in NJ, we were exasperated at having to have our gas pumped, but it was not more expensive that the other side of the state line, and it sort of reminded me of the old days. I like that some folks get to have those jobs. I would pay a little more to get more people working.
We live in an age in which people are getting phased out..pretty soon there will be no cashiers in grocery stores, and ATMs are elimanating some bank tellers. Customer service is getting rare. I don't like it.
Sort of like the "slow food" movement, I think we need a slow down and relax movement. Sit in your car, decompress, take a breath while the guy outside fills your tank for you.
That is exactly how I feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida