Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 04:36 AM

190 posts, read 648,149 times

Advertisements

i would totally pay an extra 10 cents a gallon for gas if this state would make more or all the gas stations full service. In NJ, all gas stations are full service. to pay the people 10 dollars an hour would only require 100 gallons per hour to be pumped. and 10 bucks an hour isn't all that much, but its definitely better then no job. not to mention it would help create more tax revenue that is good for the economy and the government.

and 10 cents a gallon isn't bad for the ease of being able to stay in your car and stay out of the heat. and there are a lot of people who work in this heat anyways, so this wouldn't be to bad.

who's with me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 07:09 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,267,675 times
I'm not. I don't like other people pumping my gas.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:24 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,694,095 times
Nope. I'll pump my own and save the ten cents per gallon. Dont like anyone pawing at my vehicle.
The liability concern for the station owner also goes up, for damage caused to vehicles by their employees, workman's comp, health insurance, etc, etc, etc. The ten cent surcharge might have to become .75 per gallon pretty quickly.

One suggestion I do have for gas stations is to do away with the common line for all other purchases other than fuel. Nothing ticks me off more than standing in a line with thirty people that are fumbling around buying lotto tickets, cigs, sodas, and all their groceries while I'm just trying to pay cash for my fuel purchase.(no I dont use my card at the pumps as the risk of card skimmers is rather high)

YC.......

Old 08-23-2010, 07:40 AM

162 posts, read 675,217 times
As a Philly girl who regularly traveled to NJ, I'll pump my own too. I used to get tired of waiting for the attendant to come over. They seemed to have difficulty multi-tasking, i.e., starting to fill one car and then going off to start filling another, while checking back. Can't be bothered.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:50 AM

1,500 posts, read 3,315,820 times
How about paying someone $10/hour to help fix bridges instead. That way, instead of having spalling concrete falling on the car, I won't have to deal with an attendant leaving gas running down my paint.

Besides, for some drivers, after pulling thru the McDrivethru, getting out of their cars to fill up might be the only exercise they get. So aside from the abovementioned additional employee costs, this could place additional strain on the healthcare system. Sorry, but we can't afford attendants. We will have to suffer with pouring our own gas. At least there's still Starbucks where you can pay someone to pour your own coffee.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:10 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,244,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
I'm not. I don't like other people pumping my gas.
I'd drive to a station without full service. Rather save the money. I can do it myself.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:04 AM

17,466 posts, read 38,872,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewu9900 View Post
i would totally pay an extra 10 cents a gallon for gas if this state would make more or all the gas stations full service. In NJ, all gas stations are full service. to pay the people 10 dollars an hour would only require 100 gallons per hour to be pumped. and 10 bucks an hour isn't all that much, but its definitely better then no job. not to mention it would help create more tax revenue that is good for the economy and the government.

and 10 cents a gallon isn't bad for the ease of being able to stay in your car and stay out of the heat. and there are a lot of people who work in this heat anyways, so this wouldn't be to bad.

who's with me?
I am with you! I was just thinking about this yesterday myself! I long to have at least a few full-serve stations who would pump my gas, check my oil and wash my windows, etc.! Lots of ladies would like that, I believe, and even my husband says so too. When he is all dressed for work he doesn't want to get dirty! And I am chemically sensitive and cannot get gas on my hands, I have to have my husband fill my car for me. I would gladly pay the few cents more.

And for all you who wouldn't want it, you don't have to use it - most stations used to have full or self-serve.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:08 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,730,838 times
Quote:

who's with me?
You are going back to when there were milk men delivering milk eggs and bread to your door. Times have changed. We don't have gas stations with two pumps and,, "Can I check your oil" anymore. I go to a RaceTrack that has 26 pumps and there is often a wait to get to a pump. We pay at the pump with credit and debit cards and get in and out quickly. No one wants to wait around for some guy to pump their gas.

I don't want 8-tracks back either. Even though I am older, I don't long for the so called "Good old days" like many older guys with poor memories of what the good old days used to really be like.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:12 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,815,685 times
Quote:

who's with me?
I'll pay 10 cents a gallon less and pump my own gas. You can more though.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:45 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,730,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I'll pay 10 cents a gallon less and pump my own gas. You can more though.
I would probably pay $.10 a gallon more to not have some goof spilling gas down the side of my car and forgetting to put back the oil cap, or miss reading the stick, (the car should sit for a few minutes to check the oil), and over filling it.

And back to my original contention, they would have to have a dozen or more guys pumping gas to not have people sitting in their cars going nuts waiting. I don't really know of any stations near me with less the 12 pumps or more. It would no longer be practical.

Some stations tried to have a full service pump with a little higher price in the beginning when the "pump your own gas" began. Then ACLU got involved for charging the handicapped more for their gas and it was stopped. I would guess a place like RaceTrac or many large stations would be happy to send out an employee to pump for a handicapped person if they asked.

The truth is, years ago when stations were full service and had mechanics there. They would always be trying to create a job out of nothing. Neighborhood gas stations were notorious as nothing but rip-off's when it came to working on your car.
I just want to pump my gas, swipe my card and get the hell out of there and I think most people feel the same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida