Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 08:55 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,396,298 times

Advertisements

In my opinion, the warm waters of Florida beaches make them the best in the country automatically! I've heard the Pacific Ocean is downright cold, and I remember going to the beach in New Jersey in the summer and the water being in the 60s!!!!

80+ for me, please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 01:41 PM

672 posts, read 905,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
In my opinion, the warm waters of Florida beaches make them the best in the country automatically! I've heard the Pacific Ocean is downright cold, and I remember going to the beach in New Jersey in the summer and the water being in the 60s!!!!

80+ for me, please!
When the temperature is 90+ and the heat index is 100+, I just want to COOL OFF. Going in 80+ water doesn't do it. I take colder BATHS than that.

My vote for the nicest beaches goes to the Caribbean.

Old 07-13-2007, 01:52 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,015,431 times
You'll cool off in the Pacific, all right. Brrr.
I like the Caribbean, too. And the coast off Croatia.
Every beach has its good points as well as its vulnerabilities.
Different people have different needs and wants.
I don't think I could pick just one as being the best of all.
But in terms of clean water, beauty and seclusion, the beaches of northwest Florida are hard to beat. No high-rises, dazzling white sand, and hardly any people.

Old 07-13-2007, 02:21 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,034,770 times
Default Why Florida needs to get its act together

No matter how lousy the politics, the crime, the property taxes, the inflated housing prices, the shrinking middle class, the schools, the hurricanes, the HOI, etc. , these pictures will forever draw "outsiders" to your beautiful state. As much as many would choose to focus on the negatives, the most unmistakable value of Florida is the fact that it still is a natural wonder.

Old 07-13-2007, 02:37 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,158,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
No matter how lousy the politics, the crime, the property taxes, the inflated housing prices, the shrinking middle class, the schools, the hurricanes, the HOI, etc. , these pictures will forever draw "outsiders" to your beautiful state. As much as many would choose to focus on the negatives, the most unmistakable value of Florida is the fact that it still is a natural wonder.

I will agree, many millions of people visit the state just for our beaches. We have many choices from the rich and famous locations to the small beaches that provide some privacy. We have Navarre beach a few miles from our house, Pcola Beach about 15 miles away, Destin about 30 plus miles...Beautiful beaches that others dream about and pay serious $$$$$$ just to be here for a day or two....

Old 07-13-2007, 03:07 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,662,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMom72 View Post
When the temperature is 90+ and the heat index is 100+, I just want to COOL OFF. Going in 80+ water doesn't do it. I take colder BATHS than that.

My vote for the nicest beaches goes to the Caribbean.
Post is: Florida's 2007 Top Beaches

Been the Caribbean and probably wont go back, nice beaches but nasty otherwise and not safe anymore.

I will take Siesta Keys, Anna Maria or Destin first, at least I know my towel and cooler wont be stolen like it was in the Caribbean.

Also, Maui beats the crap of out any Caribbean Beach hands down.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:28 PM

33 posts, read 151,145 times
I live in florida and when my mom comes we scout out beaches all over. I have to say we went to siesta key and could not figure out why it is rated so high. I found it smelly and crowded and thought good then they dont know where I love to go most, it is still a secret.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:58 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,158,065 times
Lightbulb Feathered and Fishy Beach Frustrations

Many vacationers were not happy: Feathered and fishy frustrations along the water in Volusia County. A portion of the beach between International Speedway Boulevard and Lennox in Daytona Beach is roped off to everyone because of a pair of Black Skimmers and their chick. The birds are federally protected, which means the county had no choice to close the beach to keep them save.

Wildlife workers are keeping a close eye on the birds because of worries sea gulls might attack them. Meanwhile, a fish kill caused a smelly scene Tuesday in Ponce Inlet. Hundreds of dead fish were found sending a foul stench into the air. Tests are now being done on the fish to see what caused them to go belly up.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:13 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,561,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
thank you for that comment & I think sometimes we as Floridians forget how special this state is in regards to our beaches & coastlines and the environment. Go to the Texas gulf coast and you will see offshore oil drilling platforms while you bathe in the Gulf of Mexico!

Old 08-07-2007, 08:15 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,464,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INTERNETTE View Post
I live in florida and when my mom comes we scout out beaches all over. I have to say we went to siesta key and could not figure out why it is rated so high. I found it smelly and crowded and thought good then they dont know where I love to go most, it is still a secret.
I live 25 minutes from Siesta key and its beaches and I agree. It is a nice beach but it has its problems like any place else. That white sand isn't exactly cheap, just ask Sarasota residents how much they paid after the hurricanes to have it all trucked in. Parking will not be free for much longer either as proposed parking meters will be voted on. Usually siesta is very crowded and not a quiet relaxing atmosphere if that's what you are looking for. I do enjoy going there from time to time , but there are other beaches close by that nobody goes to very often, that's where you'll find me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida