U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 07:27 PM

19 posts, read 120,175 times

Advertisements

hello all! I am moving to Southern FL in Aug. either West Palm Beach, or Lake Worth can anyone give me any advice. I have never been to FL so I'm pretty nervous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 07:32 PM

934 posts, read 2,607,812 times
Default West Palm is nice

West Palm Beach is very nice. It's not far from Boca Raton and Ft. Lauderdale. Boca Raton is beautiful. We flew into the airport at West Palm and boy, you should see those houses! They are huge and the water at the beach was so aqua blue it matched the water in the pools at those huge houses! There's tons to do on the east coast of Florida also. It's much different than the west coast, more fast paced and the people are a bit different there then on the west coast. Mostly the people are from the northeast whereas on the west coast of Fl. the people are from the midwest.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:34 PM

8,376 posts, read 27,781,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj2575 View Post
hello all! I am moving to Southern FL in Aug. either West Palm Beach, or Lake Worth can anyone give me any advice. I have never been to FL so I'm pretty nervous.
Do NOT move to WPB or Lake Worth. Crime levels in these communities are so high, they rank among America's most dangerous. Those huge houses are across the river from some of America's poorest urban neighorhoods.

DO look into Boca Raton (far commute to WPB if your working there) Wellington (Better commute), Palm Beach Gardens, and Jupiter. If you pick the right neighborhood, Delray Beach and west Boynon Beach can be options as well. If you want to know more specifics feel free to PM me .

Old 06-27-2007, 08:22 PM

326 posts, read 371,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj2575 View Post
From my experiences and research, if you are looking for low crime areas, your best bets might be either broward county or central/south miami-dade county.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triton1 View Post
From my experiences and research, if you are looking for low crime areas, your best bets might be either broward county or central/south miami-dade county.
I second Broward County as a Browrad resident. But DEFINITELY not Miami Dade.

I live in west Broward and it tends to be a leave-your-doors-unlocked type of place. Certainly not true for all of Broward, though! Still plenty of spots that you would want to avoid, but the majority of the county is pretty safe.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:35 PM

326 posts, read 371,534 times
[quote=fort lauderdale;964485] But DEFINITELY not Miami Dade. QUOTE]

From my research, miami-dade is not that dangerous anymore. in fact, my research has, so far, identified just 3 areas of miami-dade to avoid at all costs. They are; opa-locka, liberty city, and little haiti, and they are all located on the northwest side of the miami metropolitan area. (Although there may be a few spots in coconut grove and southeast Little Havana that may get slightly rough, especially at night.)

Old 06-27-2007, 08:43 PM

[quote=triton1;964552]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
But DEFINITELY not Miami Dade. QUOTE]

From my research, miami-dade is not that dangerous anymore. in fact, my research has, so far, identified just 3 areas of miami-dade to avoid at all costs. They are; opa-locka, liberty city, and little haiti, and they are all located on the northwest side of the miami metropolitan area. (Although there may be a few spots in coconut grove and southeast Little Havana that may get slightly rough, especially at night.)
Crime is signifigantly under reported in Dade county, and the actual quality of life offered in Miami-Dade would be one of the lowest in the country.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:50 PM

1,335 posts, read 4,376,540 times
i wouldnt recommend moving to south florida unless u have to. i just moved from lauderdale/broward county after 5 yrs and do not recommend moving there unless absolutely necessary. if u have a ton of money and have family or good friends there u can trust then it could work out, otherwise be very careful.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
i wouldnt recommend moving to south florida unless u have to. i just moved from lauderdale/broward county after 5 yrs and do not recommend moving there unless absolutely necessary. if u have a ton of money and have family or good friends there u can trust then it could work out, otherwise be very careful.
I tend to agree about the ton of money part, but it is not hell here!

Old 06-28-2007, 08:38 AM

58 posts, read 218,255 times
Regardless of the crime and quality of life issues, living in any part of Miami/Dade and commuting to WPB and/or Lake Worth isn't realistic. You'd be on the road for hours each day and your sanity would be in shreds by the end of the first month. For the record though, I lived in South Miami Dade (Palmetto Bay) for 8 years; its not a bad place to live if you can deal with the heavy traffic and the fact that you have to drive long distances to get anywhere, the ridiculously overcrowded schools, and if you can afford it--its gotten pricey. I never felt that it was unsafe though and that was with two teenagers running in and out all the time. Having said that, however, there are many parts of Miami Dade that I would not feel safe.

I have recently moved to east Fort Lauderdale and agree with the observation that it is much safer generally, and a lot more pleasant (dare I say normal?) than the Miami area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or