Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 07:57 PM

183 posts, read 1,133,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kort677 View Post
let's clarify this, there's off site built modular homes and then there's manufactured trailer style homes, I wouldn't consider a trailer but off site manufactured and assembled on site homes are usually indistinguishable from a normally constructed home.
That may be true, but even though they are "indistinguishable" to the average eye that doesn't make them the same.
When the house goes up for sale years down the road the appraiser will be able to distinguish the difference in price based on the year of construction. They are cheaply made and not as as good as "normally constucted" homes, which is why they are cheaper. Otherwise, everyone would have them. Do yourself a favour and stay away from them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 08:08 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,203,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newteacher View Post
That may be true, but even though they are "indistinguishable" to the average eye that doesn't make them the same.
When the house goes up for sale years down the road the appraiser will be able to distinguish the difference in price based on the year of construction. They are cheaply made and not as as good as "normally constucted" homes, which is why they are cheaper. Otherwise, everyone would have them. Do yourself a favour and stay away from them.
that's just not true, you either don't know what you are talking about or you are confused. Factory built site installed housing is the same as stick built housing

Old 07-05-2007, 11:34 AM

10 posts, read 51,636 times
I have been doing some research and according to some sites the modular homes are put together on cement brick foundations and that they are just as good or even better than a stick home. Manufactured homes on the other hand are the ones which are tied down.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:39 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,035,168 times
Question Can you afford to start over?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazlene View Post
Hello everyone, My husband (38yr warehouse worker/ part-time musician/DJ) and I (35 yr Massage therapist / Data entry clerk) live in a small town in Northern NJ. We have decided to move to Florida by the end of this year. We are tired of all the noise and I am ready to make a change after living here all my life.
We would like to move to a nice, quiet, low crime area a location close enough that I can commute to Tampa, which is where I am planning to work. We would like to buy a home in the low 200s putting 20% down since we don't have much money and we will be starting from scratch. I've have heard of Odessa, Lutz, Land o' Lakes, Lakeland (heard crime is bad here) and even a someplace named Anthony, which someone stated was a hidden treasure.
We would not like to get into any HOA or community fees since we heard they limit what you can do to your home, like having to ask permission to paint your home etc. We are also concern about these thing called sink holes??? never heard of it here in Jersey until I starting reading the threads. If anyone can offer us some advise we really will appreciate it. Thank you in advance.
[b]Not a criticism, but just another vantage point... are you possibly putting your occupational cart before the horse? Both your husband and you are moving to Florida without jobs, looking for possible positions in a fully saturated market? You will be leaving your clientèle back in Jersey, essentially moving to a "better place???", competing with an established market. Unfortunately, your skills are commonplace in most segments of Florida, and your anticipated pay rates will be closer to minimum wage, as opposed to, a livable wage(s). Do you have a bankroll or outside financial support to allow you to establish an occupational foundation?[b]

Old 07-05-2007, 04:54 PM

937 posts, read 2,889,271 times
Default I am from Jersey/NY

Just wanted to mention that I grew up in NY and then moved to Jersey.
Yes, Jersey is getting way over priced as well as NY. I did live in SW Florida for 7 years and now I am back up north. I guess Florida is not for everyone.
Alot of people are finding that out and moving out of the state. Too much problems going on down there let alone the hurricanes and the sink holes.

You need to see for yourself if you will like it there. It was nice in the beginning for us, but we had enough of all the nonsense that goes on down there.
Good luck in your move and be happy. You can always move if you change your mind.

Old 07-10-2007, 05:34 AM

10 posts, read 51,636 times
Thank you all for your advise/comments.
Yeah, I think we need to think about this a little further. Retiredcoach I get what you are saying. We do have money saved up in an account that can keep us secure enough for a yr. in case we don't find work right away. I just spoke to a relative who lives in Tampa and works in the Town n Country hospital, she said she can get me a job there. We will just have to take a trip and see. If we decide we will rent for about 4-6 months so we can scope out some areas where we can buy our home, that is if we like it enough to make the permanent move. Anything is cheaper than Jersey, I pay 7,000 just in taxes a yr.

Old 07-10-2007, 02:27 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,129,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debi1957 View Post
I hate Florida...have lived here all my life...we are contemplating a move to MA soon! can't wait. If you HAVE to move here...I would consider Plant City, which is where I live. Crime is low in the country portion, not city...Walden lakes etc...very populated. You want to be in the are of 39 and knights griffin road. It is very country out here. Schools stink in all of Florida and if I had kids I would FLY out of here. NO way would I let them go to a Florida school, public or private. There is nothing to do unless it involves mouse ears and tons of money. Just not my thing at all!!! Good luck!

Wow that's interesting, because I live one block from one of the highest rated elementary public schools in the country, and it says "Florida" on my driver's license.

It is sad that you didn't get to see more of the very diverse state you have lived in for so long.

Old 07-10-2007, 02:33 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,655,552 times
Bring Pizza with ya! And Bagels!

Other than that, just make sure you're ready to store your long pants haha

Old 07-11-2007, 08:53 PM

9 posts, read 50,482 times
Audacious,
I'm looking to move from New York to Volusia, what about jobs and what are the salaries, I hear they are not good at all. I also read on this forum that good paying jobs are very hard to find.

Old 07-13-2007, 05:31 PM

432 posts, read 1,879,150 times
I live in northern NJ also and am originally from south FL. A few things to consider -

Your housing dollar will buy more for the money. However, if you are looking for relief from living in a congested area, you really need to see what is what. Tampa is pretty crowded. And in the 200s, you will want to really evaluate the neighborhood, schools, and commute. You may find that an HOA is not a bad idea after all, depending on the community.

No substitute for visiting this summer, and getting a feel for the real thing in the real heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida