Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 02:53 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,167,793 times

Advertisements

Do you think FL is a dog friendly place?? I find it not to be so true in my area. I have friends outwest who are telling me they can take their dogs pretty much anywhere?? I can't take my dog everywhere in Sarasota. I called Home Depot ones to see if pets allowed, NO! Only service dogs.

I know in Sarasota they are allowed to dine outside with you, and we've done it many times, I would bring them to Downtown area and we would have lunch with friends, and dogs would be hanging out with us, we never had problems. Also, i love Marina Jack park, i can bring my dogs there as well, on the leash of course!!
But that's pretty much it.

I don't take mine to the dog parks, i take them in open areas where they can run off leash safely. I found Venice Doggie Beach is an excellent place where they can be off leash and swim in the water.

What about your places, can you take your dogs anywhere??

BTW, here is my pair

My male Sabre

http://intruecolors.smugmug.com/photos/149093598-M-7.jpg (broken link)

My female Roxy

http://intruecolors.smugmug.com/photos/128639281-M-7.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 03:04 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Gorgeous shepherds!
I don't think Colorado in general or Denver in particular are all that dog-friendly--even though so many people have dogs.
Northern Florida has been great for Elwood.
In Florida, the Port St Joe area Gulf beaches are both uncrowded and very dog-friendly. There is a leash law, but the beach patrol are very mellow about people letting their dogs off the lead as long as they are careful and courteous.

Here at Fernandina Beach (pic below), the rules are the same but it is a bit busier.
I have to be more careful because not everyone appreciates a slobbery dog.

Old 06-28-2007, 03:14 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
I think Miami is pet friendly. One of the best parks in Miami right on the water has a dog friendly section with water and benches. I have seen big dogs like Goldens at places like Home Depot, Restoration Hardware, Pottery Barn, Crab Tree & Evelyn, I hear even Nordstrom Department store in Coral Gables even allows dogs on leashes (though I haven't seen this one other than dogs in a bag). Many restaurants with outdoor eating sections down here allow pets also.

Old 06-28-2007, 03:25 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,096,716 times
Lowes and Home Depot may not allow pets but i've seen them in peoples carts before. Not big dogs but not service dogs either.

Old 06-28-2007, 03:27 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,295,611 times
I LOVE the pet pictures, absolutely LOVE them...I am partial to those shephards...when I was a child I had a female named Countess...she was almost like my Mother, she stayed so close to me and made sure I didn't get into much trouble.

We have a Home depot here and it right next to a Petsmart and people bring their pets in their all the time...
We also have a nice pet beach over at Ponce Inlet.

I live about halfway in between Orlando and Daytona.

Old 06-28-2007, 04:50 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,167,793 times
It's nice to know what our pets at least have beaches to play LOL. Thanks for sharing your pets!

Old 06-28-2007, 09:15 PM

183 posts, read 1,133,539 times
Our boys

Buddy and I (he's a handful!)

We're all moving to Ocala in a week... no more snow for us!

Old 06-29-2007, 09:51 AM

7 posts, read 93,690 times
I love dogs, they're so great in many ways. Unfortunately not a lot of places in Fl think so. Even if the people here are. People who own their own homes have a better chance of a good life for their animals. Depending on the area you live in it can vary. You happen to live in what we younger people call the geriatric capitol of the world. & unless those people are into pets, there NOT into pets at all. In Naples we have 1 special park for dogs called Rover Run. We don't have a dog at this time, but the kids like it cuz the get to play with other people's dogs

Old 06-29-2007, 04:14 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Default Jax is so-so for being dog-friendly

Jax is okay for dogs, but I think it could be a lot better.

We have dog parks. There's a fair amount of them in Duval & St. John's county, you just have to seek them out, they're not all well known. We have the city-run ones and some private ones too. The city ones are free (and quite nice) and the private ones require a membership or an entry fee.

Dogs are usually welcome at outdoor cafe seating (not that we have too many outdoor cafe seating places, but we have some scattered around the city).

They are welcome in the pet stores, of course.

They are welcome on the beach during specified hours - but not off-leash. We take our dogs to the beach for walks and it makes me nervous when I see people with dogs off leash. My dogs are very relaxed at the sight of other dogs, but if a loose dog was to come up to them and challenge them it will not end well, so it kind of ruins the experience for me.

Old 06-29-2007, 05:34 PM
gym

4 posts, read 16,903 times
We have 2 to 3 large dogs, always, Rott, Labs, over the last 15 yrs. but when I moved down in 94 from NY. I had a real problem finding an apartment that would take a dog over 20 lbs. After I bought my house that was no longer a problem. So if you are renting or have an association to deal with, make sure they take dogs. I had to rent in another town, Deerfield Beach, which wasn't my first choice, since I wanted to live in Boca, no one likes big dogs in Boca. I used to take my rottie to "Mizner Park", an upscale shopping plaza, with all the fancy stores, just to watch people jump off the sidewalks as he walked next to me, he was very well behaved, great with my grand kids, but the Paris Hilton types, would be terrified as he walked by. I always wanted to take him into tiffany's or cartier, just to hear the glass break, lol, not nearly as dog friendly as I thought it was prior to moving here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida