Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2006, 10:32 PM

94 posts, read 481,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dig02 View Post
I'm a school teacher here and can't afford to buy a house even though my husband works and I work after care and private tutoring as well. We live simple lives with our two kids (No overly expensive cars, clothing, etc etc). So we're Leaving to eihter GA, or NC. It's a shame because my family is here and I truly love Florida.
the school situation in north carolina is not any better than it is in florida. if you do some research on it you will perhaps see---that is if the school people here in nc actually have the balls to show all the stuff they do. schools here are completely over crowded, kids have to change schools every year...why i am not sure, because to me this does not fix anything! if you have more than one son/daughther, your kids may be sent off to different schools more than 30 miles away from each other!

Old 10-24-2006, 03:48 AM

36 posts, read 104,511 times
First of all Florida is not what it used to be 15 years ago. We live in Central Florida. Planning to sell our house and relocate to Nothern Colorado. Ft. Collins/ Loveland area. Mis the seasons, hate the florida heat and humidity. Way to many people from the Northern states are distroying what use to be a safe and nice place to live. Orlando has gotten to be one of the worst cities to live in. Politics has ( Republicans ) have lined there pockets and have had there way in this state. To much corruption. I look forward in getting out of this hell hole of a state. after being here 16 years. The hurracanes cost of living, insurance have also contributed in making my desition.

Old 10-24-2006, 07:18 AM

5 posts, read 62,008 times
We moved to Charlotte county 5 years ago from NC....got hit by Charley, then by shoddy (licenced) contractors, then by more then double homeowners insurance and high property tax....what once was "almost paradise," now seems more like the attack on the middleclass....just can't afford to live here....the cost of living also went out of control. Kids came to vist from Wisconsin and going grocery shopping blew them away...even fruit and veggies are cheaper up there....go figure.....

Old 11-03-2006, 09:59 AM

42 posts, read 122,658 times
Default the best part of FL

I moved from NJ to Holiday, FL 7 years ago. Maybe it's the part of FL I moved to, but things have been great here. My neighborhood is fantastic, my taxes are low and my insurance is not that high at all. We haven't had a direct hit from a hurricane and we aren't in a flood zone. There is no crime in my neighborhood and it's a great place to raise a family. We're close to some great attractions yet in a nice quiet neighborhood. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Old 11-03-2006, 11:26 AM

800 posts, read 3,087,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboosmom View Post
We are going to Pennsylvania. We want more property and to be closer to the rest of our family! If the family was here we wouldn't go anywhere though.

I am lucky. My family from PA moved here after I did so we are all happy in Florida!

What part of PA are you returning to? Go Steelers! Go Eagles!!

Old 11-03-2006, 02:09 PM

269 posts, read 1,056,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee2e View Post
I am lucky. My family from PA moved here after I did so we are all happy in Florida!

What part of PA are you returning to? Go Steelers! Go Eagles!!
Same here Dee...5 houses worth. We're from the right side of the state.

Old 11-03-2006, 08:26 PM

4 posts, read 8,478 times
born and bred Floridian - but right now we are staying here but we are looking for land in West TN - currently live in Thonotosassa, FL - too many people are moving to FL

Old 11-03-2006, 11:36 PM

656 posts, read 1,374,635 times
It's not for everyone. It IS for me and my huge family.

It's not as expensive as everyone makes it out to be, it's just that it used to be a LOT cheaper than other tourist/retirement spots. We did get used to that and hated to see it race up to catch up with Maimi etc.

I, like the rest of you could live wherever I want, and I have. Done Hawaii, CA, AZ, and Italy and this is where we are for at least 20 yrs. I make more here than I would most anywhere else, and work my butt off to do it but it's like anywhere esle, you network (grew up here so I have a headstart), be the best at what you do and market whatever it is you have better than those in your district (surprisingly easy here). That's how you would do it anywhere.... have three retirement plans, too. At least one could go south on you.
You're on a computer posting and reading, if Florida's your dream you're halfway there! Just keep researching, asking, meeting people if only via bits. You will be far better prepared than all of those people that just jump off the plane and go "here we go". We will assist you. We may be honest at times, but if we were coming to your state with our nest egg, we would apprecate you doing the same for us.
If you love what you've seen of Fla so far, you will achieve your dream. You will find the good spots, avoid the bad spots and we can make you a streamlined happy cracker in no time flat! Don't be scared by a few rough spots in the road, just don't be in denial about the fact that they are there, and WHY they are there!

Many people say that we crackers dont like to see nawthaners coming in, but its not true. We like to see you when you first arrive, and take you out to our secert spots and show you a good meal, and dern good time and even a bit of political gossip! We love ya!

Old 11-04-2006, 04:55 AM

800 posts, read 3,087,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scamutz View Post
Same here Dee...5 houses worth. We're from the right side of the state.

LOL, I was born and raised in the right side of PA, have my family in the middle of the state, then moved to the left side of the state. I've called Florida home since the mid 80s. My football teams get here often to play Florida's three teams! And ya gotta love DirectTV!

Old 11-04-2006, 08:37 AM

5,701 posts, read 24,155,464 times
Everyone has a unique need and Florida might be the place to be or not. Is all up to the person/family. I can't complaint, live in Navarre and this was the best area that we found in 22 years of moving with the USAF. Going on our 8 year and loving each day.

We should also realize that many individuals still see Florida as the "Future retirement place". Some areas in northern states are more expensive and over populated. The Florida state still has many areas that are small but close to larger cities that makes it comfortable for older and younger families to purchase and relocate.

The north central and west part of the state is undeveloped based on a comparison with the southern location. This will change in the next 10 - 15 years as individuals are finding the comfort of our locale.

My advice, look at the northwest and north central part of the state and purchase now dirt cheap, in 10 years your investment will triple or quadruple. Just like many folks did in the early 60’s and 70’s in south/central Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida