Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 01:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,946 times

Advertisements

I would love to move to Florida, but I am not sure where would be the best place. I just completed the MBA program in Marketing but I have little experience and I desperately seeking a job. I am currently living in NJ but I am finding it difficult to find a job. First of all I am looking for a place with great job opportunities. Secondly, somewhere with little or no crime rate and a great neighborhood. I am in my 20s so I am also looking for a place where there are lots of stuff to do ( I do not want to live in MIA or Fort Lauderdale) Any suggestions? Help please.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 02:58 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
If you read some of the dozens of other posts in this section basically asking the same question you may find many varying answers .. not sure jobs are abundant in Florida at the moment ,try an online jobsearch site to get an idea.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:06 PM

27,205 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salnelle View Post
I would love to move to Florida, but I am not sure where would be the best place. I just completed the MBA program in Marketing but I have little experience and I desperately seeking a job. I am currently living in NJ but I am finding it difficult to find a job. First of all I am looking for a place with great job opportunities. Secondly, somewhere with little or no crime rate and a great neighborhood. I am in my 20s so I am also looking for a place where there are lots of stuff to do ( I do not want to live in MIA or Fort Lauderdale) Any suggestions? Help please.......
I too live in the Northeast (Philadelphia) and have had difficulty finding any professional level position. The bright spot about looking in Florida for a job is the lack of necessity of finding a high-paying job as one can live with an entry level salary here to get started if need be. If you're ruling out Miami/Fort Lauderdale, the next logical place to focus would be the Tampa Bay area as it is the next largest metro area in the state after South Florida. The Bay area offers a lower cost of living and a wide range of geography to focus your search on. Tampa, St Petersburg and Clearwater are the three largest cities in the area and you would probably want to job search all three separately. There is plenty to do in terms of entertainment...bars/clubs, cultural events/concerts, pro sports, beaches and more. The cost of living differential is mind-blowing compared to what you're used to in NJ. Check it out, and good luck!

Old 10-04-2010, 08:58 AM

4 posts, read 7,972 times
Having lived in both Tampa and the Orlando area, I would recommend Central Florida if you are looking to stay long term. There are plenty of marketing opportunities in Orlando and in as little as a 20-30 minute drive you can live in FABULOUS communities. The surrounding cities are nice depending on your life style. Debary, Sanford, Lake Mary are all nice cities within minutes of the busy Orlando area.

***MOD CUT***

Last edited by doggiebus; 10-04-2010 at 02:50 PM.. Reason: Advertising

Old 10-05-2010, 10:28 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,619,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salnelle View Post
Florida is not the place for great job opportunities-if you find such a place let us know....
Tampa/St. Pete has 13% unemployment-so do not move here without a job lined up. Also, Florida salaries are generally lower than the north-since you are young this may not be a problem. Orlando I believe has a little more marketing jobs-also crime tends to be higher in some parts of Florida-I suggest you read the Department of Labor unemployment and research crime statistics. I believe City Data Forum has this information as well. Have you looked into Pittsburgh or the D.C. area where job opportunities are better? Before you move anywhere you need to do some serious research-
Good luck!

Old 10-05-2010, 01:03 PM

263 posts, read 889,677 times
Default It's not impossible

It just takes planning and research, something you are probably used to if you have a degree. Your degree should be useful for hotels, condos, cruise lines, theme parks, travel agencies, etc.

People make broad generalizations when replying to the type of thread. They respond with there is too much crime, too little pay, too little jobs, and it's too hot, as if that applies to every county in the state. It can be very disheartening to someone. The population, crime, weather, jobs, culture, etc varies from region to region.

We made a list of what we really wanted, and started looking for jobs. We also thought about places we had visited in Florida and the pros and cons of each place. One year later, and we are both going to be there with jobs. Hubby is already there working, and mine will start 2-3 weeks after I make the move. We were lucky to be able to land in our number one pick, Brevard County. Hubby found a job in his chosen career field, and I found one I consider to be temporary.

It took research and planning, but so far we've made it. Jobs are scarce in some particular fields. Marketing and Health care will always be needed in Florida, just like bars, law enforcement, theme parks, and prisons. You just need to know where to look. Check the local government websites in some counties you may be interested in, and they will show you where to apply. Florida also has it's own website for state employment, but I don't know if I'm allowed to post it here, you should find it by googling.

HTH

Old 10-06-2010, 07:30 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,304,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
Florida is not the place for great job opportunities-if you find such a place let us know....
Tampa/St. Pete has 13% unemployment-so do not move here without a job lined up. Also, Florida salaries are generally lower than the north-since you are young this may not be a problem. Orlando I believe has a little more marketing jobs-also crime tends to be higher in some parts of Florida-I suggest you read the Department of Labor unemployment and research crime statistics. I believe City Data Forum has this information as well. Have you looked into Pittsburgh or the D.C. area where job opportunities are better? Before you move anywhere you need to do some serious research-
Good luck!

In another post you said you moved to Florida because of a JOB offer.

So you got a job in Florida and move from Denver to Florida because of a JOB and now you are telling people not to move because there are no jobs.

Sorry but maybe this person who is well educated and in marketing could land a very good job.

Stop being so negative, Florida is the 4th most populated state in America for a reason.

OP- Marketing is a major part of the Orlando area. I would agree to stick and the Orlando suburbs to live and hopefully land a job in Orlando.

( Disney, Sea World, etc all have their own large marketing teams )

Pay little to zero attention to those who want to move out of Florida as they all have their reasons why they hate Florida.

Many people have moved to Florida and done extremely well while some have not done well.

Research is key and with your education I am sure you will be doing a ton of research.

Maybe by then some of the haters will be in the snow so there is more room for people who love the sunshine.

Good luck!

Old 10-06-2010, 09:37 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,619,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
In another post you said you moved to Florida because of a JOB offer.

So you got a job in Florida and move from Denver to Florida because of a JOB and now you are telling people not to move because there are no jobs.

Sorry but maybe this person who is well educated and in marketing could land a very good job.

Stop being so negative, Florida is the 4th most populated state in America for a reason.

OP- Marketing is a major part of the Orlando area. I would agree to stick and the Orlando suburbs to live and hopefully land a job in Orlando.

( Disney, Sea World, etc all have their own large marketing teams )

Pay little to zero attention to those who want to move out of Florida as they all have their reasons why they hate Florida.

Many people have moved to Florida and done extremely well while some have not done well.

Research is key and with your education I am sure you will be doing a ton of research.

Maybe by then some of the haters will be in the snow so there is more room for people who love the sunshine.

Good luck!
First off-I didn't tell him not to move here-I told him not to move without a job-I also told him to look into Orlando so how is that bashing the state? If you have anything to say to me please don't "bash" me in a public forum-it's in poor taste-

Old 10-06-2010, 10:28 AM

908 posts, read 1,829,184 times
I do not live there, but Florida has one of the worst unemployment rates in America and was the only state to have a drop in wages across the board. Please research well and have a secure job before moving to a state in such a fragile economice situation.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:42 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,304,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
First off-I didn't tell him not to move here-I told him not to move without a job-I also told him to look into Orlando so how is that bashing the state? If you have anything to say to me please don't "bash" me in a public forum-it's in poor taste-

I did not bash you at all.

I merely said that you moved to Florida because you found a job there.

The OP can do the same and with a marketing degree. The OP's chances of landing a job could be very good or better then most with that degree in marketing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida