Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2007, 09:37 AM

3 posts, read 7,725 times

Advertisements

I am just a 20 year old kid from Boston and I'm sick of it. I have lived in this same 2nd floor apartment since the day I was born. I just want to get away from here.

I don't know which part of Florida is best for me, money wise. I'm not worried about crime or any of that, I was born and raised in the city and have pretty much seen it all on the streets and in my own home. Here's whats going on: I have a 1 year old Rottweiler/shepherd mix who is roughly 100lbs that is coming with me. I don't care where it is that I go as long as it's not a complete dump like the Miami beach area that I vacationed in back in 2005. If in a small town, I'd like to be somewhere remotely close to the city and transportation.

I have about $5,000-$6,000 saved up right now to fall back on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 09:53 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,304,816 times
Off the top of my head, I would suggest the Tampa Bay area on the west coast, the Daytona area on the east coast.

Of course northern Florida is cheaper and in some cases may offer a better quality of life, but I wonder, being from Boston, how you may adjust culturally to northern Florida, whereas the Tampa Bay area and Daytona seem like they would offer a smoother transition.

Having said that, you may want to research some northern Florida communities that may fit your bill, so to speak, both money-wise and in cultural terms. Maybe some forum members resident in northern Florida can suggest suitable communities for a young person from a northeast US metropolis with a big dog.

In any case, good luck!

Old 06-30-2007, 09:57 AM

....also meant to add that my grandparents (they live on the 1st floor of where I'm living now in Boston) have a condo in West Palm that they live in every winter (no dogs and age 55+ thought)... so I was thinking about staying close but not an absolute necessity

Old 06-30-2007, 10:00 AM

cool, thanks bale... I will do some research. As far as the Boston to Florida transition... I hear that areas like Ft. Lauderdale, Del Ray, and especially Boca (to name a few) have a LOT of people from Boston... mostly retirees though I think.

Funny side story: I'm scared to move into southern Florida areas. My friend from Boston went to college at FL southern for a year, and came home pernouncing his R's !!!!!

Old 06-30-2007, 10:10 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,304,816 times
Yes, the main problem from your perspective in Palm Beach County is that it features retirement-age people and high cost of living. Fort Lauderdale can be a lot of fun, but it is densely populated and expensive; you may be able to find cheap digs, but you may have to comprise too much on space and quality, especially if you have a large dog.

That's why I suggested the Daytona area (not that far from Orlando, a major city), probably the youngest crowd going from West Palm Beach northward.

Old 06-30-2007, 11:38 AM

183 posts, read 1,133,887 times
I'm from south/jersey/philly area... I'm 23 and moving to FL with my hubby and 2 large dogs, too. What do you plan to do for work? I'm a teacher, so that's why I am moving to FL, and my hubby is an electrician, so he can work anywhere.

Old 06-30-2007, 12:34 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,692,145 times
will you have a job, you for safety could check out the new tampa area,
even st pete near the beach area. lots of places here do allow big dogs.
deerfield beach area is also nice, expensive. i do think tampa offers the best job wise for you.

Old 06-30-2007, 04:47 PM

12 posts, read 38,167 times
after living in West Palm Beach area for 17 years, I have definitely noticed a lot more younger people living and staying here. It was more blue hairs than anything else back in the day. Now the city has transformed into something much different than when I originally came to...for the better in my opinion. Sure the oldsters are still here but so are many more younger people. The high cost of real estate is a big problem though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida