Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 08:04 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,594,567 times

Advertisements

Appears this is contagious, though nobody was killed this time. This is a good example how the Stand Your Ground law is being abused. Though I wasn't there, it did not sound like this guy was in any danger.

West Boca road rage shooting: Delray man arrested in West Boca road rage shooting - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 08:22 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,322,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wenge2ful View Post
Then.leave...
The only ones I'm scared of are the loons running around with guns strapped to them thinking it's cool playing Walker Texas Ranger.

I don't feel threatened by others, nor have such low confidence to think everyone is out to get me and I need to have a gun strapped to me at all times.

Maybe if one does have such a fear of the outside world then they should be the ones to leave, or maybe even better, taken to an institute where they could relax and be assured they're safe from everyone else.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
The only ones I'm scared of are the loons running around with guns strapped to them thinking it's cool playing Walker Texas Ranger.

I don't feel threatened by others, nor have such low confidence to think everyone is out to get me and I need to have a gun strapped to me at all times.

Maybe if one does have such a fear of the outside world then they should be the ones to leave, or maybe even better, taken to an institute where they could relax and be assured they're safe from everyone else.
More of "The Outlaw Josey Wales", instead of a horse they drive Cadillacs and Pick-up trucks with NRA stickers ablazed. Not that there is anything wrong with it, just don't be so trigger happy. I blow my horn all the time at morons sitting at the light texting or playing with their smart phones or just not paying attention, the light is green I wait and nothing happens, others blow behind me so I blow. It's getting to the point now where you can't even do that without fear of getting gun downed.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:22 PM

228 posts, read 536,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
I already addressed the issue of reacting to someone getting out of the car in front of you.

Who is the scumbag? The guy the got out of the car, approached the other driver and reached in to his car?

Why couldn't the guy that got out of the car and approached the other driver call the police? It certainly would have been much quicker to do that than get out of the car and approach the other car.

If he hadn't have left his car he would still be alive. Quite simple.
Agreed. It is tragic someone lost their live, but why did he "rush" the car and try to open the door? What was he going to do if he got the door open? How did the driver know this guy didn't have a weapon?
Also the article read "seemed to be tailgating"....

Old 09-20-2010, 10:23 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
Appears this is contagious, though nobody was killed this time. This is a good example how the Stand Your Ground law is being abused. Though I wasn't there, it did not sound like this guy was in any danger.

West Boca road rage shooting: Delray man arrested in West Boca road rage shooting - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com
There is no similarity between these 2 incidents in regards to the stand your ground law.

In one the person stayed in their car while a person approached and tried to reach in to open the door and was then shot.

In the other the person with the gun pursued a car that drove away.

How is this in any way a good example of the stand your ground law being abused?

Old 09-20-2010, 10:51 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,464,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coolcustomer View Post
This jerk Murdock didn't fear for his life while he was instigating the incident by tailgating, big tough guy probably had one hand on the wheel and the other on the trigger the whole time the tailgating was going on. I see this all the time the big SUV or truck bearing down on the little economy car. Best thing would have been for Civic to slam on the brakes let Tundra shove the rear bumper up behind the back seat and sue the crap outta Murdock for injuries sustained for Murdock following to close.

Anyhow doesn't seem Murdork is 100% out of the weeds yet, could still be charged later and I hope he does and then he can get the beatdown in prison he deserved in the first place.

I agree. Sounds like he was another jerk who used tailgating as a means to bully people. Hand on his gun ready to fire when he finally pushed somebody a little too far. The guy is a creep and should be in jail.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:52 AM

Quote:
There is no similarity between these 2 incidents in regards to the stand your ground law.

In one the person stayed in their car while a person approached and tried to reach in to open the door and was then shot.

In the other the person with the gun pursued a car that drove away.

How is this in any way a good example of the stand your ground law being abused?
Yes it is a different case of events, but I would not surprised if this guy hires a high priced lawyer and claims he felt threatened and use the Stand Your Ground law as a means to get out of it. There is a fine line between right and wrong here and many are incompetent to abide by it. This law gives a lot of power to the citizen, much of which can be misused out of ignorance.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:16 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
Yes it is a different case of events, but I would not surprised if this guy hires a high priced lawyer and claims he felt threatened and use the Stand Your Ground law as a means to get out of it. There is a fine line between right and wrong here and many are incompetent to abide by it. This law gives a lot of power to the citizen, much of which can be misused out of ignorance.
I guess anyone could try that but the fact the other car drove away and he pursued makes it completely different from the first incident in the thread.

I really don't see a fine line between the 2, more like a gaping crevasse.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
I guess anyone could try that but the fact the other car drove away and he pursued makes it completely different from the first incident in the thread.

I really don't see a fine line between the 2, more like a gaping crevasse.
When I said "Fine Line", I meant the law in general, not this incident.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:07 PM

296 posts, read 228,466 times
Guns are not for the weak & the fearful...

Everyone should know his limitations & live accordingly...

Whoever is afraid of guns,should not use them & ...take his chances.

He may never be attacked,therefore...no problem.

However,if he is ever attacked,he should sit tight &...enjoy it....

To paraphrase a past TX gov candidate,pretend it ...is raining...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida