Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2012, 01:43 PM

613 posts, read 759,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Sure. I didn't mention any of tax breaks you get when owning a home either.

Yeah, you did not mention that but you also did not mention the taxes you have to pay either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 02:06 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theredsnowman View Post
Yeah, you did not mention that but you also did not mention the taxes you have to pay either.
I could not rent my house for what I pay in PITI each month. Not to mention that I can paint it and decorate it however I want, I can have two large dogs, and in the not too distant future it will be paid off and an appreciable asset.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:09 PM

613 posts, read 759,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post
Yeah, I know. I should've done it sooner.
Good luck and I would not hesitate for a moment to break a deal with the bank.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:16 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I could not rent my house for what I pay in PITI each month. Not to mention that I can paint it and decorate it however I want, I can have two large dogs, and in the not too distant future it will be paid off and an appreciable asset.
The logic makes little sense unless you can live for free somehow at today's low rates.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:48 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
The logic makes little sense unless you can live for free somehow at today's low rates.
Huh? I know what homes in my neighborhood rent for, and I know what it costs me to live in my home. The rents are higher than I pay for PITI. Either way I'd have to pay all the utilities. And I wouldn't get any tax write offs as a tenant.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:45 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Huh? I know what homes in my neighborhood rent for, and I know what it costs me to live in my home. The rents are higher than I pay for PITI. Either way I'd have to pay all the utilities. And I wouldn't get any tax write offs as a tenant.
I agree with you. I'm saying the logic of the other poster makes no financial sense.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:34 AM

792 posts, read 2,292,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinet View Post
I know this has has been posted before, but short selling your home is often a much more effective way of doing things. If you are still financially stable and not in a hardship, you may have to come up with some money to get a complete release from your loan. It usually beats having a large judgement over your head or having to file bk.

I've worked on over 60 short sales in the past couple years and every situation or reason for doing it is different. We just had a guy that made $350k a year get a full release out of his property that he could still afford for a $10,000 contribution of which the buyer paid $2000. Some people would look negatively at a person like that, but he bought the condo for his daughter at $320,000 at the peak and it sold for $107,000. There are some situations where it doesn't make any financial sense not to try and get out.

In some cases the banks are offering cash move out programs right now up to $20,000 as well. They are also much more willing to work with people with short selling their home than they have been in the past. I've seen people short sell their home and pay their mortgage until the day they moved out.

If you want to stay in your home their are other options like refi and loan mods, but the success rate on those are pretty low still.

Ignoring the problem or "Screwing" the banks really isn't necessary if you meet with a qualified attorney/realtor/loan person and figure out a plan there are much better ways of doing it.
My attorney's exact words: "The only people who benefit from short sales are realtors".

Reason being, your credit is already shot if you go through a short sale and you've given up all the money you could have saved while living there during the foreclosure process. Often times having to pay out of pocket to just get the deal done and not to mention all the hassle of fighting with the bank to get them to accept an offer. For what? So you can move and start paying rent sooner, have less money in your pocket and still take the hit to your credit? No thanks.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:25 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
My attorney's exact words: "The only people who benefit from short sales are realtors".

Reason being, your credit is already shot if you go through a short sale and you've given up all the money you could have saved while living there during the foreclosure process. Often times having to pay out of pocket to just get the deal done and not to mention all the hassle of fighting with the bank to get them to accept an offer. For what? So you can move and start paying rent sooner, have less money in your pocket and still take the hit to your credit? No thanks.
The hit is not nearly as bad as a foreclosure, not to mention that remote chance that somehow they will find a way to come after you for a deficiency judgement

Old 02-14-2012, 08:53 AM

1,708 posts, read 4,399,602 times
Quote:

LOL and guess who's the only one who benefits from you doing what your doing? He wouldn't be getting his monthly payments if you stopped the foreclosure process. My attorney told me that.

Your credit wouldn't be shot already if you didn't stop making payments months ago. A short sale will ding your credit 80-150pts vs completely ruining it by going into foreclosure.

A properly done short sale will get a full release from the lender and show up as settled where a foreclosure will give the lender the option to pursue you for up to 20 years for the deficiency and will stay be on your credit for 7. Unless you are filing bankruptcy that's an awfully long time to wait with it looming over you.

A short sale you can buy a home again in 2 years, a foreclosure will take a lot longer.

Simple fact is if you are trying to milk the system (as it sounds like you are doing) than a foreclosure seems like a great short term option. The money you save seems nice, but have fun with no credit for the next 5-10 years. If you figure in what you are paying your attorney, court costs, filing bankruptcy, higher interest paid (if you can find credit) and the fact you may have to end up paying the deficiency you really aren't saving any money.

If you are actually trying to solve your situation there are much better options.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:59 PM

792 posts, read 2,292,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinet View Post

If you are actually trying to solve your situation there are much better options.
No there is not. Handing someone like you a commission check does not help me.

Save the sales pitch.

I researched all those avenues long before I stopped paying my mortgage and it became very clear that a short sale was much less beneficial to me(financially) than a strategic default.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida