U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 04:46 PM

2 posts, read 5,220 times
Default Moving from NYC to Florida

I'm currently an undergraduate student in New York with about a year left. I live with my parents to save up some money. I'm majoring in media studies which is essentially about video production and film. Ideally I would like to work at a Television studio or a similar job in film or broadcasting. I'm looking for your advice by bringing up my discontent with New York to see if this state is suitable for me.

I'm considering moving out of NYC for several reasons. The top reason on my list would be the weather. I want to live in a place that is warm all year round.

Next would be the cost of living. In my opinion NYC is very over priced. Even though the jobs generally pay more, I don't believe it evens out. I'm also disappointed with the availability of apartments. The environment of NYC is another issue. I don't mean the physical environment, but the attitudes of the people. Obviously, everyone here probably knows the stereotypes of New Yorkers.

The environment of my potential new destination is important as well. I want to live somewhere that is productive for 20 somethings, but I don't care too much about nightlife (bars, clubs, restaurants).

My career is also a big concern. New York is much more productive for my field. Will be able to find a job in this state? Should I work in NYC for a few years, save money and gain experience, and then move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 05:03 PM

2,227 posts, read 5,729,051 times
nyc vs fla job opportunites = w/o a doubt, advantage goes to nyc

weather = fla w/o a doubt.

cost of living = fla, but wages much lower than nyc. advantage goes to fla imo.

ppl/attitudes = tough one, but advantage goes to fla. but it depends on where you are. many nyc'ers moved to south fla, so i dont know if you will find much of a difference. unfortunately, the struggles you have in nyc are found down here. so many northeasterners moved here/are moving here, that southern hospitality, courtesy, and things of that nature are pretty much far and between in many large fla cities. it sucks, especially for many natives who have watched south fla, tampa, and orlando areas turn into what you are trying to escape. you could look into another route (which many floridians are being forced/choosing to do) and look into atlanta and charlotte areas.

Old 07-02-2007, 05:07 PM

172 posts, read 562,836 times
what is your field? what area of florida do you plan to move to?

if youre leaving to escape the attitude of new yorkers, south florida isnt the place to go lol, most of us here are ex newyorkers/ nj residents.

that is however where the bulk of professional opportunities lie so keep that in mind aswell.

also keep in mind that coming from NYC unless you move to tampa, miami, orlando or any of the big cities or cities close to them prepare for a huge shock.

things wont be as convenient, you wont be walking to the neighberhood corner store, youll drive pretty much everywhere and theres gona be a lot less to do. for the most part.

what do you look for in a city?

Old 07-02-2007, 05:07 PM

971 posts, read 2,567,066 times
One thing I've noticed is that most of the decent apts in Florida seem to offer some amenities, and square footage is bigger. Since you're in New York I don't have to tell you that you get no amenities unless you pay big bucks.

For someone just out of school though...maybe it would be better to stay in NY for a few years first? Or there are other warm places that might have a better job mkt than Florida you could consider--Atlanta and NC, for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yes70 View Post
I'm currently an undergraduate student in New York with about a year left. I live with my parents to save up some money. I'm majoring in media studies which is essentially about video production and film. Ideally I would like to work at a Television studio or a similar job in film or broadcasting. I'm looking for your advice by bringing up my discontent with New York to see if this state is suitable for me.

I'm considering moving out of NYC for several reasons. The top reason on my list would be the weather. I want to live in a place that is warm all year round.

Next would be the cost of living. In my opinion NYC is very over priced. Even though the jobs generally pay more, I don't believe it evens out. I'm also disappointed with the availability of apartments. The environment of NYC is another issue. I don't mean the physical environment, but the attitudes of the people. Obviously, everyone here probably knows the stereotypes of New Yorkers.

The environment of my potential new destination is important as well. I want to live somewhere that is productive for 20 somethings, but I don't care too much about nightlife (bars, clubs, restaurants).

My career is also a big concern. New York is much more productive for my field. Will be able to find a job in this state? Should I work in NYC for a few years, save money and gain experience, and then move?

Old 07-02-2007, 05:19 PM

1,346 posts, read 122,088 times
Quote:

my view of FLA is that it is a place to come to after you've made your fortunes, not a place to try and make a fortune. That said there are many fields that you can work at here in FLA and make decent money.
I think you've answered your own question when you noted that your career is important.
The best advice would be, if you can lock down a decent job in FLA I would consider the move, if you come to FLA looking for work, that would be a big mistake, stay in NY

Old 07-02-2007, 05:23 PM

172 posts, read 562,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kort677 View Post
my view of FLA is that it is a place to come to after you've made your fortunes, not a place to try and make a fortune. That said there are many fields that you can work at here in FLA and make decent money.
I think you've answered your own question when you noted that your career is important.
The best advice would be, if you can lock down a decent job in FLA I would consider the move, if you come to FLA looking for work, that would be a big mistake, stay in NY
i agree wholeheartedly.

Old 07-04-2007, 11:02 AM

10 posts, read 34,235 times
Stay in NY, hopefully you can find a job up here. Take your vacations in Florida and scout out the areas you like. By the time you find something hopefully the real estate market & insurance will stablize, and you will have profesional expereince to put down, and have a better idea of where you want to live. Life in Florida unless you have a trust fund is not all South Beach or downtown Ft Lauderdale like the tv shows.

Old 07-04-2007, 11:24 AM

1,272 posts, read 2,636,037 times
the job market in florida, anywhere in florida, is nowhere near as robust as the ny metro area or any other major metro area....its hit or miss down here even if u r very qualified with an economy based on sunshine, tourism and a crumbling real estate market

Old 07-04-2007, 12:56 PM

8,204 posts, read 23,303,729 times
Quote:

Hi Yes70,

While I agree with much of what is said above, I think you have some other options as well.

I am somewhat familiar with your industry. I am from NYC and had many friends and a long-term relationship with someone in the film industry.

No matter where you end up, having some film experience with NYC on your resume is a big boost - so I would start there. Even if you end up doing PA work, lighting, whatever - get some experience in NYC however you can - for a year, or two or more if you can stand it.

Then start looking southward if you still have the itch (and I get it....I moved here too ).

2 cities come to mind for you:

Orlando: A lot of post-production work here, and obviously, a lot of animation.

Jacksonville: Jville was 'the Hollywood of Florida' as you probably know. Tons of film history in Jax. What many people don't know is the current revival of filming in Jax.

"Rockett" was just filmed here (Jimmy Fallon, Sharon Stone) by a brand new production company and they have a second film planned already with Robert Duvall.

"Tigerland" (Colin Farrell), "G.I. Jane" (Demi Moore) and many other movies have been filmed here in recent years. John Travolta really likes filing here as it's "local" for him (he lives in the Ocala area). Here's a link to our city's webpage where they list some of the recent filmings here:

http://www.coj.net/Departments/Jacks...cksonville.htm

We also have a growing film festival every year. John Waters was the guest of honor at the recent one that just passed:

http://www.jacksonvillefilmfestival.com/

There is a rebuilding of the old Norman Studios in the Arlington part of Jacksonville - they are turning it into a museum:

http://www.normanstudios.org/

So, I'd say, get a couple of years under your belt and then see what options are here for you to pursue.

Best of Luck !

Old 12-17-2008, 02:09 PM

155 posts, read 245,456 times
well if you do move here, expect a lot of crime, ugly home[ except winter park], no job opportunity, rude people, bad drivers, i use to live in new york and were moving back up, florida is not a great place to live
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida