U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2010, 08:20 PM

9 posts, read 31,941 times

Advertisements

hey folks,

I'm up in brooksville and checked out a property with arsenic in the water well.

The government seems to provide and maintain a filter to clear it out.

anyone have any experience with arsenic in the well water? does it make a house really hard to sell? is it considered treatable enough to not be an issue?

thanks - peter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 08:53 PM

8,488 posts, read 17,932,473 times
Being there haven't been a huge amount of homes found with the problem I would look for one that doesn't have an issue.
It is mostly the homes close to Powell and Batten but I would have the well tested if you are looking anywhere in the SE portion of the county.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:23 AM

9 posts, read 31,941 times
thanks for the input mike - not sure what I'm going to do because I really liked the property after looking around for months. I'm gonna consult an appraiser to help come up with an appropriate offer considering the need to filter the water. thanks again

Old 06-16-2017, 06:27 AM

1 posts, read 377 times
This is not a reply, but a new question on this subject. I'm at the last day of inspection period today and need some advice. About to purchase a 10.5 acre home that is a "project home".(needs finishing touches interior primarily). I was just made aware of the arsenic issue 2 days ago. The county is coming on Monday to test the water and won't get the results for 4 weeks. It's located on Powell. I'm totally ignorant to this issue but would like to know any thoughts about if we should go for it due to less than market value we will be purchasing it for, or leave it be. Is arsenic in the water a deal breaker or is it manageable? Also it is bank owned, and I'm sure they don't care about this subject. Please please please advise quickly.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:51 AM

17,521 posts, read 10,605,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole44 View Post
This is not a reply, but a new question on this subject. I'm at the last day of inspection period today and need some advice. About to purchase a 10.5 acre home that is a "project home".(needs finishing touches interior primarily). I was just made aware of the arsenic issue 2 days ago. The county is coming on Monday to test the water and won't get the results for 4 weeks. It's located on Powell. I'm totally ignorant to this issue but would like to know any thoughts about if we should go for it due to less than market value we will be purchasing it for, or leave it be. Is arsenic in the water a deal breaker or is it manageable? Also it is bank owned, and I'm sure they don't care about this subject. Please please please advise quickly.
This might help

Arsenic in Private Well Water: Frequently Asked Questions | MassDEP

If something you want to be sure of, you should be able to extend the period or cancel and re-offer and start again as it were.

Old 06-16-2017, 05:10 PM

1,354 posts, read 1,394,341 times
With arsenic in the water, why do you believe it is below market value? It could be significantly above market. The market for properties with a defect like that is smaller and may take longer to sell. Why did the seller not disclose the presence of arsenic in the water with their initial disclosures?

Old 06-17-2017, 08:27 PM

3,926 posts, read 4,773,823 times
If you go with a reverse osmosis filter it should solve your problem. I have seen them at numerous homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida