Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 12:51 PM

136 posts, read 479,833 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I see all of these mobile homes in senior parks 55 and over for $3k to $8k and $300 or $400 space rent that are looking in very good shape.

Where I live, a house falling down is $500k and it is unsafe and the schools suck. This looks like a deal to me.

Are there any added fees? If I buy a mobile home for $5000 and pay $400 for space rent, are there any more fees I have to pay?

In Florida, do I need hurricane insurance? If my mobile home was wiped out by a hurricane, I would just buy another one for $5k and take a chance. Is it mandatory to have hurricane insurance? if so how much $$

Also, if it is space rent and I'm not a share holder, am I paying property tax or vehicle fees? What would this cost me?

Are there any other costs involved in having a mobile home other than repairs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 02:32 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,490,700 times
Well, I'll quickly just throw in a few thoughts, perhaps getting back to you later.
You may also have HOA fees, to help keep up the park, common areas, activities, pools, social centers, etc. Those vary greatly both in cost and what they include.
You would still want liability insurance, in case someone slips on your front stoop, etc.

There is good and bad about this......but a friend of mine who owns a 600k home up north also owns a double wide that he paid a small amount for in a nice 55+ community. He fixed it up, has liability insurance, etc.

He likes his Florida place better and will soon sell his northern palace.

Frank

Old 10-09-2010, 09:03 AM
tlw

96 posts, read 428,453 times
Just curious ......... where are you seeing the over 55 mobile parks with homes in that price range??

Old 10-09-2010, 10:08 AM

18,923 posts, read 43,219,633 times
The ones you're seeing for $5k are probably the really old ones. I'd recommend looking for one built after 1994 (when the new HUD law took effect) that is rated as 'wind zone II' (or III), these are the ones that usually have shingle roofs and plywood under the vinyl siding, they hold up much better to hurricanes.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:18 PM

19 posts, read 126,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnor1713 View Post
Hey everyone,

I see all of these mobile homes in senior parks 55 and over for $3k to $8k and $300 or $400 space rent that are looking in very good shape.

Are there any added fees? If I buy a mobile home for $5000 and pay $400 for space rent, are there any more fees I have to pay?

In Florida, do I need hurricane insurance? If my mobile home was wiped out by a hurricane, I would just buy another one for $5k and take a chance. Is it mandatory to have hurricane insurance? if so how much $$

Also, if it is space rent and I'm not a share holder, am I paying property tax or vehicle fees? What would this cost me?

Are there any other costs involved in having a mobile home other than repairs?
Most 55+ mobile home parks in Florida don't have HOA fees, unless they're high dollar places. Lot rent on most parks include the lot space, water, sewer, garbage, and basic lawn care (most, not all parks are the same). The price that you state of the cost of the home is probably an older one. As someone mentioned, do buy liability insurance in case someone was to get hurt on your property.

You'll have the cost of insurance, a sticker for the window each year (tag fee) if a double wide 2x the fee, and a title fee for the home. Tag fee on my Mom's home is $75, times two, taxes around $100 yearly. If you can afford it blowing away in the wind, most times very few hurricanes, why insure it fully. Sometimes I've seen homes in these prices even come fully furnished all the way to silverware.

It's not a gamble, it's actually a cheap way to live here. Most parks have a pool, and monthly activities, shuffle board wheee. Most people are from Northern states, and if you can deal with waving hello to everyone that passes by you'll get along. If you own a golf cart you'll fit right in even more

Last edited by justaspacecoaster; 10-10-2010 at 08:26 PM..

Old 10-10-2010, 08:29 PM

19 posts, read 126,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlw View Post
Just curious ......... where are you seeing the over 55 mobile parks with homes in that price range??
Just do a search for them on eBay, they have quite a few.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:50 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,218,845 times
There's a bunch of small parks around here that have deals like that. A friend of mine just bought a nice little 2 bedroom with a carport, utility shed, completly furnished right down to the linen and silverware in perfect condition for under $ 9000. He pays around 400 lot rent per month which includes mowing, rubbish p/u ect. That way he can snowbird for pretty cheap money. He's actually within walking distance to the Gulf so its a good deal for him.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:02 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,326,488 times
Also keep in mind that when we have hurricanes in the area, the mobile homes are the first ones that they evacuate. If you have pets, while there are shelters that will take you, you must be quick. If you or your partner have special medical needs of course there are shelters that take you but again you must be quick.
I feel more safe in my cement block home with a generator standing by.
I recall the destruction the hurricanes caused to mobile homes, even just strong winds wrecked havoc. It all depends on what your willing to put up with.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:34 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,240,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Also keep in mind that when we have hurricanes in the area, the mobile homes are the first ones that they evacuate. If you have pets, while there are shelters that will take you, you must be quick. If you or your partner have special medical needs of course there are shelters that take you but again you must be quick.
I feel more safe in my cement block home with a generator standing by.
I recall the destruction the hurricanes caused to mobile homes, even just strong winds wrecked havoc. It all depends on what your willing to put up with.

Hey Lindsey!
Have not seen you post for a long time.
Welcome back.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:17 AM

199 posts, read 526,270 times
I am not fond of lot rent fees, they can go up, and up. You will most likely pay more for a mobile home on your own lot, but that way you know what your expenses are. Also I have been in mobile home parks 35 years old and they all survived hurricanes. ie metal roof, tie down straps etc. Depends on the location, besides you can buy hurricane insurance, a little pricey but affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida