U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-11-2010, 09:15 AM

263 posts, read 448,784 times
Default Best time of year to buy a house in Florida?

I'm hoping to not get a bunch of "anytime because the housing market stinks for sellers" responses. I'm talking about more than just as far as price...

I've heard late summer or fall is the best time of year to buy a house in my area. There's less competition and lower prices. The weather is not too crappy yet, people who have school aged children don't want to be messing with moving right now, and sellers are getting even more determined to sell.

What about in Florida? Is there a lot of competition for places due to snow birds or other factors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 10:48 AM

2,602 posts, read 4,328,124 times
The seedlings don't hatch until Spring, so...

Old 10-11-2010, 11:03 AM

2,651 posts, read 2,474,659 times
I hear that spring is a busy season because snowbirds don't like to buy until the very end of their stay. Nothing wrecks a peaceful vacation like having to negotiate a house sale and then fly back and pack! This said, I think there are two kinds of home sellers these days. The desperate sellers who are already in foreclosure, or pre-foreclosure, or reduced already down to nothing, and the sellers who'd like to leave Florida (like myself) but aren't in any rush or financial straits and season doesn't really matter. Another thought, Floridians who have their home for sale and who might be going north might not be too anxious to jump into the cold winter environment. As much as we'd love to sell our house and start our life up north, we're also not complaining if we get to spend another winter here.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:22 AM

3,252 posts, read 4,079,559 times
I hope someone can answer this question with real facts as we will be buying soon. I do know that rents were a lot less back in December and Jan than they were in July/August. I have no idea if the buying a house works the same way. I think for the most part, many people are selling their houses to get from them and many are in distress. Because of this, I think there is no prime time of the year to buy a home. Again, I would love it if someone with real knowledge/experience/facts could weigh in.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:50 AM

810 posts, read 788,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
I hope someone can answer this question with real facts as we will be buying soon. I do know that rents were a lot less back in December and Jan than they were in July/August. I have no idea if the buying a house works the same way. I think for the most part, many people are selling their houses to get from them and many are in distress. Because of this, I think there is no prime time of the year to buy a home. Again, I would love it if someone with real knowledge/experience/facts could weigh in.
yes rents & home prices are still falling. it's not the time of the year but the bursting of the housing bubble. no one knows when the housing market is gonna bottom, how long is gonna be in the bottom and how long is gonna take for prices to go up

Old 10-11-2010, 12:25 PM

4,475 posts, read 8,090,496 times
From the 'all real estate is local' files, I can say there is no way in hell I'd want to be trying to buy here in late spring-summer 2011 when the Army starts moving 2,000+ Green Berets and their families into my relatively small metro area and is only providing on base housing for about 10-15% of the new arrivals. We never had the mass speculative overbuilding that the peninsula did, and there just haven't been a ton of foreclosures/short sales on the market for an area this size by Florida standards, so I'd be tempted to say that it's better to buy here by the end of 2010 instead of holding out to a point where sellers can literally see the Army starting to march down from North Carolina all set save them from having to reduce asking price any further.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:22 PM

3,252 posts, read 4,079,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hialeah_Rules View Post
yes rents & home prices are still falling. it's not the time of the year but the bursting of the housing bubble. no one knows when the housing market is gonna bottom, how long is gonna be in the bottom and how long is gonna take for prices to go up

I guess it depends on the area. Tampa Bay area houses are renting for more than they did back in December of 2009.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:06 PM

19 posts, read 58,598 times
There really is no certain time of the year where homes sell better then other months. You have to take into consideration that there's bases here for all the armed forces. Poeple get transfered, then they have to sell a home (if they are not renting). Also, you have to consider what you didn't want answers for - short sales & foreclosed homes. Rent increases when it begins to get cold in the Northern states.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:55 PM

2,130 posts, read 2,551,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
I guess it depends on the area. Tampa Bay area houses are renting for more than they did back in December of 2009.
Supply and demand. All those forclosed people have to live somewhere.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:33 AM

6,715 posts, read 12,212,972 times
Well I can tell you that our busiest months are Feb-Aug. Which is the exact opposite of what you usually hear for "season". I would say Feb-Mar are always the busiest and right before school starts in the end of June-July.

So, I guess you could assume Sept-Jan would be the best time to buy because of less competition. Many people get involved with the holidays and they don't want to be bothered with house hunting. And many seller feel the same way and put their houses up after the holidays. Of course if it's a bank owned home they are thinking a little differently.

If you are making an offer on a bank owned home try to make the closing not run into to next month. For instance, if you write the contract on Oct 12th then do not extend the closing past the end of Nov. The banks like to close out their sales in the third week of each month, if possible. Sometimes they will accept one contract over another because it is written like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida