Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2010, 08:31 PM

2 posts, read 3,277 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am new to this site and as the title states, I am from the UK and considering moving to Florida.
I am a registered nurse and have joined an agency to help me pass the NCLEX exams and I briefly lived in Florida (7months) in 2006 as a resort representative. I have read a lot of negative comments about moving to Florida and frankly now thinking maybe Florida is not the best move. I have no children yet but I am married.I know all places have their positive and negative points of living and I would be very grateful of some good honest advice. Where in Florida is relatively safe to live with nice areas to raise a family. I have read tons of information and what seems to be getting mentioned is rising crime rates, decrease in jobs available and low wages. My husband would need to get a job as the agency only places myself in employment, what are his chances of getting a job in the current climate. I know I am new but I am not naive, I am trying my best to make an informed decision. I obviously want a better life for me and my husband hence wanting to leave the UK (which I know many may think is crazy). I would really appreciate some feedback.

Many thanks

Cheryl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 12:13 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,146,653 times
please be very wary of any agency promising you a nursing job once youi pass the Nclex. they will be wanting fees from you without mentioning retrogression.

basically you can be qualified to nurse in the US, you can receive a job offer...and then you will have to wait 4/5/6 years for your visa, it will take that long.

My wife is a nurse -did everything you talk about -and we are now coming on my work visa as we couldnt wait for her nursing to get us in !!! I also know someone qualified nurse -whose paperwork has been 'in process' with an agency for 4 years -they keep telling her it is being dealt with......they are stringing her along.

be careful..do some research

Old 10-23-2010, 03:17 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
If you are coming to Fla deal with the government when comes to official paperwork as private agencies will take your money and may or may not come through with expected results.

Old 10-23-2010, 05:39 AM

2 posts, read 3,277 times
Hi there,

Thank you for the replies, I will take your advice on board. I hope this is not the case with the company im with!!!!! Florida as a place to live though, if all does go to plan would you recommend it?

Many thanks

Cheryl

Old 10-24-2010, 02:11 AM

Cheryl -if you DM us the details of your agency we can tell you if it is the same one . (begins with O )

in any event anyone promising you a visa quickly should be treated with suspicion

Old 10-24-2010, 04:57 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryl1980 View Post
Hi there,

Thank you for the replies, I will take your advice on board. I hope this is not the case with the company im with!!!!! Florida as a place to live though, if all does go to plan would you recommend it?

Many thanks

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl!

Florida is a large, very diverse state and as a result can vary considerably. I'll attempt to give you a snapshot of each region and a link to better define each.

The most populated area of the state is South Florida (even though in theory it should be called SE Florida). It comprises the area from roughly Jupiter on south to the southside of Miami. It's the most diverse area (heavily Hispanic in the southern half of the region)), the most congested by and large, has the most expensive cost of living in the state, and has the highest crime rate by and large. The up side is it has the most to offer in terms of culture, recreation, etc. and where you would most likely receive the most job offers.
South Florida metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

SW Florida comprises the region from Naples northward to Sarasota.
It has a reputation as a vacation/retiree area though many families choose to live there as well. It lacks a major metropolitan area which leaves it lacking in terms of things to do for many, but if you prefer a quieter pace of life it could be a good fit for you. Worth noting the Fort Myers-Cape Coral area led the nation in home foreclosures at one point, and is quite depressed economically. Southwest Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Central Florida is predominately referred to as the Orlando metropolitan area but actually extends eastward to the coast and encompasses both the Daytona Beach and Melbourne areas as well. As you might imagine the overwhelming focus of the area is on tourism (Walt Disney World, Universal Studios, Sea World, etc) and as a result can be quite congested due in part to an inadequate transportation system, particularly in the Orlando area proper. Crime has risen in the Orlando area to the point where it rivals the much more populated Miami-Fort Lauderdale area.
Central Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Tampa Bay area is the second most populated metropolitan area in the state and encompasses the semi circle of counties surrounding Tampa Bay itself. It is very diversified economically and maintains an urban lifestyle to some extent without many of the minuses. I'm somewhat prejudiced as I settled here myself. Tampa Bay Area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Jacksonville metro area is the fourth largest in the state and offers a distinctly different lifestyle than other places in Florida. Due to its geography it is decidedly less tropical and offers more in the way of discernible seasons.
Jacksonville offers a more urban lifestyle and unlike other urban centers in the state has a lower cost of living, contrasting with neighboring St Augustine (America's oldest city) which offers an old world Spanish feel. Jacksonville in particular seems right now more driven in terms of growth and infrastructure improvement, more so than other cities in the state. (IMO)
Jacksonville, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Panhandle comprises the area from Tallahassee (the state capitol) westward to Pensacola. This area feels far less like Florida and draws more comparison to the neighboring states of Georgia or Alabama due to its culture and population. The area around Pensacola boasts the lowest unemployment rate in the state. Many feel the beaches in the area are the nicest in the state. The westernmost area is very prone to hits from hurricanes and tropical storms. Like the SW Florida area, it's lacking in terms of a major metropolitan city. Florida Panhandle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are of course many other areas in between but perhaps this can help you focus in on one or two areas of interest. Good luck!

Old 10-24-2010, 08:58 AM

495 posts, read 2,328,398 times
If you like rural living with a short commute to work, consider Gainesville.There are some nice rural bedroom communities with easy drives via I-75 to town like Alachua on the north and Micanopy on the South that offer rural lifestyles with nice amenities in Gainesville.

Big health care industry there with three hospitals and the unemployment rate is one of the lowest in the state. Also the real estate market there has not been hurt as bad as other areas.

The downside is that jobs available for your husband may not pay that well because of lots of cheap labor from the large college student population. But the University does offer a lot of interesting fringe benefits for locals like museums, world name speakers, and other cultural amenities usually not available in smaller towns.

The climate is nice. Summers are hot by UK standards with heat indexes above 100 degrees F common for months on end but you get wonderful weather from late October to mid April with winter from Dec to Feb. Winter mornings can dip below freezing but the days are usually sunny with highs around 60. Hard freezes and cold rainy days do happen but they are rare.

The crime rate is high in certain demographic areas but not an issue in other areas. I myself, live 25 miles from town and have never had any problems at all with crime.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:18 PM

3 posts, read 5,740 times
Hello Dear Cheryl,

Knowing the Briton and life in states, I would suggest you should look for a job in citrus county, Florida. Florida is basically a retirement community which is good for medical professionals such as yours Nursing. Excellent job opportunities and a quite life.

Just take a trip to Citrus county and there are quite a few communities where some brits and canadians live and frequently visit. Crime is low, good people, people from all states as well as lot of europians.

This place is close to Orlando, tampa and gainsville an hour and half away from each town but great place to live. Hey, once you visit you will see.

Nursing profession is a golden opportunity in this county and near by areas.
You will find a job in no time. Ocala is just 20 min. away.

Good luck to you.

Best Regards.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:30 AM

this last post is not helpful. you may find a job in no time you will NOT find a visa so easy.

Old 03-20-2011, 04:37 PM

21 posts, read 26,679 times
Hi Cheryl, If you don't mind, I would also like to give you my opinion on your upcoming move to Florida. I am originally from Europe myself and have lived in many parts of the States. Florida, is the place I spent most of my years in the U.S. (10). I now reside in Missouri. I left Florida few years ago because of family necessity and never stop missing it. I lived in Ft. Lauderdale and I loved every single day I was there. Worked in a big hospital on the south side of Broward County. To me South Florida is the greatest place on earth if you are single. However, in your case, there are many wonderful places to raise a family. I would say any place on the coast would be great. My favorite would be from Jupiter, north to Cocoa Beach, or most places in the panhandle of Florida where the beaches and the water are very clean. If you move to Florida, do not settle on any place away from the coast. It would really spoil your reason for being there. Many beautiful towns in the interior, but you want to live by the sea or close to it, otherwise you would not enjoy it to the fullest. I would go back to Florida in a heartbeat if I could. Alas, I must wait for retirement, few more years down the road.....LOL. God bless and the best to you and family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida