U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 11:21 AM

4,545 posts, read 11,498,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hialeah_Rules View Post
Drop the bullying Keep your opinions about other posters to yourself and discuss the subject matter. Just cause someone doesn't have the same opinion as you, you don't get to a free pass attack them

This has to stop. I have seen you some of you do it to other posters too. "oh this forum is going downhill since these new posters arrived" "we were a happy family before" and all this "inside" talk about New posters who have ruined the forum. We all grownups and there is no need for this.

My opinions are supported by facts and videos, It's not like I posted lies about the senior population in those places, so I don't know what's big deal with you all, you don't like Hialeah, fine, but I'm just saying the towns are full of seniors and I don't know how that is "know it all".

FACTS

Sarasota

"From 2005-2007, Sarasota County had a total population of 368,000. The median age was 49.7 years. Seventeen percent of the population was under 18 years and 30 percent was 65 years and older.
The Age Distribution of People in Sarasota County, Florida in 2005-2007 65 and over 30% 45 to 64 27% 25 to 44 21% 18 to 24 6% Under 18 17% Percent of population" source Sarasota, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Charlotte county;

In the county the population was spread out with 15.70% under the age of 18, 4.50% from 18 to 24, 18.80% from 25 to 44, 26.40% from 45 to 64, and 34.70% who are 65 years of age or older (making this the county with the highest percentage of people over 65 in America). The median age is 54 years. source: Charlotte County, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
H...you can't make assumptions if you don't live in Sarasota. Please google
Vinyl Music Fest, The Sarasota Chalk Festival, The HUB, Sarasota Young Professionals and oh, don't forget, our wonderful Cliff Roles Photography, P.M. Exposure Sarasota, Sarasotatnight.com...the list goes on......not seniorville anymore by far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 11:26 AM

109 posts, read 253,049 times
I lived in Daytona Beach from 1994-2003 and then moved to Tampa. I definitely prefer Daytona and may very well be moving back there in the near future. The only issue I ever had with Daytona was the job market isn't all that terrific.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:56 AM

14,271 posts, read 14,089,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Please no one make the mistake of including SARASOTA in "SW Florida."
OMG! I better alert the media!

Herald-Tribune - "Southwest Florida's Information Source"

Old 11-05-2010, 12:36 PM

14,029 posts, read 27,600,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
OMG! I better alert the media!

Herald-Tribune - "Southwest Florida's Information Source"
Sarasota is actually more considered part of the Tampa Bay Area. SW Florida is the Ft. Myers-Naples area. Sarasota and Manatee counties are counted in with the expanded Tampa Bay area. Everything about our region is different from SW Florida.

Tampa Bay Area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-05-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Sarasota is actually more considered part of the Tampa Bay Area. SW Florida is the Ft. Myers-Naples area. Sarasota and Manatee counties are counted in with the expanded Tampa Bay area. Everything about our region is different from SW Florida.

[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tampa_Bay_Area"]Tampa Bay Area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/URL]

I never use Wikipedia for anything. You do realize who writes the "facts" - right? However, since you decided it's a good source for accurate information, here's another link from Wiki:

[URL="http://wikitravel.org/en/Sarasota"]Sarasota travel guide - Wikitravel[/URL]

" Sarasota is a popular city on the Gulf Coast of Southwest Florida and the county seat of Sarasota County."

I've got a few more.

I bolded one statement you made. Please name "everything" that is different. Are you saying Naples and Bonita Springs don't have beautiful white sand beaches? What about Sanibel and Captiva? Marco Island?

What else is so dramatically different? So there's no unemployment in Sarasota County? No housing slump? No heavy traffic? I'm curious. We po' folks down in the unsophisticated areas of Florida are just dying to know. Must be those "Enquiring Minds."

Old 11-05-2010, 01:42 PM

2,991 posts, read 5,845,082 times
In FL I think it is hard to get an accurate average age or over 65. In Boca where I am at it says 21% are over 65 but I don't think that takes into account the snow birds which is a lot of people in season. It feels like there are way more then 21%.

Old 11-05-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
In FL I think it is hard to get an accurate average age or over 65. In Boca where I am at it says 21% are over 65 but I don't think that takes into account the snow birds which is a lot of people in season. It feels like there are way more then 21%.
That's because the snowbirds have money. It's just my opinion, but I think you see a lot more seniors because they're out shopping and in the restaurants.

I'm not saying they're all wealthy, but if you're using the term "snowbird" you are referring to someone who has more than one home, although that's not always the case. I've met couples who stay here for 3 months in their RV and rent a space in a park or campground. A few people I met (when the economy was better) rented a place for the winter and got part-time jobs for the season. In fact, that used to be common when the unemployment rate was very low.

Look at the schools in an area and the number of students. For example, Marco Island doesn't have a high school. So that's a good indication that most of its residents are older. (I think about 40% are snowbirds)

Edit: With all the different posts, I forgot the original subject! If you want to move to Tampa Bay, there are a lot of young people there. It all depends what you're looking for, however. Anytime you move to a wealthy coastal community like Naples, Boca or Sarasota, you will see a lot of older people. Palm Beach County has lots of young people, but it also attracts many retirees. Florida as a whole is a big retirement community. It doesn't matter if you go north, south, east or west. However, some areas are more lively than others. Depends on your personal lifestyle.

Look into all the social events listed in the local papers and check the meet-up groups in the area to help you decide.

Last edited by justNancy; 11-05-2010 at 02:14 PM..

Old 11-05-2010, 02:24 PM

Thanks. I am not against living around older people. The community I am in I would say I am one of the few young and single. I like quiet in my living and can go out to be around people my own age. I do feel Boca is obnoxious which I would like to get away from in the next place I live. It is fine to have money but people can act in an appropriate and kind way which is not what it is like here.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:02 PM

I liked the people in Vero Beach. I lived there for 6 months last year. Take a ride (only a couple of hours from Boca) and see if you like the area. Vero also has a high population of wealthy retirees, but I just found it to be one of the friendliest areas I've lived in since I moved to Florida. I lived in Naples and Bonita, and people were rude. Even in Port Charlotte, if I'm walking across a parking lot, other shoppers practically run you over. In Vero Beach it was like living in a different world. Strangers would ask if they could carry my bundles. (I must look helpless. lol) However, it's a very sleepy town, so I don't know if someone in her 20s would be happy there. There's much more to do in Tampa or Sarasota.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:26 AM

Thank you. I am actually 32 but going on 60. I think I may take a day trip in FL and also maybe in CA San Diego area a short trip. In Vero Beach is it as cool of temp as the Ponte Vedra? I was looking at that Ponte Vedra area and it looks nice and somewhat cooler.
I am sorry you can relate to the unfriendly people. I don't know why peope are like that. I have lived a lot of places and Boca is the most unfriendly by far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida