U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 11:18 AM

47 posts, read 117,010 times

Advertisements

We're looking to maybe retire to Florida next year or so. It seems as if every newer home is part of a community with HOA's. Do we have to buyer an older home to get away from that? We're looking around the middle of Florida, not more than a couple hours from Orlando, preferably on or near either coast. I'd prefer a cement block home that is more suited for insurance regulations. I'd also just prefer a newer home if possible.

We have a large dog and need a backyard with a fence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 01:24 PM

4,669 posts, read 8,634,129 times
Given the typical boom and bust pattern of Florida real estate, you can probably find older neighborhoods where a handful of lots were never built on the first time around and newer homes were later built there as 'infill' houses.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:00 PM

170 posts, read 408,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Releve View Post
We're looking to maybe retire to Florida next year or so. It seems as if every newer home is part of a community with HOA's. Do we have to buyer an older home to get away from that? We're looking around the middle of Florida, not more than a couple hours from Orlando, preferably on or near either coast. I'd prefer a cement block home that is more suited for insurance regulations. I'd also just prefer a newer home if possible.

We have a large dog and need a backyard with a fence.
I researched for 2 years because I didn't want to be in a subdivision with an HOA. We finally found one in Clermont, but the home is a 15-year-old stucco home. The odds are very low that you will find a newer home without an HOA. You also need to inquire about deed restrictions/CCRs. Some of these fees are in your property tax. I would definitely make contact with a real estate agent. I contacted one when I found a home online that I liked. I liked the realtor in Lakeland and didn't like the realtor near Clermont. Needless to say, we dealt with the realtor in Lakeland who took the time to show us a couple of homes in Clermont. The realtor near Clermont lost a commission because of her attitude.

We love Florida and are very happy we made the move.

Good luck.

iuki

Old 10-26-2010, 05:19 PM

8,489 posts, read 11,356,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iuki001 View Post
I researched for 2 years because I didn't want to be in a subdivision with an HOA. We finally found one in Clermont, but the home is a 15-year-old stucco home. The odds are very low that you will find a newer home without an HOA. You also need to inquire about deed restrictions/CCRs. Some of these fees are in your property tax. I would definitely make contact with a real estate agent. I contacted one when I found a home online that I liked. I liked the realtor in Lakeland and didn't like the realtor near Clermont. Needless to say, we dealt with the realtor in Lakeland who took the time to show us a couple of homes in Clermont. The realtor near Clermont lost a commission because of her attitude.

We love Florida and are very happy we made the move.

Good luck.

iuki
I could find 100's of newer homes in my county that are not part of a HOA.
I am sure many other counties are the same.

Just to let the OP know, Hernando is on the coast and about 1 1/2 hrs from Orlando
These are block homes and many on 1/2 acre or more.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:25 PM

209 posts, read 464,757 times
Plenty of new homes in Palm Coast with no HOA's also. You can also buy your own lot and build a home to your specifications. Probably better deals on used homes though. Palm Coast is on the east coast near St. Augustine.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:23 PM

Thanks! I'll look into those areas.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:06 PM

8,489 posts, read 11,356,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Releve View Post
Thanks! I'll look into those areas.
Just let me know if you need any help with areas in Hernando to look.
To have some space, more than 1/4 acre, you will want to stay out of most of Spring Hill.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:28 PM

5,507 posts, read 5,697,327 times
Better be careful without any restrictions in many Florida towns if you have a low price point.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:15 AM

793 posts, read 1,372,699 times
Florida has community fees ranging from none too low, gated low and gated high. There can be problems with none, check with the county or city to see if they have rules & regs such as how many people can live in a home.

Deltona comes to mind; I received a call from a seller who had relocated to NYC for a job transfer saying his home had been on the market for 6 months and what my wife and I could suggest to sell his home. A 3/2 in great shape with a screened pool and a fenced in back yard that was priced right in a nice area, what was wrong with this picture? I quickly discovered the home next door was renting out rooms and after 5 the front yard was a parking lot. I called the city and they explained they knew of the problem and stated the city had no ordinance currently in place to address this issue but one was currently up for a vote.

Moving forward the ordinance passed and the home next door as well as others in the county got citations, problem solved.

Now the parking lot and revolving door problem didn't exist next door when the seller purchased the home it was just a quiet street of well maintained properties but it became the issue causing a problem while trying to sell.

Doing this extra research to counter the issue for the seller got us the listing and we sold the property within 45 days.

Hope this helps,

Old 10-30-2010, 09:23 AM

What could one expect to pay on the lower end? No pools, no tennis etc. Somewhere that allows a large dog with a decent sized fenced yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida