Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 12:59 AM

35 posts, read 281,005 times

Advertisements

I will be living in florida soon and was thinking of maybe just buying a scooter and using that as my main transportation for a bit when I first get down there... Better on gas, and insurance is less, but is this a good idea?? I figured if it rains, I would just wear a water repellent outfit.. There's plenty of people on motorcycles on the streets so I don't see what the problem would be...

This is not really a question, just looking for a little input on this.. Experiences you may have had, seen, heard or any warnings or info I need to know..

Thank again, people

-Circle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 07:20 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,509,673 times
While I do not think I would have transportation be a heavy factor in where I live, there is another option.

There is a place just north of us in Florida called The Villages. Many folks there do not even have a car. Their main transportation are golf carts. The place is huge....approaching 100,000 people. It covers three counties. It is a one of a kind place, specially designed to get anywhere, shopping, doctors offices, etc all on a golf cart. There are special roads, tunnels, bridges, etc, just for carts.

While some folks love The Villages, and some do not, it is an interesting place......

Old 10-30-2010, 07:30 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,335,241 times
Depends on where you're living. If you're living in a more accessible urbanized area, and don't have a lot of business on highways or in cities far away, you could definitely get away with it.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:07 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,404,923 times
Like TriMT7 said, it really depends on where you live. If you live in a major city then it would not be your best choice. Keep in mind that rainy season is six months long, it usually doesn't rain a lot in October and November. The other rainy season months I don't think a moped would be a good choice even with a rain slicker.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:39 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,306,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Depends on where you're living. If you're living in a more accessible urbanized area, and don't have a lot of business on highways or in cities far away, you could definitely get away with it.
Agree. If you live in an area where finding parking is difficult, it would be ideal (South Beach, Miami Beach) or in a community where speed limit is low (ie retirement communities). I wouldn't use them on the regular roadways where speed limits are above 35 mph. Beach communities or wherever there is special pathways for bikes/mopeds.

Old 10-30-2010, 02:30 PM

Well, i'm going to be in the Daytona beach area....And I would just be driving it around town, like to and from work....And theres alot of people on bikes in the area.. But i'm wondering mopeds...

So you guys seem to think its not a bad idea... That hard rain wouldn't be a huge factor???

Another thing I worry about is what if it got stolen?..Do they have insurance to cover that?? Or some kind of security to prevent that??

Old 10-30-2010, 02:57 PM

259,023 posts, read 90,362,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CircleNbox View Post
Well, i'm going to be in the Daytona beach area....And I would just be driving it around town, like to and from work....And theres alot of people on bikes in the area.. But i'm wondering mopeds...

So you guys seem to think its not a bad idea... That hard rain wouldn't be a huge factor???

Another thing I worry about is what if it got stolen?..Do they have insurance to cover that?? Or some kind of security to prevent that??
I've lived in the Daytona area. No one would ever catch me on a bike of any kind there. I've photographed to many people who went on bikes and came home in body bags. Having it get stolen would be the least of my worries. My 2¢.

Old 10-31-2010, 04:28 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,114,724 times
Moped maybe fun on the beach but getting out on any of the main roads you'll eventually get run down if your moped will only go 30mph.
Why not just buy a used car for around $1000.? then when you are familiar with the area you can switch to a moped if you think its safe.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Moped maybe fun on the beach but getting out on any of the main roads you'll eventually get run down if your moped will only go 30mph.
Why not just buy a used car for around $1000.? then when you are familiar with the area you can switch to a moped if you think its safe.

Used car- $1000 dollars???? What kind of deals are you getting? Any below average used car will cost about $3000 and a decent one will cost probably $6000 and more....

Old 10-31-2010, 02:38 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,264,753 times
Can you commute to work? Not sure if you go to school or work...If you can use alternate transportation for work or school, a bike would be a good idea. But live in an area close to major transporation, and where you can walk to the store. My friend has only a scooter, and rents a car about once every two months for major shopping, running around stuff...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida