Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 03:52 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingvegas View Post
Currently, I live about 15 mins off the strip in Vegas/city. The area I live in has access to all the basic necessities: movies rest. shopping, parks and of course star bucks/coffee bean; to where I rarely go to the strip besides "shows" or really upscale dining. I do like this set up, so something similar..
In which case I would go for Weston, Coral Springs (which has plenty of good dining in city limits!), Plantation, Parkland (A little more isolated from shopping)and Boca Raton for that type of lifestyle, and a pretty laid back/quiet location.

Old 07-08-2007, 04:14 PM

58 posts, read 193,334 times
Thank you, you have been a big help!!!

Old 07-08-2007, 04:22 PM

13 posts, read 61,760 times
Default Orange County

I have spent a great deal of time in South Florida and Southern California. I have family that live in both areas. It's two different worlds and IMHO Orange County is a far superior place to live. Other than perhaps Santa Ana, the vast majority of the county is up scale and relatively safe. Just as important I think that the area is relatively stable to the extent that one can say that about any place these days. South Florida, on the other hand, is clearly in a decline with no relief in sight. Of course, either place is better than Las Vegas as you are now well aware of what a pit it has become.

Old 07-08-2007, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Thank you, you have been a big help!!!
Absolutely! And if any more questions should arise about South Florida, feel free to send me a PM. And also, if you do pick South Florida, I recommend staying out of Miami-Dade County after you mentioned what type of people you would like to be around.

And as a general rule of thumb, stay west of University Drive in Broward County, and west of Millitary Trail in south Palm Beach County and you are almost guaranteed a safe and middle to upper class area. You have a vast area to pick from in Broward, and you are free of West Coast type pretentiousness here! You will meet a few snotty types in Weston and Parkland, but other than that, I think it may be what you are looking for.

Old 07-08-2007, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelb View Post
I have spent a great deal of time in South Florida and Southern California. I have family that live in both areas. It's two different worlds and IMHO Orange County is a far superior place to live. Other than perhaps Santa Ana, the vast majority of the county is up scale and relatively safe. Just as important I think that the area is relatively stable to the extent that one can say that about any place these days. South Florida, on the other hand, is clearly in a decline with no relief in sight. Of course, either place is better than Las Vegas as you are now well aware of what a pit it has become.
Stevelb,

From La Jolla to Malibu which area would you recommend? I don't want to live right in the middle of a city but have access by about 15 mins. I don't have children, and I'm single so schools are not important. Also, I want to be on/near the beach. Thank you.

Yes, it has taken me 8 yrs to finally get to the point - that Vegas is truly a PIT!! Every year, I've wanted to move but my business kept me here, so it's time something gives

Last edited by leavingvegas; 07-08-2007 at 04:38 PM..

Old 07-08-2007, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
Absolutely! And if any more questions should arise about South Florida, feel free to send me a PM. And also, if you do pick South Florida, I recommend staying out of Miami-Dade County after you mentioned what type of people you would like to be around.

And as a general rule of thumb, stay west of University Drive in Broward County, and west of Millitary Trail in south Palm Beach County and you are almost guaranteed a safe and middle to upper class area. You have a vast area to pick from in Broward, and you are free of West Coast type pretentiousness here! You will meet a few snotty types in Weston and Parkland, but other than that, I think it may be what you are looking for.
I've come to the conclusion there are snobbish people everywhere but it doesn't define or alter me. It's general new money vs. old money who act that way...

Old 07-08-2007, 04:35 PM

Quote:
I've come to the conclusion there are snobbish people everywhere but it doesn't define or alter me. It's general new money vs. old money who act that way...
Right, in which case, you are going to encounter a LOT of new money here, and I am not sure about California, but I HAVE been to Irvine/South O.C (I thought you were referring to LA at first) and noticed a distinctive arrogance there in my few days that I have not noticed anywhere else, or here. To tell you the truth, it all depends on where you are from originally as to which you will prefer. North easterners tend to like Florida, Californians tend to find anywhere else but California strange in my experience, but of corse I am not speaking for all Californians. What region are you originally from?

Old 07-08-2007, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Right, in which case, you are going to encounter a LOT of new money here, and I am not sure about California, but I HAVE been to Irvine/South O.C (I thought you were referring to LA at first) and noticed a distinctive arrogance there in my few days that I have not noticed anywhere else, or here. To tell you the truth, it all depends on where you are from originally as to which you will prefer. North easterners tend to like Florida, Californians tend to find anywhere else but California strange in my experience, but of corse I am not speaking for all Californians. What region are you originally from?
I'm originally from Idaho but have traveled extensively, lived many places/countries, and love being by the ocean. How I wound up in the desert for 8 yrs is a mystery...

Last edited by leavingvegas; 07-08-2007 at 04:44 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 07-08-2007, 04:46 PM

Quote:
I'm originally from Idaho but have traveled extensively, lived many places/countries, and love being by the ocean. How I wound up in the desert for 8 yrs is a mystery...
I CAN say that although we don't have the mountains,South Florida beaches have MUCH clearer and warmer water with a tropical turquoise color to it and white powdery sand. CA DOES has the mountains so close to the shore, though, and it is a really beautiful sight.

Old 07-08-2007, 04:53 PM

Quote:
I CAN say that although we don't have the mountains,South Florida beaches have MUCH clearer and warmer water with a tropical turquoise color to it and white powdery sand. CA DOES has the mountains so close to the shore, though, and it is a really beautiful sight.
There's pros and cons to everywhere but it all comes down to priorities. Yes, I agree, the beaches in Florida are much pretty because of the white sand but then California has the mountains along the coast - see what I mean
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida