Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 10:21 PM

58 posts, read 193,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
Very true.It would not be good if he drags his stuff all the way out here and he doesn't like it!Attainable rent for a nice place is possible in Coral Springs (Too family-ish for him) or Boca Raton (he could fall in love with it), but not Parkland itself. It's mostly single family homes, unless he wanted to rent a home.

The median home price in Parkland was 590k, though. Not exactly low. Pretty close to Cali. prices, actually. But then again, Parkland is made up almost exclusively of upscale homes and median incomes are in the six figures.
I'm guess I'm confused as to why either place wouldn't feel my/her needs??

It seems we've narrowed it to two very good locations on both the West & East Coast...

What would the difference be between Palm Beach, Parkland and Boca Raton?

Old 07-08-2007, 10:23 PM

13 posts, read 61,769 times
The median home price in Parkland was 590k, though. Not exactly low. Pretty close to Cali. prices, actually. But then again, Parkland is made up almost exclusively of upscale homes and median incomes are in the six figures.[/quote]

Not to belabor the point, but in LaJolla you couldn't touch a house for less than a million plus. Of course this is not true of all of San Diego (or the county), but almost!! Anyway, as I said before - enough said!-at least for tonight!!

Old 07-08-2007, 10:31 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingvegas View Post
I'm guess I'm confused as to why either place wouldn't feel my/her needs??

It seems we've narrowed it to two very good locations on both the West & East Coast...

What would the difference be between Palm Beach, Parkland and Boca Raton?
In Palm Beach ,once you leave the island, you are in one of the most dangerous cities in America(and it IS dangerous)-West Palm Beach. All for three million. It's old money, but its also older demographic. Forget that!

Boca Raton is more urbanized, busier, has more shopping, but retains its upscale aura. Not quite as high end as Parkland. Median incomes are actually not that high in Boca, and you could get a nice regular house there for 350k and a fairly luxurious home for 700k. Plenty to do in Mizner Park.

Parkland is peaceful, almost entirely residential, and just goregous. In my opinion, it is one of America's most desirable locations, and also, if you were to have children, an amazing place to raise them. Similar to Boca prices, but it is more consistently high end. Sectons of Parkland actually have equestrian zoning, if you like horses! Lowest crime out of the three, and surrounded by nothing but nice (Boca Raton, Coral Springs, more suburban middle class areas east, and Everglades west). In Boca, you have some not-so nice areas bordering on it in Delray Beach. Delray is nice as a whole, but there is a lot of inequality there, and you can find yourself lost in a slum out of nowhere. You can go to Mizner Park for some culture and good dining, go to Coral Springs to see a show or dine at a few more good restaurants, and experience a Northeastern type of vibe in the people that is down to earth, but can occasionally be arrogant(same applies for Boca). Personally, leaving my doors unlocked, being that close to all of the amenities, and being surrounded by green and forest sounds pretty appealing!

I should add that Boca Raton and Parkland have an extremely large Jewish population (probably among the highest per-capita in the country) and is fairly ethnically diverse. All kinds of people have brought their wealth to Parkland and Boca Raton.

I did not know if you wanted to know the difference between the communities, or the price of the communities, so I gave you both!

I am actually enjoying these comparisons. It's pretty interesting.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 07-08-2007 at 10:38 PM.. Reason: additions

Old 07-08-2007, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelb View Post
The median home price in Parkland was 590k, though. Not exactly low. Pretty close to Cali. prices, actually. But then again, Parkland is made up almost exclusively of upscale homes and median incomes are in the six figures.

Not to belabor the point, but in LaJolla you couldn't touch a house for less than a million plus. Of course this is not true of all of San Diego (or the county), but almost!! Anyway, as I said before - enough said!-at least for tonight!![/quote]
I appreciate your input and suggestions but you're stuck on housing cost, and I'm not. It's a lifestyle that I'm looking for...

Old 07-08-2007, 10:37 PM

Quote:
In Palm Beach ,once you leave the island, you are in one of the most dangerous cities in America(and it IS dangerous)-West Palm Beach. All for three million. It's old money, but its also older demographic. Forget that!

Boca Raton is more urbanized, busier, has more shopping, but retains its upscale aura. Not quite as high end as Parkland. Median incomes are actually not that high in Boca, and you could get a nice regular house there for 350k and a fairly luxurious home for 700k. Plenty to do in Mizner Park.

Parkland is peaceful, almost entirely residential, and just goregous. In my opinion, it is one of America's most desirable locations, and also, if you were to have children, an amazing place to raise them. Similar to Boca prices, but it is more consistently high end. Sectons of Parkland actually have equestrian zoning, if you like horses! Lowest crime out of the three, and surrounded by nothing but nice (Boca Raton, Coral Springs, more suburban middle class areas east, and Everglades west). In Boca, you have some not-so nice areas bordering on it in Delray Beach. Delray is nice as a whole, but there is a lot of inequality there, and you can find yourself lost in a slum out of nowhere. You can go to Mizner Park for some culture and good dining, go to Coral Springs to see a show or dine at a few more good restaurants, and experience a Northeastern type of vibe in the people that is down to earth, but can occasionally be arrogant(same applies for Boca). Personally, leaving my doors unlocked, being that close to all of the amenities, and being surrounded by green and forest sounds pretty appealing!

I did not know if you wanted to know the difference between the communities, or the price of the communities, so I gave you both!

I am actually enjoying these comparisons. It's pretty interesting.
I'm glad you're enjoying yourself! I wish I could be of assistance to you
If you want to know about Vegas - let me know (which I doubt)...

You're comparisons, are exactly what I'm looking for! I like knowing as much as possible to make an accessement. It's interesting because I've always been drawn to Boca Raton. How far is Parkland from BR? I was told the East side of Boca Raton is a better choice??

Old 07-08-2007, 10:39 PM

Quote:
I'm glad you're enjoying yourself! I wish I could be of assistance to you
If you want to know about Vegas - let me know (which I doubt)...

You're comparisons, are exactly what I'm looking for! I like knowing as much as possible to make an accessement. It's interesting because I've always been drawn to Boca Raton. How far is Parkland from BR? I was told the East side of Boca Raton is a better choice??
One city up. 5 Minute Trunpike ride at maximum. About 10-15 to Mizner Park. Funny how everything is 20 minutes away in Broward County, traffic congestion here is actually not very bad, and I have been around a bit. I still can't find a major metropolitan area other than Fort Lauderdale/Broward where most the expressways and roads are moving at the peak of rush hour. Not even in Florida.

I made some additions, by the way.

Old 07-08-2007, 10:52 PM

Quote:
One city up. 5 Minute Trunpike ride at maximum. About 10-15 to Mizner Park. Funny how everything is 20 minutes away in Broward County, traffic congestion here is actually not very bad, and I have been around a bit. I still can't find a major metropolitan area other than Fort Lauderdale/Broward where most the expressways and roads are moving at the peak of rush hour. Not even in Florida.

I made some additions, by the way.
What's Cocunut Creek all about? How's Deerfield Beach vs. Delray Beach?

Old 07-08-2007, 10:55 PM

Quote:
What's Cocunut Creek all about? How's Deerfield Beach vs. Delray Beach?
Coconut Creek is a decent community, middle class, families, low crime, but not really what you are looking for. Deerfield is pretty ugly, and has been experiencing a soaring crime rate. Not really much offered there. Delray Beach has a really nice shopping street called Atlantic Ave., but there are a lot of inconsistencies in Delray neighborhoods. Deep poverty can border on fabulously wealthy areas. This creates a lot of crime, and there are some gang issues in Delray (and Palm Beach County in general above Boca). Basically, Broward is more blighted in areas south of sample Rd. Between the Turnpike and U.S 1. The further south you go, the more blight that sprawls out to University Dr. But there is not really a sense of inequality in Broward. Its a lot like any other metro area. There are good areas and bad areas. Bascially, as a rule of thumb, ANYTHING west of University in Broward is fairly upscale, and that covers a vast area. To tell you the truth, you have no reason to be in the not-as-nice areas in Broward and they are totally avoidable and not SO bad in the first place. In Delray/other parts of PBC, they seem to pop up out of nowhere, and it can get pretty scary.

Old 07-08-2007, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Coconut Creek is a decent community, middle class, families, low crime, but not really what you are looking for. Deerfield is pretty ugly, and has been experiencing a soaring crime rate. Not really much offered there. Delray Beach has a really nice shopping street called Atlantic Ave., but there are a lot of inconsistencies in Delray neighborhoods. Deep poverty can border on fabulously wealthy areas. This creates a lot of crime, and there are some gang issues in Delray (and Palm Beach County in general above Boca). Basically, Broward is more blighted in areas south of sample Rd. Between the Turnpike and U.S 1. The further south you go, the more blight that sprawls out to University Dr. But there is not really a sense of inequality in Broward. Its a lot like any other metro area. There are good areas and bad areas. Bascially, as a rule of thumb, ANYTHING west of University in Broward is fairly upscale, and that covers a vast area. To tell you the truth, you have no reason to be in the not-as-nice areas in Broward and they are totally avoidable and not SO bad in the first place. In Delray/other parts of PBC, they seem to pop up out of nowhere, and it can get pretty scary.
From what you've mentioned, it seems like there's allot of poverty in Florida. Even though, I don't care for Vegas, you have to really go out of your way to get into the poverty. From what you've said, you can go down the wrong road, and be in a bad area...

Also, it may show my ignorance but I've never heard/used the word blight until you've used it describing Florida

Oh, I keep forgetting to ask you about Aventura (I keep reading about all the development there) and Pompano Beach.

Last edited by leavingvegas; 07-08-2007 at 11:16 PM..

Old 07-08-2007, 11:11 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,896,201 times
Quote:
Not to belabor the point, but in LaJolla you couldn't touch a house for less than a million plus. Of course this is not true of all of San Diego (or the county), but almost!! Anyway, as I said before - enough said!-at least for tonight!!
I appreciate your input and suggestions but you're stuck on housing cost, and I'm not. It's a lifestyle that I'm looking for...[/quote]

I've been reading this thread and your response of "it's a lifestyle you're looking for" tells me to suggest you head to California.Many of the areas that were mentioned in South Florida,Parkland,Boca even a Pinecrest in Miami-Dade are very nice and cheaper than most of Cali,but the lifestyle aspect you mention Cali wins by a long shot,I mean right now it's been raining daily for like a month and a half here with sick humidity and heat,and don't forget those fun hurricanes coming up.You can't enjoy the outdoors for most of the summer months!!And I would agree that I enjoy visiting the strip in Vegas,but I would have no interest in living there at all!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida