U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 06:06 PM

975 posts, read 3,430,054 times

Advertisements

Even though I've been there many times before, I decided to go one more time to help decide whether to move or not. This was not really a vacation, more looking around different areas (although I did enjoy myself!).

Most of this has been stated before on this forum, so I won't go into great depth, but here are my impressions, etc.:

I went to PBC, Broward, Orlando & Tampa/St. Pete. I skipped Dade because I've been there before and leaning against moving there (if I do in fact decide to move).

The trip got off to a rocky start: TSA agents at LaGuardia were rude and confiscated my bottle of Phisoderm from my carry-on because it exceeded 3 oz. I know that's the rules but they didn't have to be aggressive and rude about it. I decided not to let this incident ruin the trip.

PBC/Broward: Seemed very pleasant for the most part, streets were very clean in the areas I visited. I loved the Pollo Tropicale restaurants -- what a great concept for a fast food chain. The lightning storms were great to watch. Everyone I dealt with was nice, or least not overtly hostile/rude.
Fort Lauderdale was a little bit over the top--a nice place on the weekends maybe but not somewhere I would want to live.

Orlando: Hmm. Not sure how I feel about this place. If you like fast food and Chinese buffets I guess it's heaven. Kissimee, where I stayed, seemed like a dreadful place, as did the Orange Blossom Trail--the worst examples of what humans can do to their surroundings. I4 is incredible--I got stuck in traffic multiple times. Some serious accidents--the entire top of the SUV was sheared off in one case, I guess they flipped the car. On the plus side it seems impossible to get lost in Orlando because you will always run into a sign for I4 within 2 minutes. Also, I loved the pretty lakes in and around the city.

Tampa/St. Pete: This was my favorite place. It had a totally different feel from the others, kind of quaint. It seemed like a good mix of people too. It was the only place where it got uncomfortably hot though.

Overall I didn't experience any of the rudeness spoken of here--that was a pleasant surprise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2007, 08:59 PM

13,495 posts, read 34,011,046 times
Thanks for the input on the different areas. I was surprised that it was hotter by the St Pete area because I've often read that the ocean breeze helps keep the heat from being too stifling.

Old 07-09-2007, 04:25 AM

There was a light rainshower (midday) and then the humidity and heat went way up--I don't know if this is normal or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Thanks for the input on the different areas. I was surprised that it was hotter by the St Pete area because I've often read that the ocean breeze helps keep the heat from being too stifling.

Old 07-09-2007, 04:51 AM

1,775 posts, read 7,334,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedAChange View Post
There was a light rainshower (midday) and then the humidity and heat went way up--I don't know if this is normal or not.
Yes that's normal. The only time the rain really cools it down is when it's a steady rain for a good half hour. If it's just a spinkle enough to get things wet, the humidity goes way up and makes it very uncomfortable outside.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:23 AM

2,949 posts, read 12,158,135 times
Personally speaking, I am glad that you came down to really have a look-see and had a positive experience. We love living here and recognize the pros and cons - but that is true wherever you go.

We live in southwest Broward County and enjoy our life here and our proximity to so many things. When we need a change of scenery or weather, we hop on a plane.

We do get spoiled living here and tend to lose site of certain things - how clean our communities are compared to other areas, great highway system, clean air, weather, etc.

This is our rainy season when just a light shower can elevate the humidity -- way up. I grew up with this type of weather and sometimes the humidity still gets to me, but just for a moment.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:29 AM

1,418 posts, read 9,352,163 times
Quote:
On the plus side it seems impossible to get lost in Orlando because you will always run into a sign for I4 within 2 minutes.
If you stayed within a few miles of I-4, I'd venture to say that you didn't really see much of Greator Orlando. It's actually quite easy to get lost in Orlando, if you wonder more than a couple of miles away from I-4.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:58 PM

8,204 posts, read 32,163,153 times
Sounds like a good trip INeedAChange !

If you decide to check out Jax, be sure to let me know, I'd be happy to help in any way (and of course MyFask/Karla would want to meet for pizza......)

Old 07-09-2007, 04:17 PM

thx riveree--I didn't make it to Jax due to time constraints, unfortunately

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Sounds like a good trip INeedAChange !

If you decide to check out Jax, be sure to let me know, I'd be happy to help in any way (and of course MyFask/Karla would want to meet for pizza......)

Old 07-09-2007, 04:23 PM

thanks, it was definitely worth it--I generally had my expectations exceeded. I think Orlando might be a decent place to live also, you would just have to choose your neighborhood very carefully in relation to your commute.

One thing I learned is the necessity of keeping an umbrella in your car during the summer in Fla

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
Personally speaking, I am glad that you came down to really have a look-see and had a positive experience. We love living here and recognize the pros and cons - but that is true wherever you go.

We live in southwest Broward County and enjoy our life here and our proximity to so many things. When we need a change of scenery or weather, we hop on a plane.

We do get spoiled living here and tend to lose site of certain things - how clean our communities are compared to other areas, great highway system, clean air, weather, etc.

This is our rainy season when just a light shower can elevate the humidity -- way up. I grew up with this type of weather and sometimes the humidity still gets to me, but just for a moment.

Old 07-09-2007, 05:58 PM

262 posts, read 847,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedAChange View Post
Tampa/St. Pete: This was my favorite place. It had a totally different feel from the others, kind of quaint. It seemed like a good mix of people too. It was the only place where it got uncomfortably hot though.
Glad you liked it! Personally I love it - lived here about 30 years and fervently hoping we won't have to leave.

I'm surprised about the temperature, though. I've always felt hotter in Orlando, and definitely hotter in Broward. The last time we spent a weekend there, we left around 3 AM, and even at that hour, it was still hot! Like a dang sauna. But I do love parts of Broward, and loved living there - that was a lonnnnng time ago, when it was actually quite inexpensive.

One of the best things about the St. Pete area is that whatever you like, you'll almost certainly find it here. Lots of variety, and you'll never run out of things to do. We have some wonderful parks here too - check out Fort DeSoto, Sawgrass - and Lake Seminole (there are pictures in the "Preserving the Beauty of FL" thread. And then there's the beautiful gulf.

Glad you had a good trip - and hope you find the spot that's right for you in our wonderful state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or