Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Georgia: relocating, fishing, camping, purchasing a home, property.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 07:41 AM

99 posts, read 308,322 times

Advertisements

I was in GA for the past week as my family is relocating. I will admit this, especially to South Floridians. IT IS A LIFESTYLE CHANGE IF YOU CHOOSE TO LEAVE FLORIDA!!!! If you are trying to escape the bad here in FL, you must strongly consider what you want in where you are going, outside of the lower cost of living.

GA is slower, and you must get accustomed to that if you move most anywhere in the 'real south'. People are in a lot less of a rush, and courtesy is of critical importance. But it is definitely not as diverse as South FL, and that can be either good or bad depending on your wants and needs (great for me as people speak english). If you are into the latest fashions and driving the flashiest cars, you definitely won't be accepted into most neighborhoods. It is nice but quiet, heaven for me but would be hell for some.

Florida is a state for those that love it. I was born and raised here and have NEVER felt like it was my home. But many will come here and feel just the opposite, and that's great. Different strokes for different folks.

Find your HOME. A place where you can be your best self, wherever that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2006, 08:03 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,159,097 times
Absolutely agree with you. Also live majority of my life here in South Florida. Visited Georgia mid July. Graciously accepted the slower pace. We drive 2 big SUV's(older models, look nice and no payments!). We should fit in.
Courtesy has always been a big thing with me. I will help anyone that asks or looks like they need help. Its just our nature. Always get held up at the grocery store because I tend to help the older little people that can't reach that big can on the top shelf. I figure I'd rather help than witness that can hitting someone in the face ! There is a tremendous LACK of courtesy in South Florida. Everone seems to be in such a hurry and so miserable that they have to be where they have to be. We all have to do things we aren't exactly happy about, and there is always something we'd rather be doing,but thats life. Why impose your frustrations on absolutely everyone you come upon?
I, we, are the fishing, camping outdoorsy type. I HATE to shop... clothes, groceries, ect. My husband is fortunate that way ! I love my blue jeans ! (Although, I do have a closet full of business clothes)

Meet you in heaven !!!

Old 08-15-2006, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theqbaby
Absolutely agree with you. Also live majority of my life here in South Florida. Visited Georgia mid July. Graciously accepted the slower pace. We drive 2 big SUV's(older models, look nice and no payments!). We should fit in.
Courtesy has always been a big thing with me. I will help anyone that asks or looks like they need help. Its just our nature. Always get held up at the grocery store because I tend to help the older little people that can't reach that big can on the top shelf. I figure I'd rather help than witness that can hitting someone in the face ! There is a tremendous LACK of courtesy in South Florida. Everone seems to be in such a hurry and so miserable that they have to be where they have to be. We all have to do things we aren't exactly happy about, and there is always something we'd rather be doing,but thats life. Why impose your frustrations on absolutely everyone you come upon?
I, we, are the fishing, camping outdoorsy type. I HATE to shop... clothes, groceries, ect. My husband is fortunate that way ! I love my blue jeans ! (Although, I do have a closet full of business clothes)

Meet you in heaven !!!

Are you sure we're not kin? That pretty much describes me. I'm 25, and as of the last month have started having severe chest pains which I know is due to the stress I have.

I have decided to take take Tim McGraw's advice and 'Live like I'm dieing'. Life is too short for the crap I'm dealing with.

Old 08-15-2006, 08:29 AM

1,130 posts, read 1,571,889 times
There are courteous people everywhere. Even in New York! I am originally from NY and I too help the little old ladies or men in the store. My kids were taught to hold the doors open for people. My husband gives up a seat for a woman still! It just depends on how you were brought up. Kindness goes a long way. Give a smile and I bet you will get one back, no matter where you living along lifes journey.

Old 08-15-2006, 08:29 AM

Might be kin, long lost... But then again, aren't (shouldn't)we all be kin?
I am just a few years older than you. And probably a little more frustrated than you.
At first, I was petrified to leave everything I know, but now I hate everyday I wake up here. I can not WAIT for that moving truck to pull into my driveway ! Although it will be a very stressfull event, I am looking forward to it.
Once the truck is unpacked (in Georgia) and return to the rental, before I unpack. I will sit on my new porch and have a beer (or 2). I can already feel the stress running off my back when I think about it. I don't care if I have to sleep on the floor for a night. Hel*, I might just pitch the tent in the back yard ! lol

It is extremely nice to hear someone a few years younger than I, make those kinds of comments. People are too busy trying to keep up with the Jones. Not me, I am happy for what we have. And would rather spend time with family and friends, than hours shopping at a mall where nobody speaks the same language.
Kudos to your parents!
Gotta love the Tim McGraw. Trace Adkins has a few good ideas also !!
What part of Georgia are you going to? If you don't mind me asking?

Old 08-15-2006, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboosmom
There are courteous people everywhere. Even in New York! I am originally from NY and I too help the little old ladies or men in the store. My kids were taught to hold the doors open for people. My husband gives up a seat for a woman still! It just depends on how you were brought up. Kindness goes a long way. Give a smile and I bet you will get one back, no matter where you living along lifes journey.

Today's generation (fror most part) are not brought up that way. Alot of latch key kids. Too many parents trying to keep up with the Jones. I taught my son, very early to open doors for anyone. Just common courtesy, often not found here in South Florida.
I understand you are on the west coast. We also considered Cape Coral. Were very close to purchasing a home there. We loved it there. But what we saw about to happen, was exactly what we are trying to get away from. I finally convinced my man ( I know how hubby is a sore word) to leave Florida. What the hey, you only live once, why not experience something different.

Old 08-15-2006, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboosmom

Uhhhh, it is a rarity in South Florida. I can't tell you how many times I've held a door open to someone here and gotten not even a head nod. Or let somone in during traffic and received no acknowledgement. I say hello and people glare. If you don't live here, its difficult to explain. South Florida is like no where else in the world, and DEFINITELY not like anywhere else in the state. To try to compare it would do other areas a great disservice.

Certain areas it is just a LOT more prevalent than others. More apart of the culture, not just individual values. I think that is what qtbaby and I are referring to. South Florida has become a land of the "keeping up with the Joneses" mentality taken to the extreme. I picked up my son from religion class one evening. The SUV next to me was tricked out with rims and televisions in the headrests and ceiling. My son has the nerve to ask me, "When are we getting TVs in our car?" Not one tv mind you, TVs. And this was not the last time something like that has been brought up as this has become more and more commplace in our so-called suburban neighborhood.

Old 08-15-2006, 08:46 AM

1,130 posts, read 1,571,889 times
We are in Punta Gorda and it's still nice here. Getting busy but still very very nice. We want to get back to the family up north and have more property.
Other than that, we would stay. We will be coming down during the winter months though.

Old 08-15-2006, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theqbaby
Might be kin, long lost... But then again, aren't (shouldn't)we all be kin?
I am just a few years older than you. And probably a little more frustrated than you.
At first, I was petrified to leave everything I know, but now I hate everyday I wake up here. I can not WAIT for that moving truck to pull into my driveway ! Although it will be a very stressfull event, I am looking forward to it.
Once the truck is unpacked (in Georgia) and return to the rental, before I unpack. I will sit on my new porch and have a beer (or 2). I can already feel the stress running off my back when I think about it. I don't care if I have to sleep on the floor for a night. Hel*, I might just pitch the tent in the back yard ! lol

It is extremely nice to hear someone a few years younger than I, make those kinds of comments. People are too busy trying to keep up with the Jones. Not me, I am happy for what we have. And would rather spend time with family and friends, than hours shopping at a mall where nobody speaks the same language.
Kudos to your parents!
Gotta love the Tim McGraw. Trace Adkins has a few good ideas also !!
What part of Georgia are you going to? If you don't mind me asking?

Dunwoody, inside the perimeter. We are going to pay off some bills and do some research before picking a permanent spot in GA. But we found a wonderful 2-bedroom apt (1350 sq. ft.) with all the amenities and activities one could desire for only $807 a month. We pay $1200 a month now. Our car insurance will go down by $1100 dollars a year and renters insurance (yeah, we're that responsible) will go down by half. My husband is a looking at a $6,000 INCREASE in salary. Georgia actually appreciates their law enforcement officers.

Old 08-15-2006, 08:52 AM

Oh, I have been acknowledge alright. But not with a nod or a thank you, usually a finger (State Bird)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida