Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 09:25 AM

23,410 posts, read 36,823,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcole07 View Post
The real strange thing is you can't kill a python without a license from the state of Florida!
Feb 23, 2010 ... The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission has ... and pay a $26 management area permit fee to hunt the regions for pythons, ...
Special Everglades python-hunting season created | Outposts | Los Angeles Times

Larry - Hobe Sound, Fl
Crazy, aint it?
If they would declare open season, with buyers for the hides, every hunter and redneck from all over would come and join in the hunt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 01:45 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,727,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I was just watching a documentary about how Florida is becoming like a huge evolution lab because of all the alien species pet owners and other weirdos have been releasing into the wild.

Some of the most disturbing species are huge reticulated pythons from SE Asia (can grow up to 30 feet) that have already been spreading for a while now, even adapting rather fast, for instance by climbing and hunting from trees
Even more alarming is the more recent spread of African pythons, that are much more aggressive than the Asian ones. Despite their size and weight they are pretty fast and literally run after prey (rather than ambushing alone).
As if those two species alone were not worrisome enough, biologists fear that those two kinds of pythons will mix in the wild, which could render something even bigger in an analogy to the Liger (a giant cat resulting from mixing Lions and Tigers).

Apart from humans and maybe grown crocodiles they have no enemies in Florida, whose nature is simply not prepared for species like that, but offers ideal conditions for them.

Have you ever encountered a python? How would you defend yourself? Running away or shooting them might not work because of their speed
I have owned numerous snakes and you are giving them attributes they just don't have. Venomus snakes are scary but most of the snakes that are running around are not much threat to any humans. They screw up the natural balance of things but will not be chasing anyone down the street. Your common house cat does far more damage to people. If house cats were any bigger they would have to be exterminated. They are aggressive and will even attack people they know. You put a kitten with a young child and you are really looking for trouble. That kitten can tear out the child's eye in an instant. The last kitten I had used to lay in wait and leap on you back from the fireplace sinking it's claws in. My back looked like I was a tortured prisoner of war or something when I took my shirt off.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:10 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,577,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
DH saw a python not too far from our place outside Ocala.....lets just say it died from fright!
It was about 7 feet.
Just saw this. O.M.G. If I see one, I will make sure it gets scared to death......

ps-I ain't sceerd of no stinkin' housecat......<s>

Old 11-21-2010, 09:49 PM

376 posts, read 906,268 times
Iguanas took a hit from the cold last winter here on Sanibel Island but I've seen 2 in the last month... they are def backkkkkk!

Old 11-21-2010, 09:58 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,203,487 times
Snakes? I worry more about traffic in Miami than snakes. I think I have more of a chance of getting killed on US 1, than being swallowed or chased by a snake.

Old 11-22-2010, 05:09 PM

4,972 posts, read 7,157,141 times
I've never understood the "any thing goes" attitude in Florida. Why is there still debate whether or not to ban the things? Just ban them already.

Old 11-22-2010, 05:20 PM

25,915 posts, read 24,567,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
I have owned numerous snakes and you are giving them attributes they just don't have. Venomus snakes are scary but most of the snakes that are running around are not much threat to any humans. They screw up the natural balance of things but will not be chasing anyone down the street. Your common house cat does far more damage to people. If house cats were any bigger they would have to be exterminated. They are aggressive and will even attack people they know. You put a kitten with a young child and you are really looking for trouble. That kitten can tear out the child's eye in an instant. The last kitten I had used to lay in wait and leap on you back from the fireplace sinking it's claws in. My back looked like I was a tortured prisoner of war or something when I took my shirt off.
I never understood people who keep snakes as pets. What is the point?

While there are other pets that occasionally turn nasty, comparing cats with snakes is a bit ridiculous...

Old 11-22-2010, 05:47 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,825,160 times
Burmese pythons in Florida is not a new problem. Apparently, because the elections are over, they need to search for things to report, although I can't imagine what could be scarier than the midterm election results.

Actually, now that I think about it, there is a correlation... politicians, snakes.

Old 11-22-2010, 05:59 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,825,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Crazy, aint it?
If they would declare open season, with buyers for the hides, every hunter and redneck from all over would come and join in the hunt.
I'm not sure I understand your comment. Would that be a good or a bad thing? The snakes should be humanely captured and relocated or, if necessary, euthanized. People only sanction hunting the snakes because they're not cute like puppies.

Just what we need, more people with guns coming to Florida.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:00 PM

3,730 posts, read 5,716,087 times
It's the exotic HUMANS in Florida that keep me away.

And frankly, being squeezed-to-death by a Python is probably far more pleasant than being kept alive for years in some 'care facility', against your will, with a ventilator tube down your throat, and your hands shackled to the bed....no hope of begging to be allowed to die....knowing that the estate you've been building since you were twentysomething is going to the greedy 'Healthcare Industry' and not to your descendants. That's the reality of Death in Florida, far more than being snagged by a Snake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida