Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 10:55 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times

Advertisements

[quote=Tiger Beer;16829233 and it seems like a lot of Floridians are NOT into other cultures at all, than Tampa would be the better fit.[/QUOTE]

Spot on! It's so prevalent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 05:14 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,114,098 times
Let me guess, you must be Puerto Rican or Mexican? LoL

Also, I can agree that I see a difference in the generation of immigrants now and those that came in the 1950s/60s like my Uncle (who is a very very successful doctor...his wife is blood family, I'm not Cuban, and they live in Jax). One of my mom's best friends is a Cuban who came to Miami in the late 50s with her family to vacation, and at that time Batista took over and they could not return to Cuba, so they had to make do with just their vacation clothes and a hotel room. That family is a very productive, very wealthy, and very Americanized family now. I think you have the Cubans all wrong (and FWIW I have heard lots of things about the vastly and rapidly improving situation in Hialeah. The population is actually shrinking because people there have more money and are combining units in apartments to live in larger spaces.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:20 PM

11 posts, read 43,989 times
75% American 8th Gen Indian, 10% Jew, 10% German. Jsimms3, I do not believe you. I was just in Hialeah and the place is so repulsive my poor Dog, shotgun, began barking and vomiting. Hialeah was once a beautiful white Hood, now a complete DUMP.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:02 PM

810 posts, read 1,578,629 times
miami and tampa are fine, choose the best school

Old 06-20-2012, 08:53 PM

419 posts, read 998,460 times
Miami for life!!

Old 06-21-2012, 05:29 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,689,444 times
how are both schools virtually the same?

FIU or USF?
not even close to being the same

University of Miami or University of Tampa? Again, not virtually the same at all.
what schools are "virtually the same?"

maybe Hillsborough community college and Miami-Dade College?

um, how bout u pick the best school for your program. Beng from Honolulu will not make u feel any more comfortable in either city. Miami and Tampa are hotter than Honolulu in the summer and colder in the winter..

both geographically unimpressive when compared to Hawaii.
You're white and you're practically fluent in spanish? lol doesn't matter, hun....you're still white and in Miami that can be good or bad, depending on ur scene really.

Pick the best school for for you. No 2 schools are virtually the same

Old 06-21-2012, 10:48 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,202,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
how are both schools virtually the same?

FIU or USF?
not even close to being the same

University of Miami or University of Tampa? Again, not virtually the same at all.
what schools are "virtually the same?"

maybe Hillsborough community college and Miami-Dade College?

um, how bout u pick the best school for your program. Beng from Honolulu will not make u feel any more comfortable in either city. Miami and Tampa are hotter than Honolulu in the summer and colder in the winter..

both geographically unimpressive when compared to Hawaii.
You're white and you're practically fluent in spanish? lol doesn't matter, hun....you're still white and in Miami that can be good or bad, depending on ur scene really.

Pick the best school for for you. No 2 schools are virtually the same
Really? Florida is cool in the winter, however Miami usually is and always is warm. RARELY do strong cold fronts make it cold unless your like me and consider anything below 70 degrees cold lol. Plus I would think Honolulu doesn't quite have a real winter.

I'm not understanding how you draw this conclusion. This is subjective.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:06 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,689,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
Really? Florida is cool in the winter, however Miami usually is and always is warm. RARELY do strong cold fronts make it cold unless your like me and consider anything below 70 degrees cold lol. Plus I would think Honolulu doesn't quite have a real winter.

I'm not understanding how you draw this conclusion. This is subjective.
Miami has cool spells in the winter, where night time lows are in the 40s and highs in the 60s.
Hawaii never gets that cool, where as in Miami, it happens 3 or 4 times a winter. Miami has seen snow before on super super rare occasions, however Honolulu never has. Miami is more northerly than Hawaii....hence the reason it gets cooler. Also, Miami received less hours of sun than Honolulu in the winter.

Regarding my statement about being less geographically impressive im talking about the topography of miami and florida in general....flat and swampy.

hawaii is is amazingly more diverse as far as mountains, canyons, vistas, rain forests, volcanoes, etc.

florida, again is flat and swampy.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:42 AM

776 posts, read 1,672,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
If you are NOT into that stuff..and it seems like a lot of Floridians are NOT into other cultures at all, than Tampa would be the better fit.
Funny because to me the Tampa area is far more diverse than Miami and more a melting pot of a broad section of people from all walks of life would feel comfortable in. Tampa is closer to what a true melting pot like Chicago is IMHO..

Old 06-23-2012, 10:44 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,202,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Miami has cool spells in the winter, where night time lows are in the 40s and highs in the 60s.
Hawaii never gets that cool, where as in Miami, it happens 3 or 4 times a winter. Miami has seen snow before on super super rare occasions, however Honolulu never has. Miami is more northerly than Hawaii....hence the reason it gets cooler. Also, Miami received less hours of sun than Honolulu in the winter.

Regarding my statement about being less geographically impressive im talking about the topography of miami and florida in general....flat and swampy.

hawaii is is amazingly more diverse as far as mountains, canyons, vistas, rain forests, volcanoes, etc.

florida, again is flat and swampy.

Again it's subjective. One may not like the variety of topography. I for one don't, but I wouldn't go and say Florida is far more impressive than Hawaii. Although I like Florida, and I prefer FLAT land than hilly, rocky,mountain landscape, it's merely my opinion, and wouldn't be right or wrong.

Exactly. One could say they like Flat and Swampy over the listed diverse options you gave for Hawaii. Florida can be the most beautiful between the two. Thats all I'm saying.

OBVIOUSLY. it's connected to a real continent unlike Hawaii.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida