U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 10:23 AM

9,324 posts, read 23,768,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
If we get a terror attack we deal with it. Thats what we do! If we can't stop it. We deal with it thats all we can do.
But did anyone think about an attack economically? Just a thought.
The Federal Reserve has already attacked our economy. The well-connected have moved manufacturing offshore. All it takes is their whim to get the next Great Depression started. Crash the economy, what a great way to push forward total economic fascism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 02:48 PM

1,346 posts, read 1,671,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post

If you ask me, there are disproportionate resources spent on protecting the public from "terrorism" (or rather, those resources aren't spent properly).

is that so? could it be that the high level of vigilance you're whining about has stopped many planned attacks, exactly what do you base your claims on?
comparing terrorism to a car accicdent victims is just simple minded thinking, a trait that I suspect most people who hold the same views share

Old 07-16-2007, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniemom View Post
To most of you, a terrorist attack is something that you read about in a paper or watch on TV. To some of us it is something that we live with everyday. My husband was at 9-11. He was one of the first to respond to the trade centers. By the Grace of GOD, he is alive today. He never speaks of what he saw. We did lose people that we knew inside. One if his best friends (also a respondent) is perm disabled because he was inside when the towers collapsed.

After 9-11, my husband switched brances of law enforcement to work in an anti-terrorist capacity putting his life on the line everyday he goes to work. EVERYDAY as he walks out the door, I ask GOD to BLESS him and bring him home safely.

It is something that is very real and we all have to be aware of. Should we live our lives in fear? No. That is what they want. We just need to be aware.

Do I think that the govmt holds things back from the gen public? Of course they do. Should they? Of course! My own husband holds things back from me, and you know what? I do sleep better not knowing certain things.
I worked in the buildings for almost 23 years, lost many good friends that day.

the shepple don't have a clue, they're being led and buying into the crap put out by a media that has an attack bush mentality, and a bias that is detrimental to the good of this country's future.
I was involved in a local OEM office and you are right when you say not every threat is made public nor should they be, fortunately our government is working hard to be on top of things and while they are far from perfect I'd rather suffer with errors of commission than errors of omission.

Old 07-16-2007, 03:06 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,871,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
Personally, I am less than scared. I am more worried about dying in a car accident then getting bombed while I am at the mall or my water getting laced with Ebola. Even if there were an attack, what are the chances you will be there at the time of the attack? Terrorists feed on fear, so don't fear!
Yeah, if you see that plane coming toward you or bullets, just raise your fist and they will run in fear. We are Americans, we are right and all others are wrong!

Old 07-16-2007, 03:09 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,871,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
Want to hunt down a terrorist? Go to any bar at closing time, they are filing out and getting behind the wheels of cars and murdering people by the thousands each year. Terrorists would be hard pressed to kill as many as are killed every day through medical malpractice. Safety is an illusion we like to enjoy but it is just that. All we can do is go about our lives.

If we really dwelled on the dangers we face every day we would never leave our houses. The odds are very good that someone who read this board today will be dead tomorrow. Terrorists are the least of our problems and if they want to wreak havoc there is not much we could do about it. I would say there are not as many terrorists as they would lead us to believe. But then again, it doesn't take many.
This is a great post!!!!!

Old 07-16-2007, 04:06 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,240,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
Want to hunt down a terrorist? Go to any bar at closing time, they are filing out and getting behind the wheels of cars and murdering people by the thousands each year. Terrorists would be hard pressed to kill as many as are killed every day through medical malpractice. Safety is an illusion we like to enjoy but it is just that. All we can do is go about our lives.

If we really dwelled on the dangers we face every day we would never leave our houses. The odds are very good that someone who read this board today will be dead tomorrow. Terrorists are the least of our problems and if they want to wreak havoc there is not much we could do about it. I would say there are not as many terrorists as they would lead us to believe. But then again, it doesn't take many.
Superb post, this is a reality the goes on with little efforts to get it corrected...

Old 07-16-2007, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
Superb post, this is a reality the goes on with little efforts to get it corrected...
the reality is that very little can be done about a jerk that cannot drink responsibly and equating that with an act of terrorism is just a red herring, an attempt to deflect attention from what should be concern #1.

Both are problems but are far from equal and dealing with one has nothing at all to do with dealing with the other

Old 07-16-2007, 04:41 PM

541 posts, read 1,814,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar31 View Post
since some are being creative about how external forces can cause damage to us, what if the chinese government decides to suspend all shippings to the US! what will happen?
We won't die from poison laced food and faulty tires? Why the US insists on everything being made over there boggels my mind. They could wipe us out faster than the Middle East. I think the pet food poison scare was only the beginning with China.

Old 07-16-2007, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthatmouse View Post
We won't die from poison laced food and faulty tires? Why the US insists on everything being made over there boggels my mind. They could wipe us out faster than the Middle East. I think the pet food poison scare was only the beginning with China.
because american consumers will put price ahead of quality for their purchases just about everytime

Old 07-16-2007, 05:22 PM

1,456 posts, read 3,761,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kort677 View Post
because american consumers will put price ahead of quality for their purchases just about everytime

May be if the "authority" was less flex on having American jobs sent overseas, there will be more Americans employeed and fewer Americans cashing that un-employment. But, when we have an administration providing tax breaks for businesses sending work overseas...it just makes an average American wonder about "who cares about who."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or