U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 10:49 AM

460 posts, read 2,145,013 times

Advertisements

O.k. my husband says that someone told him that the brown recluse is ALL over the place here in Florida. Is this true??
Any info appreciated!

Jen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 10:50 AM

8,376 posts, read 27,740,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceandreams94 View Post
O.k. my husband says that someone told him that the brown recluse is ALL over the place here in Florida. Is this true??
Any info appreciated!

Jen
The Brown Recluse is not even in its native range in most of Florida, despite the myth!

Brown Recluse Spider

Old 07-11-2007, 11:04 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,393,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceandreams94 View Post
Any info appreciated!

Jen
They are bad news, I got bit by one that put me in the hospital. To be honest, that is the only one I have ever seen, that was in Hollywood by the way. I see lots of Black widows though, I can find them in my garage any given day.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:05 AM

2,086 posts, read 6,933,514 times
A friend of mine in Orlando (+ his roommates) and my old boss in Miami all had nasty encounters with Brown Recluses. They are not necessarily aggressive, but they can hide in unsuspecting places such as bedding. I never had an encounter with one and neither has anyone in my family (all life-long Floridians), but it's best to educate yourself on them so you can recognize one should you come in contact with them. It is very important to get treatment soon after being bitten.

Also keep an eye out for BROWN widows as well. Though not as aggressive as black widows, their venom is a bit more potent. They are in FL, so keep an eye out.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:06 AM

8,376 posts, read 27,740,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
I see lots of Black widows though, I can find them in my garage any given day.
I still am amazed at how lucky I am with these bugs! I guess the real estate here is too expensive for them.

The recluses are existent here, but this is not really their range.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:09 AM

18 posts, read 171,199 times
Hi oceandreams, by the way, CONGRATULATIONS on your move!!!
I live in Illinois, and they are everywhere here.

I'm 40 years old, and have never seen a Brown Recluse (that I know of), or been bitten. I have lived in the country, and on a small community lake, both areas heavily wooded.....with bugs of all sorts.....even the flying roaches that are nearly three inches in length....hehehehe....but here they are called commonly called Wood Roaches....

I have only ever heard of one person being bitten by a Brown Recluse, and it was cleared up with antibiotics. The horrible pics you will find are when the bite is left untreated.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:22 AM

460 posts, read 2,145,013 times
Hi Justme! lol, I moved from Illinois and I know they can be found there, but I never did find any all 25 years of living up there.
I hope I dont see one down here either!

Thank you everyone for your replies! My husband was making me think that they could be found anywhere in the house!!

Old 07-11-2007, 11:24 AM

18 posts, read 171,199 times
I do actually know one person that has had a serious infestation of them. The exterminator set out sticky traps.

I found this link awhile ago, but maybe others have more information regarding the spiders most common in your area....

Brown Recluse First Aid Kit - Spider Traps

Old 07-11-2007, 12:10 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,393,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
I still am amazed at how lucky I am with these bugs! I guess the real estate here is too expensive for them.

The recluses are existent here, but this is not really their range.
I don't make any effort to get rid of them because they don't bother me. It is an old garage and is a nice habitat for things like that. You are right about our area we don't really have a bug problem. I hardly even get mosquitoes and never see any flies. When I was a kid we used to have those fog trucks that went up and down the streets certain times of the year and later had planes that would spray but they never do that any more. Not much swamp left any more I guess, they have been filled in and built on it all.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:17 PM

975 posts, read 3,430,253 times
Strangely enough, I didn't see any unusual insects on my trip, and I was keeping an eye for them. Just a bunch of anoles, and some pelicans(?).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or