U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-07-2010, 05:41 PM

3 posts, read 3,961 times

Advertisements

Hi there!

As ridiculous as this is going to sound to some, I am a single mom of two teens looking to get out of NY state and relocate to Florida.
I have no knowledge of Florida whatsoever, and unfortunately would be arriving with no job or vehicle.
If anyone could advise me on the current job market, public transportation, crime rates, and best/safest places for families on modest income, etc., we'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 05:54 PM

93 posts, read 111,221 times
Having lived in Florida for several years, I have learned that you need a vehicle to get around. Public transportation has gotten better but still no replacement for having your own car. So I would suggest getting a vehicle right away. The job market is pretty bad here but the worst is the real estate market. Florida is suffering the most, if not closest to it, when it comes to the foreclosures. So, it may be to your benefit since you may be able to find a home at a very good price but be prepared to stay for a long time since the housing market is not getting better any time soon. Property values have gone down so much and Im not sure if we have hit bottom yet. Without knowing what your price range would be and what kind of environment you would be looking for, it would be hard to recommend a place to live. I would need more details....Also what part of NY would you be moving from? My grandmother and aunt recently moved from NY (Staten Island) to north FL and grandmother loves it but I think my aunt is having second thoughts. She was so used to the hectic, busy lifestyle and where she lives now, it is the opposite.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:48 PM

1,882 posts, read 2,945,742 times
Statewide unemployment is over 12%, I would not suggest moving here without a job lined up. Unless you have a lot of money to live off of, you will need a source of income to qualify for many rentals. Also a car is mandatory in most parts if not all of Florida. Unless you live in a large metro area and can rely on mass transportation.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:02 AM

330 posts, read 587,991 times
Moving anywhere without a job lined up seems ridiculous to me.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:24 PM

2,303 posts, read 2,404,877 times
Umm well first every city you need a car. Plain and simple, this goes for cities like gainesville, sarasota, daytona beach etc. even though all cities in Florida well not all but all medium to large sized cities have city buses, with Miami the only city having rapid rail transit, thats why you need a car or something, hell even a scooter

Second it all depends. Florida is a rather large state of variety, so depending on culture, tradition, vibes of the city, whether you want beach and sunshine all year, a COLD winter, a Mild Winter, A Hot SUMMER, or any of the mix, you have options. Small city, medium city, town, large city, city with no beach, city with a beach, city near a beach etc.

So its hard to say lol.
But being said you have to minors, my suggestion would be if you go to a big city like Miami, Tampa, Orlando, Ft. Lauderdale, St. Petersburg, Jacksonville your suited better for a job and some method of transportation, in a smaller city (If Not one of the suburbs of the above mentioned cities) you will have a difficult time with a job OR a GREAT time depending on the exact city and its economy because in Florida its basically you either have a job or you don't. Not almost, not just yet, not even maybe anymore. So it is difficult but not completely impossible to find a job.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:54 PM

20,008 posts, read 16,165,911 times
Sounds like a poor plan to just pack up and move to a place you know nothing about have no job,no way to get around,no friends,no family or connections.
What kind of jobs will you be looking for and whats your budget for accommodations?..

Old 12-08-2010, 02:56 PM

1,499 posts, read 1,362,290 times
Out of the frying pan and into the fire...

Old 12-09-2010, 06:34 AM

85 posts, read 158,632 times
WOW,,you will need a vehicle,transportation in FL is like cave man day's way behind unless you are in Miami/Tampa/Jacksonville.WEST PALM BEACH AREA IS POOR FOR GETTING AROUND,,THE LONG TIME RESIDENTS THINK IT'S GREAT BUT FROM A NYORKER OR EX nj RESIDENT IT'S NODDA.Job market is horrendous one of the highest unemployemnt rates.
Crime rates vary,however FL being a transient state it's violent & alot of crime.
Best & safest??? throw a dart,again it varies from City to City.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:31 AM

10,284 posts, read 16,800,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broommama14843 View Post
Hi there!

As ridiculous as this is going to sound to some, I am a single mom of two teens looking to get out of NY state and relocate to Florida.
I have no knowledge of Florida whatsoever, and unfortunately would be arriving with no job or vehicle.
If anyone could advise me on the current job market, public transportation, crime rates, and best/safest places for families on modest income, etc., we'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!
Hello! I am going to assume you are asking this seriously, but honestly it comes across as a bad joke. WHY would you even consider this? And why Florida? A single mom with two teens, and you know nothing of Florida, no job no car.

My advice is stay where you are. If you have a means of supporting yourself you would have to be out of your mind to make a move like this. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida