Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 05:04 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,155,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
Interesting site but believe it or not, I have a tough time with photos, too. I have no idea where that comes from but I know I could never be on 'Fear Factor'. I can't watch the geiko commercials either.
Boo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 05:23 PM

1,135 posts, read 3,981,104 times
Heres my little friend scaling the wall....
what the foto doesnt show is his size. Hes about
as big as a baseball
Attached Thumbnails
What do you do with lizards...?-photo-2.jpg  

Old 07-12-2007, 05:39 PM

73 posts, read 346,718 times
Sunrico, I believe that pic you have there is of a skink, is it not? It's not good for cats to eat skinks but I've been told by vets that the geckos are harmless to eat. My dogs have great fun chasing them but I can't stand to have them catch one, they are such wonderful little creatures, & so good to eat insects. When I get one in the house that I can't get out I set out a dish of water so hopefully it wont die of thirst, that's so sad, not to mention the horrible smell when one dies inside.
If the people who are afraid of them would just get used to holding the tiny baby ones maybe the fear could be gradually overcome...

Old 07-12-2007, 05:59 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,155,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkie2 View Post
Sunrico, I believe that pic you have there is of a skink, is it not? It's not good for cats to eat skinks but I've been told by vets that the geckos are harmless to eat. My dogs have great fun chasing them but I can't stand to have them catch one, they are such wonderful little creatures, & so good to eat insects. When I get one in the house that I can't get out I set out a dish of water so hopefully it wont die of thirst, that's so sad, not to mention the horrible smell when one dies inside.
If the people who are afraid of them would just get used to holding the tiny baby ones maybe the fear could be gradually overcome...

They go in the garage all the time and eat bugs... So far none has die in the garage and I hope it never happens....

Old 07-12-2007, 06:34 PM

262 posts, read 937,493 times
I love lizards - they're so cute. We were lucky to see a chameleon at Leu Gardens (Orlando) last year - a real chammie, and he was brilliant green. Down in Ft. Laud, we saw a lizard that was larger than the ones here, and had much longer legs. Don't know what kind it was.

And the other day, I found a baby lizard in my house. He was difficult to catch, but I managed to cup my hands around him and gently take him outside to an hibiscus bush where he would be happier.

OTOH, I am scared of these monster bugs we have here. Ehhhhhh - can't get away from those disgusting things fast enough.

At first I was upset by the OP's original comments. But it's a phobia - we can't pick and choose what gives us the willies. Some people are afraid of lizards; others are afraid of snakes or bugs. So I guess we should just be respectful that people have different fears - and the OP did say she wanted a humane way to get the lizzies out.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:40 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,962,065 times
Quote:
I chase them with brooms, I swat at them with anything with a long handle and I even sprayed "RAID" insect killer on a few of them. Is there a humane way to keep them out?
You sprayed Raid on them??? Why on earth would you do that? They harm nobody, and they eat bugs. Sorry, but that's truly vile.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:41 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,962,065 times
Quote:
Yea I know its pretty brutal LOL! But Im not a monster, I promise! So I need to find a more humane way to deal with it. I wish could be 'one with the lizard' but they give me the heebee geebees.
Then move. That's totally disgusting and cruel.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:44 PM

573 posts, read 2,441,985 times
Talking No More RAID please!!!

OMG! I can't believe you use RAID! That's really cruel.... : (
Just let them crawl into the palm of your hand and take them outside.

I'm sure I grossed you out even more with my suggestion. The thing that does gross me out about the lizards is when their tail falls off and is still alive moving and twitching. I don't like touching the tail, but the lizard himself, not a problem!

My husband and I were just talking about when we move to NC how much we are going to miss them. How do you get so many inside your house? I've lived in my home for 7 years and I've only had one. Our cat found him...she didn't even eat it, just hoarded it until we took it outside.

I love how they blend in with their surroundings. Especially when they have just been sitting on a bright green leafy plant...so pretty.

Please follow the other posters advice and TAKE THEM OUTSIDE!!

Quote:
You know the little ones that hang out on your patio, garage, and sneak into your house every once in a while? Well I'm freaked out whenever I see those things (that and frogs) but I don't know how to get rid of them.

I have to confess:

I chase them with brooms, I swat at them with anything with a long handle and I even sprayed "RAID" insect killer on a few of them. Is there a humane way to keep them out?

Old 07-12-2007, 06:46 PM

573 posts, read 2,441,985 times
cil,

That baby lizard pic is so cute. It makes me want to go outside and look for one! Even my 4 year old daughter loves them....we go lizard hunting all the time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Just remember that lizards eat bugs--that makes them A-Okay in my book, but also I do find them kinda cute.
My cat gets them too, they come in the screened porch, and sometimes they lose their tails but they usually do not lose their lives.
Check out this little baby:

Old 07-12-2007, 07:05 PM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,497,513 times
Default Give the girl a break already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
You sprayed Raid on them??? Why on earth would you do that? They harm nobody, and they eat bugs. Sorry, but that's truly vile.

How many more people are going to arrive late to this party and make their angry comments to this person already???
I think she has fully explained herself quite clearly. If any of you have ever experienced a phobia then you would know that it can cause a person to react in an exaggerated fashion.

This thread has gotten more attention than the two that were made about the Mother that was gang raped in her home and forced to perform oral sex on her own child!!!
People seemed more concerned about a lizard than about a human life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida