Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 12:09 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times

Advertisements

This cold snap was tough on some of the lizards.
They would come out when the sun was high, but then the cold would catch up with them.
I rescued one little guy that I found on my back porch step early this morning.
I brought him inside to warm up, then let him go out into the sunshine just now.
He's still near the house and I think he'll be okay tonight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 12:11 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,128,950 times
I wish someone could get the OP to understand that for every innocent lizard she poisons to death because of her squeamishness, the rest of us have to live with a lizard's lifetime of insects that otherwise would have been eaten.

Stop killing the lizards, please. They are on your side.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:50 PM

1,988 posts, read 7,147,764 times
I love the lizards. It may sound weird but they are one of my favorite things about Florida. I would be heartbroken if I accidentally stepped on one. I have had them get into my house on two occasions I can recall. Both times, I put it in a jar and put it back outside unscathed. I cannot say I offer the same protection for spiders or cockroaches though.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:21 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
We've got a skink that lives in our garage on a more or less permanent basis. He's now big enough to keep some serious bugs from making it into the laundry room.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:53 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,168,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
I wish someone could get the OP to understand that for every innocent lizard she poisons to death because of her squeamishness, the rest of us have to live with a lizard's lifetime of insects that otherwise would have been eaten.

Stop killing the lizards, please. They are on your side.
Yes, they are; and part of the local ecosystem. This is what happens when foreigners to this climate re-locate and have no clue as to flora or fauna.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:57 PM

8 posts, read 99,595 times
I love the lizards (anole's) and you should not spray them with anything. They are very benificial and eat bugs. I cant believe you spray them with bug spray. Very cruel. The spiders should creep you out or how about the palmetto bugs (they look like big roaches to me). They try to get into your home and when they do get in, yuck!!! Those are the only bugs I dont like. But I dont spray them, just pick them up with a paper towel and place it back outside.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:52 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,213,642 times
I don't usually post just to echo others but I feel compelled to do so in this case. The lizards (the ones referenced are probably anoles) are here to stay. We can live in harmony with them and as many have said before they eat bugs and do absolutely no harm to us/ The brown anoles are not actually native (they are from Cuba) but the green ones are. I like both despite the fact that the brown ones are no more native than I am. Leave them alone they are not doing anything harmful.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:06 PM

92 posts, read 356,585 times
I think they are adorable, but if one ever gets in your house and you don't catch it right away they leave little doo doo droppings, which I don't like!

Old 02-09-2009, 08:10 PM

36 posts, read 185,676 times
Dear Prettygyrl777,

Here in FL, the lizards are your FRIENDS.

They eat the mosquitos and spiders (including the many poisonous spiders) that lurk in your grass, shrubs, trees, and yes, even in your home! If you live here long enough, you'll certainly walk into a room one day or night and see a huge, ugly poisonous spider walking across your floor... and believe me, just the THOUGHT of one of those crawling into your bed at night and biting you will be enough for you to begin apprecating your little lizard friends. I know you don't think they are "cute", but please know that they are harmless to you, and without them your home -- inside and out -- would be crawling with icky, scary, and potentially dangerous insects.

And by the way..... You can't really kill a spider with Raid because, unless you empty an entire can on one, it will just walk through the puddle unharmed with its long legs. So.... Whatcha gonna do when they come for you???

You have 3 choices:
1) Move a few states further north where there are no lizards.
2) Adopt a couple of indoor cats and you'll rarely if ever see a lizard in your home.
3) Learn to save a lost lizard humanely with a tupperware container and a piece of paper slid underneath it.

Just relax and remind yourself that a lizard is just a cute little Gieco salesman

Old 02-09-2009, 08:27 PM

36 posts, read 185,676 times
PS.......
We moved to a completely brand new town called Tradition in Port St Lucie 2.5 years ago, and because of all the miles of new construction that was going on, all of the natural local wildlife was gone. There were no lizards, no frogs, no snakes, no furry wild animals. Nothing. But there WERE tons of spiders. Big, hairy, ugly, scary spiders. And many were poisonous ones. There were sooooo many spiders, you could actually count dozens of them climbing around in your lawn grass, and walking right into your house every time you opened a door. (Brazen Monsters!)

Finally, after the first year, when the majority of the construction near us had been completed, the wildlife began returning. At first I was shocked by all of the lizards, frogs, etc... but then I noticed that I wasn't seeing half as many spiders in my house. In fact, now I hardly ever find any at all. And I'm quite sure I owe it mainly to the lizards and frogs living in my gardens. Sure, occasionally one gets indoors by accident... but we have 2 indoor cats, so unless I actually see the lizards before they do (and I catch and release them humanely), I don't see 'em at all.

GOOGLE POISONOUS SPIDERS IN FLORIDA.
READ ABOUT THEM & LOOK AT THE SCARY PHOTOS.
THEN GO OUTSIDE AND SAY "THANK YOU" TO YOUR LIZARDS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida