Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 11:00 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
Have you ever heard of third hand smoke? Nicotine sticks to EVERYTHING, the glass your going to take a drink out of, the table you smoked at, the clothing you wear, your hair. That make their bar/kitchen unsanitary. You also cant just walk out of a bar and think that no damage has been done. If you can smell tobacco smoke even if you can't see it you're still breathing in toxins and carrying those toxins on your body, including more than 60 known carcinogens. Its just not that simple to not breath it in.
THIRD hand smoke? I don't mean to be rude, but that sounds a little ridiculous at first glance. Not saying I don't believe you, but it'd be nice to see some scientific sources about this alleged "third" hand smoke, specifically any linking it to negative health consequences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 11:09 AM

334 posts, read 1,151,732 times
Quote:
Have you ever heard of third hand smoke? Nicotine sticks to EVERYTHING, the glass your going to take a drink out of, the table you smoked at, the clothing you wear, your hair. That make their bar/kitchen unsanitary. You also cant just walk out of a bar and think that no damage has been done. If you can smell tobacco smoke even if you can't see it you're still breathing in toxins and carrying those toxins on your body, including more than 60 known carcinogens. Its just not that simple to not breath it in.
I'll say it again: bars that serve food can't allow smoking. There is no kitchen if a bar allows smoking!

If you're the kind of person who believes in nonsense like third-hand smoke, or that the toxins in a single breath of second-hand smoke can give you cancer, why on earth do you care about going to a bar? Don't you know that alcohol can kill you also?

Old 12-15-2010, 11:28 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoty View Post
I'll say it again: bars that serve food can't allow smoking. There is no kitchen if a bar allows smoking!

If you're the kind of person who believes in nonsense like third-hand smoke, or that the toxins in a single breath of second-hand smoke can give you cancer, why on earth do you care about going to a bar? Don't you know that alcohol can kill you also?
Exactly. Plus, she says she is pregnant, so shouldn't be drinking anyway.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:34 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,686 times
Quote:

I'm 22 years old because Im a parent and pregnant doesnt mean I cant go hang out with my friends who go to bars/clubs. Plus drinking doesnt affect me personally, drinking does not cause any damage to the people around you, SMOKING DOES. Sorry but the people consuming the alcohol are the only ones doing so, not the person standing near them as it would be with smoking.

About Third Hand Smoke:

[color=#ff4400]]University of California - UC Newsroom | Thirdhand smoke worries researchers
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/03/he...h/03smoke.html
Carcinogens form from third-hand smoke
Thirdhand smoke another danger - MayoClinic.com (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/thirdhand-smoke/MY00591 - broken link)
Third-Hand Smoke - Third-Hand Smoke and Children
Study: “Third-Hand Smoke” Sticks Around & Produces New Carcinogens | 80beats | Discover Magazine
Third-hand smoke: Another reason to quit smoking - Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA
New Research is Spotlighting The Dangers of Third-Hand Smoke - State Journal - STATEJOURNAL.com (http://www.statejournal.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=90700 - broken link)

More about second hand smoke:
Medical Daily: 600,000 people dies annually from second-hand smoke
Secondhand Smoke
Nonsmoking apartments still expose kids to smoke | Reuters
Secondhand Smoke
Secondhand Smoke and Cancer - National Cancer Institute
Smoke-free Homes and Cars Program | Indoor Air | US EPA
Secondhand smoke: Avoid dangers in the air - MayoClinic.com

Old 12-15-2010, 01:02 PM

334 posts, read 1,151,732 times
Quote:
I'm 22 years old because Im a parent and pregnant doesnt mean I cant go hang out with my friends who go to bars/clubs. Plus drinking doesnt affect me personally, drinking does not cause any damage to the people around you, SMOKING DOES. Sorry but the people consuming the alcohol are the only ones doing so, not the person standing near them as it would be with smoking.
So your friends smoke, and they insist on going to bars where they can smoke, and they won't go somewhere else even though you don't smoke, so therefore the government should ban smoking so you can hang out with your friends? Why not just ask them to go someplace that doesn't allow smoking?

Old 12-15-2010, 03:48 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Quote:
The law in Florida is if 10% (I think that is the percentage????) of the revenue a bar/restaurant makes comes from food sales then they can't allow smoking in their establishment. But if less than 10% of their revenue comes from food then you can smoke in the bar. I just went to a bar in Miami that was smoke filled and I ordered food. I guess most of their money comes from drinks, so hence they can serve food. On the flip side, I just went to a couple of other bars one night without kitchens and they didn't allow smoking either which was nice. All the smokers were outside in the cold

Old 12-15-2010, 04:04 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,686 times
Quote:
So your friends smoke, and they insist on going to bars where they can smoke, and they won't go somewhere else even though you don't smoke, so therefore the government should ban smoking so you can hang out with your friends? Why not just ask them to go someplace that doesn't allow smoking?

They dont smoke. However most bars allow smoking. I dont want to go to a bar inside a restaurant and have my drunk friends make loud noises and disrupt someones dinner. Im fine with Hookah Bars and Cigar lounges but if i just want to go to a BAR not a restaurant bar without smoke.

Old 12-15-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:

About Third Hand Smoke:

[color=#ff4400]]University of California - UC Newsroom | Thirdhand smoke worries researchers
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/03/he...h/03smoke.html
Carcinogens form from third-hand smoke
Thirdhand smoke another danger - MayoClinic.com (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/thirdhand-smoke/MY00591 - broken link)
Third-Hand Smoke - Third-Hand Smoke and Children
Study: “Third-Hand Smoke” Sticks Around & Produces New Carcinogens | 80beats | Discover Magazine
Third-hand smoke: Another reason to quit smoking - Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA
New Research is Spotlighting The Dangers of Third-Hand Smoke - State Journal - STATEJOURNAL.com (http://www.statejournal.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=90700 - broken link)

More about second hand smoke:
Medical Daily: 600,000 people dies annually from second-hand smoke
Secondhand Smoke
Nonsmoking apartments still expose kids to smoke | Reuters
Secondhand Smoke
Secondhand Smoke and Cancer - National Cancer Institute
Smoke-free Homes and Cars Program | Indoor Air | US EPA
Secondhand smoke: Avoid dangers in the air - MayoClinic.com

Thanks

Old 12-15-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy08fox View Post
I'm highly considering looking into passing a bill to rid smoking in establishments.

I'm sorry, I didn't notice this before, but it made my day. I'm pretty sure you personally don't have the power to pass such a bill. It'd be more appropriate to write to your local representative or go to the next city council meeting. I'm sure that's what you meant though

Old 12-15-2010, 06:21 PM

36 posts, read 99,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoxwarrior View Post
I'm sorry, I didn't notice this before, but it made my day. I'm pretty sure you personally don't have the power to pass such a bill. It'd be more appropriate to write to your local representative or go to the next city council meeting. I'm sure that's what you meant though
That is what I meant, I know how the law works. It's too bad though that I can't just personally do it myself or it would have been done yesterday

And to the comments of "well if you know there will be smoke there, don't go". Since I'm still fairly new to the area, it's all been a trial and error situation. And so far I've struck every time I've gone out. Have I gone back to those places.....HELL NO. But I've been to places where they've served food and smoke for that matter too. To the people that say there are plenty of places that don't allow smoking, I have to yet to find them. Perhaps you should just tell me so that I can leave you to smoke in your preferred bars.

I also agree with the third-degree smoke. After going to those crappy places, my hair and clothes smell gawd awful and i'm hacking up smoke residue the next day. Yep, still hate smoking....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida