U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-15-2007, 04:00 PM
 
Location: Jax
8,204 posts, read 32,241,672 times
Reputation: 3397

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleestak View Post
Fair enough. How about a suggestion, though. If you're still looking for a role model in the "Green" movement, how about someone like Ed Begley Jr. I may not agree with all of his politics, but at least he walks the walk. From what I've seen, Begley is a lot more willing to roll up his sleeves and get his hands dirty than Gore.
I like him too .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-15-2007, 04:09 PM
 
2,313 posts, read 2,409,288 times
Reputation: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
He has.

The point of the movie is to educate all of us so that we can all do our part, whatever that may be. Don't worry about what Al Gore is doing and ask what you yourself can do.
If you watch it you can see it was originally just following Al around sort of a day in the life of Al Gore and was to be a political tool. They probably had a few hundred hours of footage and they recut it plus adding graphs and obviously later shot footage and voice overs to make what you see on the screen. They had all this worthless film and found a way to make it marketable sort of like finding a way to sell you vacation videos. I would not give them too much credit for being nobel, it was just about money, nothing else. If others want to read more into it it's their prerogative.

It's little more then a bad attempt at a PBS type show not done nearly as well as most you see on TV. I was kind of shocked when I saw it. Not because of the subject matter, theat is up to the viewer to make up their minds about. But the sheer poor quality of the production and editing. It looks like they got ahold of his footage and cut it together in one sitting between breaks for pizza, it is bad.

Last edited by macguy; 07-15-2007 at 05:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2007, 05:02 PM
 
Location: Jax
8,204 posts, read 32,241,672 times
Reputation: 3397
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
I would not give them too much credit for being nobel, it was just about money, nothing else. If others want to read more into it it's their prerogative.

It's little more then a bad attempt at a PBS type show not done nearly as well as most you see on TV. I was kind of shocked when I saw it. Not because of the subject matter, they is up to the viewer to make up their minds about. But the sheer poor quality of the production and editing. It looks like they got ahold of his footage and cut it together in one sitting between breaks for pizza, it is bad.
There was clearly a message to be shared and research to back it up, if they make some money too, so be it.

The quality of production.......well, I guess you were expecting more on that level than I was. I was more interested in what was being said, I don't care if one of his kids edited it in Final Pro .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2007, 05:04 PM
 
8,376 posts, read 27,804,362 times
Reputation: 2367
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
There was clearly a message to be shared and research to back it up, if they make some money too, so be it.

The quality of production.......well, I guess you were expecting more on that level than I was. I was more interested in what was being said, I don't care if one of his kids edited it in Final Pro .
If it were well produced, it would just get stomped even more by some on this site as "liberal Hollywood media". Regardless, I don't consider myself to have any form of partisan affiliation, so I don't really have a bias either way. I''m something of a social moderate (going slightly left to slightly right) and a fiscal conservative, but it seems as if people have forgot what fiscal conservatism really is. All I really see is a 2 party plutocracy lately.

Anyway, I think it's good that changes are being talked about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2007, 05:19 PM
 
2,313 posts, read 2,409,288 times
Reputation: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
If it were well produced, it would just get stomped even more by some on this site as "liberal Hollywood media". Regardless, I don't consider myself to have any form of partisan affiliation, so I don't really have a bias either way. I''m something of a social moderate (going slightly left to slightly right) and a fiscal conservative, but it seems as if people have forgot what fiscal conservatism really is. All I really see is a 2 party plutocracy lately.

Anyway, I think it's good that changes are being talked about.
Anything that can stimulate conversation and maybe change for the better is a good thing regardless where it comes from. I was serious though, this was an award winning film and you can catch the same stuff on PBS any given week and done better. That was my only point. What a piece of crap it was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2007, 05:21 PM
 
8,376 posts, read 27,804,362 times
Reputation: 2367
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
Anything that can stimulate conversation and maybe change for the better is a good thing regardless where it comes from. I was serious though, this was an award winning film and you can catch the same stuff on PBS any given week and done better. That was my only point. What a piece of crap it was.
Well, that is definitely true, lol.

I am still wondering about those solar panels, and how many barrels of oil required to manufacture one large enough to power a home. Florida has so much potential for solar, but it's hardly a feasible solution of it takes the equivalent of 20 barrels of oil to generate the energy equivalent of one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2007, 09:01 PM
 
Location: Heartland Florida
9,324 posts, read 23,821,237 times
Reputation: 4901
Another one is Dennis Weaver. I made a commitment to cut my energy spending, to limit it to 2% of my income. It involves sacrifice, but I am holding firm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2007, 09:36 PM
 
232 posts, read 691,097 times
Reputation: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Another one is Dennis Weaver. I made a commitment to cut my energy spending, to limit it to 2% of my income. It involves sacrifice, but I am holding firm.
That's an impressive goal, good luck. I did hear about a neat trick that might help. Apparently, it involves freezing two bottles of water solid in the freezer. Just before bed, the bottles were placed in front of a small fan. Supposedly, this cooled the air flow enough for a person to drift off to sleep.
I don't imagine the cooling effect would last very long, but it might help a little bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:15 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top