U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-12-2007, 07:54 PM

2,313 posts, read 210,265 times
Default Why I don't rent to kids.

You wonder why landlords don't want to rent to people with kids.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sfl-712p...4004401.story?
coll=sofla_tab01_layout

I always get annoyed when I see these stories and they are showing the people on the lawn and asking for donations of clothes and a place to stay and here comes the Red Cross helping out. Sure they need a place to stay, they just burnt down some poor innocent persons house who was unfortunate enough to have rented to them.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 07:58 PM

991 posts, read 3,304,969 times
Not all people with children are bad people, my landlord begged me to stay when i was able to afford to buy. We improved his house over the two years we lived there. My landlord also rented to someone with no children who totally destroyed his house and also got arrested on the front lawn.

Old 07-12-2007, 07:59 PM

5,701 posts, read 17,113,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
You wonder why landlords don't want to rent to people with kids.

Firefighters say 4-year-old caused Pompano blaze -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com
coll=sofla_tab01_layout

I always get annoyed when I see these stories and they are showing the people on the lawn and asking for donations of clothes and a place to stay and here comes the Red Cross helping out. Sure they need a place to stay, they just burnt down some poor innocent persons house who was unfortunate enough to have rented to them.
No mention of the parents? Three other children aged 17, 13 and 8 were in the house sleeping at the time. A smoke detector woke them up

Old 07-12-2007, 08:01 PM

2,313 posts, read 210,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momix5 View Post
Not all people with children are bad people, my landlord begged me to stay when i was able to afford to buy. We improved his house over the two years we lived there. My landlord also rented to someone with no children who totally destroyed his house and also got arrested on the front lawn.
Kids are kids no matter whose they are. Not worth the problems. Of course yours are perfect, where have I heard that before. I wasn't being funny. I really get angry when I see these stories on the news. Crying on the lawn how they lost everything. Yea, a bunch of second hand clothes and a TV they still owe money on. While the property owner now has his insurance company to fight with, the loss of income and maybe still a mortgage to pay, no body is looking to take up a collection for him. His crime, he rented to those pigs.

Last edited by macguy; 07-12-2007 at 08:23 PM..

Old 07-12-2007, 09:53 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,765,028 times
Nice attitude. I'm just thankful that no one was hurt - material things can be replaced (that's what insurance is for). Lives cannot.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:57 PM

573 posts, read 1,618,808 times
The parents are to blame, I'm sorry.

What was a 4 year old doing with a lighter in the first place. I agree with Sunrico...where were the parents? I'm sure if the landlord did a background check on the parents or parent something would come up.

I have a 4 year old and I can't believe this story and how careless some people can be. I am always watching her like a hawk. Some people shouldn't have kids that's all. You never know who you are renting to. We rented our house to three different families...let me tell you, the kidless couple caused the most damage and problems. The family with three kids left the house spotless and actually improved the home (painted, planted, and didn't set it on fire!)

It's hard being a landlord...those are just some of the risks you take to make a profit.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:21 PM

7 posts, read 17,412 times
Question try beiing a parent trying to rent with gover tell you must chose to better life for child or whole family

you talk as if we renters are bad. i am a parent who has to make a chose for my family. i have a child with autism and this state won't cover a child with autism on any insurance company at all because there no cure for it. and sad to say autism is 1 out of 150 children will have autism and every 20 min 30 families in one area will find out they have autism in there family. and still no one helps us out in paying for therpist or help in the school systems. i fight every day with goverment, work and school system so my daughter 6 can have a better life. But do to get help i had to go to the gover on welfair . so to get her help i must not have 2,000.00 any where in any of my children or my name , work only 20 hrs and week at 8.50 an hr and my hubby 10.00 hr for 40hrs no over time no family help and no safings or bonds at all. so we can get a check for 650.00 to pay for only help health needs but how am i to make it in the long run i don't . gas alone for me a week is 150.00 dollar to drive to and from therpist not alone work. i tried stressed and wishing to make a better life for my family. I know what it's like to be one of those children on the streets try no home for 5 years as a child under the age of 7 and abusive parent to foster homes . i want to brake that abuse and make a loving growing family to be proud of . so please don't act as we don't care some do we just want a better life and must pick whats right in our hearts. i young but a mother who belives in life and things can happen. i lost my baby girl once to autism at 16months and i won't lose her again to it . she was novebel 3 years ago and now a girl with life and words who loves life and going mainstream do to 7 therpist a week i do and on top of that 2 boys and work part time . so am i to do as a parent give up on her or both . just think about it. nw

Old 07-13-2007, 04:22 AM

2,088 posts, read 1,987,420 times
Nicole - sort of off topic for this thread, but children with autism can be covered for $30 a month (goes on a sliding scale according to salary, but the max is $120 a month) through Florida Kid Care. My daughter is blind and autistic, and when I quit work for a while to homschool my son who has auditory processing disorder and had to get private insurance for our family, I couldn't get my daughter covered with ANY company, so we went to Florida Kid Care. You have to jump through some hoops to get the insurance, and I understand they may turn you down at first, but appeal and you're likely to get the insurance.

Go to Florida KidCare: Child Health Insurance You Can Afford! for the application They're letting schools know the coverage is available.

I too had to humbly fight for services for my daughter when she was younger. I called and put myself on the school board meeting agenda one time, and that helped a lot with services. A board member called the school and asked why a parent was putting herself on their agenda to get services for her child, and had them set up a meeting with me. Just keep asking and asking. Finally, I don't know where you are in Florida, but if you go to www.card-ucf.org (broken link), you'll see how to contact them. They are advocates for your child in the classroom and offer much assistance to parents. They've come to the classroom and helped the teachers when my daughter was younger.

It is my personal opinion insurance for autistic children is not available because parents turned over every stone in an effort to find a cure for their child, and rightfully so because as you pointed out, autism in Florida has risen 700% over the past 20 years. We dissolved an IRA to get very expensive treatment for our daughter. She was born blind, but when she was very little, she used to sing little songs with her mouth against my cheek to feel the words. Then, after a vaccination, she stopped singing so I understand your despair.

PM me if you have any questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole weaver View Post
you talk as if we renters are bad. i am a parent who has to make a chose for my family. i have a child with autism and this state won't cover a child with autism on any insurance company at all because there no cure for it. and sad to say autism is 1 out of 150 children will have autism and every 20 min 30 families in one area will find out they have autism in there family. and still no one helps us out in paying for therpist or help in the school systems. i fight every day with goverment, work and school system so my daughter 6 can have a better life. But do to get help i had to go to the gover on welfair . so to get her help i must not have 2,000.00 any where in any of my children or my name , work only 20 hrs and week at 8.50 an hr and my hubby 10.00 hr for 40hrs no over time no family help and no safings or bonds at all. so we can get a check for 650.00 to pay for only help health needs but how am i to make it in the long run i don't . gas alone for me a week is 150.00 dollar to drive to and from therpist not alone work. i tried stressed and wishing to make a better life for my family. I know what it's like to be one of those children on the streets try no home for 5 years as a child under the age of 7 and abusive parent to foster homes . i want to brake that abuse and make a loving growing family to be proud of . so please don't act as we don't care some do we just want a better life and must pick whats right in our hearts. i young but a mother who belives in life and things can happen. i lost my baby girl once to autism at 16months and i won't lose her again to it . she was novebel 3 years ago and now a girl with life and words who loves life and going mainstream do to 7 therpist a week i do and on top of that 2 boys and work part time . so am i to do as a parent give up on her or both . just think about it. nw

Old 07-13-2007, 04:26 AM

2,088 posts, read 1,987,420 times
My hubby renovates rentals after tenants have vacated, and he has actually come home or called me in tears because he has seen how the parents forced their little children to live. He was really upset when, in one particular unit, he saw more filth than he had ever seen before. And then, in the corner of one room, he saw a little child's mattress on the floor, some little pictures drawn on the wall with crayons, and a very dirty baby doll.

Some people should not be allowed to have children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
No mention of the parents? Three other children aged 17, 13 and 8 were in the house sleeping at the time. A smoke detector woke them up

Old 07-13-2007, 07:06 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,549,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
Kids are kids no matter whose they are. Not worth the problems. Of course yours are perfect, where have I heard that before. I wasn't being funny. I really get angry when I see these stories on the news. Crying on the lawn how they lost everything. Yea, a bunch of second hand clothes and a TV they still owe money on. While the property owner now has his insurance company to fight with, the loss of income and maybe still a mortgage to pay, no body is looking to take up a collection for him. His crime, he rented to those pigs.
I am going to comment on some things.

Of course kids are kids, no matter whose they are. As for being worth the problems, it's the ADULTS-the PARENTS who allow the children to be a problem or not. So it really stems from the adults.

I have rented in three places-I'm in my 3rd actualy now. I have 2 children-2 boys. As of now they are 6 and 11.

In my 1st place they were 3 and 9. We stayed for a year and got our security deposit back. Hmmm...guess there weren't any problems and it was worth the..."trouble". At that same place, we watched two seperate apartments-childless and only consisting of adults...being evicted. Guess they were a problem and they didn't have kids, how could that ever be???

In my second place my children were just about 5 and 10. We stayed for a year and decided to only stay a year due to behaviors of other GROWN tenants. I had a meeting with the leasing agent of the complex to tell her we weren't renewing. Just like the other poster, she too begged me to stay. We were great tenants, and improved the place better than we received it and she knew that because she had been in there. I told her the problem and she had promised me that she would get rid of those tenants if I stayed, but alas, I had already signed another lease elsewhere.

Now I am in my third with with these same two children...6 and 11 (soon to be 7 and 12). I have already been approved for a second year at this place. Had a walkthrough and all and been COMPLIMENTED (how odd, for having children!!!) on how the place looked after living here for a year (mind you, I have 2 children, a dog, and 2 cats!!!).

It's not so much the children, as the responsible adult who supervises the children, raises the children, and takes care of problems once they arrive due to having children (if something gets spilled, as they are children and NOT perfect....then it is the duty of the responsible person to take care of that spill immediately).

I always say that landlords should be lucky to have me. And they know they are. And my goodness, I have children. It is a shame that in most of the places I have lived...the people with the problems are the adults.

Last edited by Mrs.Bewitched; 07-13-2007 at 07:08 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida