U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 08:19 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,238,176 times

Advertisements

They want everyone to apply so here is your chance; Through the My Safe Florida Home program, single family homeowners whose home is insured for less than $300,000, can get a free wind inspection. You have to apply for the program, but if you qualify, you could get $5,000 in matching grants.

The state is urging homeowners to apply for free wind inspections before the next big hurricane hits. If you qualify, a team of inspectors will give your home a thorough check up to see if anything can be done to make your home better withstand hurricane-force winds.

The offer does not come with a time limit. The state expects nearly 500,000 homeowners to get free wind inspections over the next few years. The first step is to fill out an application to see if you qualify for a free wind inspection.
http://www.mysafefloridahome.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 09:48 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,395,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
They want everyone to apply so here is your chance; Through the My Safe Florida Home program, single family homeowners whose home is insured for less than $300,000, can get a free wind inspection. You have to apply for the program, but if you qualify, you could get $5,000 in matching grants.

The state is urging homeowners to apply for free wind inspections before the next big hurricane hits. If you qualify, a team of inspectors will give your home a thorough check up to see if anything can be done to make your home better withstand hurricane-force winds.

The offer does not come with a time limit. The state expects nearly 500,000 homeowners to get free wind inspections over the next few years. The first step is to fill out an application to see if you qualify for a free wind inspection.
http://www.mysafefloridahome.com/
Why do I have a problem with that? I am not sure I want information about me or my house floating around in some database that some insurance company can use against me.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:33 PM

8,204 posts, read 32,174,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
Why do I have a problem with that? I am not sure I want information about me or my house floating around in some database that some insurance company can use against me.
That was my thought as well..........

Old 07-13-2007, 10:49 PM

What are your concerns?

Old 07-13-2007, 11:31 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,395,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
What are your concerns?
Plausible deniability. Once there is a record what they know you know, you lose it.
They could also use those records to cancel policies. Say something like extensive termite damage you didn't even know about. Now they know you know. I would want to know, but what I know, is no one's business. I don't like surprises. A few years ago I was making a change in my health insurance. I knew I would have to get a physical. Before even applying I went and got blood work on my own that no one would know about, I didn't want any surprises. Everything was fine but if there was any problems I didn't want to be messing with my current insurance.

Last edited by macguy; 07-13-2007 at 11:40 PM..

Old 07-14-2007, 04:51 AM

262 posts, read 847,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
Sad to say, it's probably already there. Counties maintain databases of homes in their jurisdiction - it's in the property tax records. It's based on old building permits and inspections by the tax office. You might be able to find the info, depending on what county you're in. Try going to the website of your property tax office. If you have current homeowners' insurance, they've probably already sent an inspector out and that info gets added to their database which might even include info from the previous owner's insurance. If the previous owner ever filed an ins. claim, there's info from that, too. In addition, info might be kept by real estate offices or banks handling the mortgage.

It's really a shame, but it seems we don't have any privacy anymore. Our lives are an open book - and so are our homes.

Old 07-14-2007, 05:59 AM

27 posts, read 75,482 times
Well I just had my inspection 2 weeks ago... Basically all they did was measure and count my windows and door openings from the outside. He did stick his head through access opening of attic to see how roof was attached to exterior walls... Thats it.

Old 07-14-2007, 06:23 AM

128 posts, read 283,017 times
Had my inspection in May. Guy was here at least an hour and a half. Gave the place a good going over. Haven't received my report yet though. Should be here any day. I had already received a letter from my HOI saying that if I had an inspection done (at my expense, $150) they MIGHT, MAYBE lower my HOI a little tiny bit (gee, thanks guys). They weren't offering any matching grant money to make improvements. The State is. I think it's a good deal.

Old 07-14-2007, 06:59 AM

I do respect everyones opinion on the matter of the inspection, but I believe that a free inspection to identify possible structural concerns is a great option. The reports will show how sound is your dwelling and if you have requirements to be upgraded or replaced they will be noted.

This is your biggest investment and I will hope for more assurance of the condition of the home. This can also be a selling point for those willing to relocate.

Old 07-14-2007, 02:26 PM

262 posts, read 847,244 times
I totally agree with you, Sunrico. I'm not concerned about what the insurance co. might find out - because I'm sure they already know it. But I'D like to know what more I can do to mitigate - we already have hurricane shutters. But I'm concerned about my circa-1991 roof and also the foundation. Glad you posted this - I think Home Depot is coordinating with the state to arrange for the inspections, locally - gonna give em a call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida