U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 01:56 PM

2,130 posts, read 2,553,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Everyone that thinks Florida is horrible is correct. I see where the are coming from.

1. Every state should provide you with a job to make a living, even if you are unskilled and a monkey can do it. Everyone should be able to afford a new car and a great place to live. Regardless whether you have built up your skill set or not.
  2. The weather should be a high of 75 and a low of 65 every single day of the year. Anything else is either too hot or too cold.
  3. Auto insurance should be $1 a month and provide PIP plus comp and collision as well as uninsured motorist. (Nevermind Florida is one of the few states where the insurance company is required to replace your windshield with no deductible if its damaged).
  4. Property taxes for residents should be cut in half and the rich should make up the difference in revenue lost. Sales tax should be eliminated. It's not enough that I don't have an income tax.
  5. Everyone should drive like I do on the highways and should go to and from work different hours than I do so there is no traffic.
  6. Panhandlers should go to a different city so I don't have to see them. It's not my problem.
  7. I think some of the street names here are too obscure.

Yeah, it's awful here. If you don't like it leave. From what I understand, all the other states pay so much more and their cost of living is so much less that all you need is your car and the clothes on your back to move. Within no time you'll get a great paying job and be able to pay for your new apartment after just 1 week of work!!

Oh.... you mean its hard to get ahead in Florida? Guess what.... its hard to get ahead everywhere! I love the entitlement attitude people have.
That sounds like someone who moved here with a decent paying job and has only been here a few months. Not everybody's in that boat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 02:26 PM

1,124 posts, read 1,655,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
That sounds like someone who moved here with a decent paying job and has only been here a few months. Not everybody's in that boat.
Ken, You say so much with so few words..... great post!!

Old 01-01-2011, 03:20 PM

7,886 posts, read 4,610,123 times
Then they were fools for gambling on their futures.

Quote:

Old 01-02-2011, 01:46 PM

523 posts, read 705,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hialeah_Rules View Post
Marina, my friend it's tough everywhere. Get a medical degree or work a $8-$12 an hour job until you get promoted to a $16+ an hour job.
Thanks for the advice, but I hate the medical field, I cannot see gruesome or bloody stuff I have a special stomach

I'm more into humanities such as law, arts and business...

Old 01-02-2011, 02:25 PM

523 posts, read 705,637 times
In my opinion, most of Florida's cost of living is average or near above average, EXCEPT for Miami-Dade County... Dade county is horribly expensive and most of it is pure dump except for certain areas such as Brickell, Coral Gables, Key Biscayne and some parts of Miami Beach where all the filthy rich people live. As soon as you reach Miami-Dade county in I-95 you see the third world mentality and the hoods of North Miami, Opa Locka, Overtown, and the many others. These ghettos are expensive too!! A rat infested 1/1 apartment/duplex can be higher than $650 with only one parking lot space without pavement . For that price in Orlando and other cities you can get a nice apartment in a nice and safe area and job pay more. Hialeah is expensive as Kendall, older and uglier but close to everything... Miami-Dade county minimum wage should be more than the whole state's as San Francisco's minimum wage is higher than California's minimum wage.

Sources:

List of U.S. minimum wages - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Condo listings For Rent/Lease in Miami, FL $675 monthly (http://listings.point2.com/1002839587/ - broken link) Liberty City
5734 NW 12 AVE, Miami, FL | Powered by Postlets Liberty City
533 NW 32 Street, One bedroom, Miami,, FL | Powered by Postlets Liberty City
361 N.W. 7th Street, apt. 10, Miami, FL . The rent is $650. | Roomster Overtown

Old 01-02-2011, 02:31 PM

4,754 posts, read 4,065,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina1686 View Post
Thanks for the advice, but I hate the medical field, I cannot see gruesome or bloody stuff I have a special stomach

I'm more into humanities such as law, arts and business...
What about being a radiology tech? They don't deal with blood and guts at all, generally. It's just taking X-rays and ultrasounds and such

Old 01-02-2011, 02:34 PM

23,293 posts, read 30,366,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina1686 View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm writing this because I'm very concerned about Florida salaries. I have a 2 year degree and work exprience in retail and office and all employers can offer is $8 an hour in Orlando and $7.25 in Miami... These salaries are ridiculous, I can't survive on that, thank God I don't have children. What do you think about this situation? I've been applying to offices, retail stores and anything I can qualify for...
That seems to be the going rate lately for low end office and retail jobs.

There are plenty of jobs that pay a lot more, but you need to have a skill set that's needed that not everyone else with a high school diploma has.

Old 01-02-2011, 02:35 PM

23,293 posts, read 30,366,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
What about being a radiology tech? They don't deal with blood and guts at all, generally. It's just taking X-rays and ultrasounds and such
A friend is an ultrasound tech, very little blood and guts there, good money and she loves her job. She works primarily in the OB/Gyn sector. X-rays are a different story, many accident victims are plenty bloody.

Old 01-02-2011, 02:47 PM

4,754 posts, read 4,065,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
A friend is an ultrasound tech, very little blood and guts there, good money and she loves her job. She works primarily in the OB/Gyn sector. X-rays are a different story, many accident victims are plenty bloody.
Yeah it definitely depends on the setting. An outpatient imaging center is a different beast than an ER, if you're a rad tech

Old 01-03-2011, 07:46 AM

3,252 posts, read 4,083,124 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
Ken, You say so much with so few words..... great post!!

Very true, but I also have skills that will pay me more than $8 hour. With that said, if I lost my job and for some reason the only thing I could find is an $8/ hour job you can bet I would have 2 jobs.

I have heard of people that were making good money at a company they have worked at for years. They got laid off and were unable to land anything that pays more than $8/hour. That sucks and I do feel for those people.

Perhaps, those that are making $20+/hour flipping burgers in other states may want to think twice before heading to FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida