Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 02:14 PM

535 posts, read 1,407,466 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I'm writing this because I'm very concerned about Florida salaries. I have a 2 year degree and work exprience in retail and office and all employers can offer is $8 an hour in Orlando and $7.25 in Miami... These salaries are ridiculous, I can't survive on that, thank God I don't have children. What do you think about this situation? I've been applying to offices, retail stores and anything I can qualify for...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 02:23 PM

30,873 posts, read 36,822,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina1686 View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm writing this because I'm very concerned about Florida salaries. I have a 2 year degree and work exprience in retail and office and all employers can offer is $8 an hour in Orlando and $7.25 in Miami... These salaries are ridiculous, I can't survive on that, thank God I don't have children. What do you think about this situation? I've been applying to offices, retail stores and anything I can qualify for...
Well, if employers can get away with paying that little, it means there are plently of qualified people to fill those jobs at that wage.

Sounds like it's time to get some a skill set for a job that pays more than that. It s*cks, I know. But working for $8 an hour is even worse.

Old 12-23-2010, 02:35 PM

8,488 posts, read 20,582,660 times
If you work retail in jobs that they can train teenagers to do in one day you are probably looking at $8 an hour. If you have marketable skills, no you will not have to work for $8 an hour but the job market is bad at this time so depending on what you are looking for it could take a while to find it.
What is your degree in?

Old 12-23-2010, 02:37 PM

362 posts, read 773,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina1686 View Post
Hello everyone,

well, it IS your fault that you decided to work in Retail knowing damn well what the salaries are

Old 12-23-2010, 02:42 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,561,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPC2000 View Post
well, it IS your fault that you decided to work in Retail knowing damn well what the salaries are
I started at $9...six years ago.

They're probably starting higher now

Old 12-23-2010, 07:31 PM

535 posts, read 1,407,466 times
I worked on retail from 2005-2009 and in 2010 I worked in an office where I was laid off... I've been trying to find a job in a bank, sales, retail and offices, but everybody pays the same crap... My AA is in general studies and I have some Bachelor's education too, but I dropped out becuase I cannot find a job to pay my school.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:00 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,886,015 times
Start looking for a server or bartender job as they're probably earning $300 plus a week working 20 hours a week while you're working 40 hours to make the same.Then go and look for another career choice that'll get you some real money.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:06 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,556,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPC2000 View Post
If you bothered to read her post she is saying that office work is also paying $8 an hour. FL salaries are very low and do not match the COL or the myth that FL is a cheap place to live.

I know people who do temp work in other states and are getting $12 to $16 an hour for basic clerical work or data entry. And the COL is equivalent or little higher than here.

FL unemployment also maxes out at $275 a week which is one of the lowest paying in the nation.

Old 12-24-2010, 04:56 AM

8,488 posts, read 20,582,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
If you bothered to read her post she is saying that office work is also paying $8 an hour. FL salaries are very low and do not match the COL or the myth that FL is a cheap place to live.

I know people who do temp work in other states and are getting $12 to $16 an hour for basic clerical work or data entry. And the COL is equivalent or little higher than here.

FL unemployment also maxes out at $275 a week which is one of the lowest paying in the nation.
Always subjective opinion with no actual facts.

I know people in Hernando County making $12 an hours for wiping down tables and the COL here is lower than most other areas.

My statement while true does not really help anyone just as your statement about friends elsewhere making $12 an hour.

Florida's median income comparative to the cost of living is very competitive with other areas due to the lack of state and city income tax, much lower property tax and mortgage costs than many higher wage states.

FL unemployment of $275 will go just as far if not further than NJ's $521 or CT's $540 when you are paying $1000 a month rent opposed to $2000.

Old 12-24-2010, 07:41 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,260,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
If you work retail in jobs that they can train teenagers to do in one day you are probably looking at $8 an hour. If you have marketable skills, no you will not have to work for $8 an hour but the job market is bad at this time so depending on what you are looking for it could take a while to find it.
What is your degree in?
"You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Mike Peterson again"

A-friggin-men
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida