U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In your opinion, what is THE WORST city in Florida for young professionals??
Miami 17 45.95%
Orlando 5 13.51%
Tampa 1 2.70%
Jacksonville 0 0%
Fort Lauderdale 1 2.70%
Fort Myers 10 27.03%
Other (state below) 3 8.11%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 02:50 AM

1,497 posts, read 4,446,624 times

Advertisements

The bottom 10 cities were brought down by a variety of causes. Salary to cost of living submarined Miami, Norfolk, Va., and San Antonio. The inability to attract top grads and top companies hurt Detroit and Las Vegas, and all our measurements converged on Tampa, Fla., beating it down to last place on our list.

Here is the full article:

Best Cities For Young Professionals - Yahoo! Real Estate (http://promo.realestate.yahoo.com/Best_Cities_For_Young_Professionals.html - broken link)

Sound off: IS ANYONE SURPRISED THAT TAMPA AND MIAMI ARE HORRIBLE FOR YOUNG PROFESSIONALS??

SHOULD ORLANDO BE ON THAT LIST??

WHY???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 03:05 AM

911 posts, read 3,249,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
The bottom 10 cities were brought down by a variety of causes. Salary to cost of living submarined Miami, Norfolk, Va., and San Antonio. The inability to attract top grads and top companies hurt Detroit and Las Vegas, and all our measurements converged on Tampa, Fla., beating it down to last place on our list.

Here is the full article:

Best Cities For Young Professionals - Yahoo! Real Estate (http://promo.realestate.yahoo.com/Best_Cities_For_Young_Professionals.html - broken link)

Sound off: IS ANYONE SURPRISED THAT TAMPA AND MIAMI ARE HORRIBLE FOR YOUNG PROFESSIONALS??

SHOULD ORLANDO BE ON THAT LIST??

WHY???
Tell me about it, lol...

Old 07-14-2007, 03:21 AM

6,616 posts, read 10,675,825 times
No surprise about Miami and Tampa.

A great city for young professionals should be one where high profile jobs are plentiful, the individual gains top-notch experience in the cutting edge of his field, and earnings are enough to both enjoy oneself and to save, perhaps to invest in real estate or other.

I imagine Miami and Tampa score relatively poorly according to that criteria. Despite the rhetoric and the stated desires of some policymakers in the state, the Florida economy is hardly deep and diversified so the professional experience is relatively limited (tourism and retirement services are not exactly top notch careers), salaries are not competitive compared to such cities as NY, Boston, SF, and buy prices for houses are way out of proportion with typical incomes.

Therefore, besides favorable temperatures and climate, Florida (Miami and Tampa are its leading cities) does not offer the best career and life prospects to the brightest and most ambitious young people. That doesn't mean that none come, but, as evidenced in the survey, Florida is relatively behind, or at least falls short of what it could well achieve, and with the 2004-2005 real estate bubble, the state certainly did cut itself short in the competitiveness rankings, as also evidenced by the recent CNBC poll on the most business-friendly states where Florida failed to score among the top five.

Now, as for other cities in Florida, take the above criteria and figure where they fit in: can a young person land a cutting-edge job in a cutting-edge field and earn enough to both enjoy himself and invest money to build future wealth? This doesn't mean that the answer is no across the board, but it probably does mean that there is not an abundance of such opportunities in the cities of Florida as compared to the cities of other states around the country.

Old 07-14-2007, 08:29 AM

8,376 posts, read 27,785,288 times
Orlando was actually on one of the TOP cities for young professionals. No kidding, our economy sucks. Look it up. IT was in a different report. I will link later.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 07-14-2007 at 08:54 AM..

Old 07-14-2007, 10:32 AM

564 posts, read 1,732,716 times
I picked Ft. Myers because it is the smallest city and probably has less points of interest for a "young professional". Miami would be a close second because of the incredibly high cost of living at the moment.

Of the list, I would pick Orlando and Ft. Lauderdale at the top of the list for Florida cities for young professionals.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eufo View Post
I picked Ft. Myers because it is the smallest city and probably has less points of interest for a "young professional". Miami would be a close second because of the incredibly high cost of living at the moment.

Of the list, I would pick Orlando and Ft. Lauderdale at the top of the list for Florida cities for young professionals.
Orlando is actually somewhere on the upper middle end of the full list, but I need to find it. I just looked at it on a different site last night. Fort Lauderdale has the same cost vs economy issues as Miami, I am surprised it was not on the bottom 10. Its great if you bring money here (unlike Miami), but not to make money.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:39 AM

564 posts, read 1,732,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
Fort Lauderdale has the same cost vs economy issues as Miami, I am surprised it was not on the bottom 10. Its great if you bring money here (unlike Miami), but not to make money.
Yeah, but Ft. Lauderdale is just a very fun place to live when you're younger. There is always something going on in the tri-county area and Ft. Lauderdale is definitely cheaper than Miami in terms of what you get for your money.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eufo View Post
Yeah, but Ft. Lauderdale is just a very fun place to live when you're younger. There is always something going on in the tri-county area and Ft. Lauderdale is definitely cheaper than Miami in terms of what you get for your money.
Like I said, its great to BRING money to, or you get a good job offer here .

Old 07-17-2007, 02:47 PM

172 posts, read 783,658 times
fort myers without a shadow of a doubt off of the florida list.

they pay less than all the cities listed above and the cost of living is either the same and if its less its not by much.

the areas jobs are mostly service and retail oriented so professional opportunities are very far and few in between.

the area is traditionally a retirement city so there isnt too much in the way of attractions and entertainment for the young professional demographic.
(think bingo halls, early bird specials and strip malls)

the areas saving grace was its low cost of living. someone could afford to live on the low salaries the industries here paid.

that mightve been the case 7 years back but definitely not anymore.

Old 07-17-2007, 02:59 PM

2,209 posts, read 6,914,219 times
One would have to be either a real loser to not make it in Fla who would not make it anywhere else, or someone who simply isn't trying.

To rely on a geographic area in order to earn a living is pretty sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or