U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 08:14 AM

9 posts, read 30,314 times

Advertisements

I'm hearing a lot of negatives about relocating to Florida. Is there anything positive about it? We're looking for a safe, reasonable place to live (isn't everyone) Any suggestions anyone???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 08:28 AM

8,376 posts, read 27,787,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulley View Post
I'm hearing a lot of negatives about relocating to Florida. Is there anything positive about it? We're looking for a safe, reasonable place to live (isn't everyone) Any suggestions anyone???
Well, my area is hardly reasonable, but I actually have very few complaints about my area. Zero crime (seriously, not a single reported crime in here or around me since I have lived here!),pretty good schools, low levels of traffic congestion, quiet, close to the city amenities, tropical aura, diverse and well educated populace, and, well, you pay for all of this. Lol. And the job market is quite weak.

Last edited by scirocco22; 07-29-2007 at 02:32 PM.. Reason: poster requested edit

Old 07-14-2007, 08:33 AM

2,141 posts, read 6,348,015 times
Florida is a great place to live. If your from NY, NJ, CA, or the Boston areas now is the time to move here. Why stay in the cold ?

Old 07-14-2007, 08:59 AM

2,267 posts, read 2,531,536 times
Houses are not selling here at the moment...its a buyers market.

I love where I live, its halfway in between Daytona and Orlando. Its green year around, the weather is wonderful. When your friends are shoveling out the snow in December, you will still have shorts on with the windows open letting in the nice breeze...in the distance you will hear the sounds of children playing AND the sound of the ice cream man.

Just the other day my daughter up and decided she was going to the beach that day with a friend...its about 45 minutes away from us.

Old 07-14-2007, 11:43 AM

8 posts, read 77,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulley View Post
This all depends on what your used to and what your looking for. As far as reasonable prices,you better stay to the northern part of the state. As far as safe,well it isn't as bad as some people may portray on this forum. Like anywhere,you have your good areas and bad areas in every city. Personally,if I could afford it I would move north,but that's because the older I get, the more I can't take the unbearable heat 9 months out of the year down here in S.Fl..Also,the pay scale down here just isn't as high as it should be,unless your a lawyer,doctor or CEO.

Old 07-14-2007, 12:17 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,404,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
Well, my area is hardly reasonable, but I actually have very few complaints about my area. Zero crime (seriously, not a single reported crime in here or around me since I have lived here!),pretty good schools, low levels of traffic congestion, quiet, close to the city amenities, tropical aura, diverse and well educated populace, and, well, you pay for all of this. Lol. And the job market is quite weak. I am in the Weston area, by the way. If you want to know more just reply .
With all due respect, Weston is one of the top places to live in south Florida but according to figures by Money Magazine you had 3105 incidences of crime in Weston in 2006. No one has zero crime, you even have a few registered sex offenders living there.

Old 07-14-2007, 12:42 PM

6,618 posts, read 10,677,850 times
Most of the negativity about Florida is related to the hyper-inflation in structural costs since the 2004-2005 period, induced by the credit/real estate bubble and the hurricanes (i.e. house buy prices and homeowners insurance).

This debacle has been a palpable drag on the state's economic competitiveness.

If you are a cash-laden retiree from the northeast, for example, you should not be significantly affected by these issues. If, however, you are on a budget, or you plan on forming and expanding a business, Florida's appeal has been significantly compromised over the past few years, and you have to make your comparative calculations very carefully.

The safety issue has already been addressed.

What do you mean by "reasonable"? Cost of living, quality of life, amenities for retirees, job market, quality of education, quality of health care, competitiveness for a small, productive business, opportunities for loan sharks, some combination of the above, what?

Old 07-14-2007, 01:02 PM

6,853 posts, read 19,807,999 times
Quote:
Well, my area is hardly reasonable, but I actually have very few complaints about my area. Zero crime (seriously, not a single reported crime in here or around me since I have lived here!),pretty good schools, low levels of traffic congestion, quiet, close to the city amenities, tropical aura, diverse and well educated populace, and, well, you pay for all of this. Lol. And the job market is quite weak. I am in the Weston area, by the way. If you want to know more just reply .
Yah, you may have a lower crime rate in your area but it is because Weston is so far west, next to the Everglades. The criminals don't want to drive that far.

Old 07-14-2007, 02:36 PM

8,376 posts, read 27,787,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Yah, you may have a lower crime rate in your area but it is because Weston is so far west, next to the Everglades. The criminals don't want to drive that far.
Oh come on, Davie, Cooper City, Plantation, Sunrise all my surrounding communities have low crime rates ! Then again, the low-intelligence petty thieves from Dade seem to love the Sawgrass Mills, where the effective Sunrise police force takes care of them .

Last edited by scirocco22; 07-29-2007 at 02:33 PM.. Reason: poster requested edit

Old 07-14-2007, 02:54 PM

6,853 posts, read 19,807,999 times
Quote:
Oh come on, Davie, Cooper City, Plantation, Sunrise all my surrounding communities have low crime rates
Those cities are far west too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or