Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 05:08 PM

698 posts, read 3,255,917 times

Advertisements

I lived in Florida for fifteen years and I could tell the different seasons.They're not as prominent,but are noticable-especially the fall around October and November.I dearly loved all the seasons, but especially the winters.Heat doesn't bother me as bad as cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 05:11 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,092,754 times
We enjoy all the seasons, but prefer the fall and spring. Is perfect up here in the panhandle.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:35 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,651,377 times
It has been about 1.5 weeks since I closed the windows and turned on the air conditioner. Every time I go outside I realize how brutal Florida really is. The sweltering heat and lack of sleep caused me to lose muscle and gain fat. Waist went from 36 to 39, this is horrible. With all the stress of code inspectors, property tax issues, business , and the wonderful drivers of South Florida, life is not pleasant. I hate "sweat season". When you can go outside and walk one mile without sweating, that begins the good weather. The great Florida weather goes from about November-December to March-April. The rest of the year is mostly awful. As for hurricanes, I have grown to enjoy them. Nothing is as exciting as preparing for a hurricane that 90% of the time never comes. When it does it's a rare treat. With chainsaws and the Bobcat and the wood powered generator, a hurricane's aftermath can actually be more interesting than regular work. Yes it's hot everywhere in the summer, but Florida is consistently punishing. You can bundle up for the cold, but what reliefe can you get when it's 90/90?

Old 08-22-2007, 08:42 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,884,466 times
Summer is just down right HOT. Winter is nice but thats when all the snow birds come down. I would have to say winter by far.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:09 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,187,132 times
it's nice from oct - april. may gets pretty warm, but not too bad. june-mid sept are hot as heck. that's my 2 cents.

so basically it's nice about 8 months out of the yr.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:53 PM

266 posts, read 1,157,642 times
Summer - HATE summer! We had a great spring this year, then summer hit with a vengence!

Old 08-23-2007, 12:55 PM

45 posts, read 177,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird42 View Post
Gotta tell ya, the summer's here are the worst, heat, huminity, heat indexs of 101/102 totally kill me, going out into the sun for more than 20 mins. I can't breathe, my eyes kill me from the glare and I get sick, so no alternative but to stay in the house with a/c and pay the price with my electric bill.

I also miss fall leaves falling, going pumkin picking, getting a bushel of apples
and watching kids jump in big piles of leaves. I miss that first dusting of snow that falls, I miss hearing kids laugh as they throw snowballs at each other.

The first year I was here and I cooked Thanksgiving Dinner in shorts and the a/c on I thought it was strange, now some 20+ dinners later, they are just another day in Fl. no different, nothing new to expect, the same ole, same ole
Amen...my sentiments exactly. It's funny all of the things I never thought I would miss I do!!

Old 08-23-2007, 01:13 PM

458 posts, read 593,461 times
It is all about trade offs. People may miss leaves, etc but how about...

1. Ice storms taking out power?

2. Gray skies for 3 solid months?

3. Shoveling snow

4. Dry, cracked skin, sore noses, sore throats?

5. Huge potholes due to freeze, thaw?

6. Cleaning ice and snow off the car to go to work?

7. Kids bouncing off the walls stuck inside when it is brutally cold?

8. Black ice all over the pavements?

9. Doing laundry of winter clothes, twice the number of loads as in the summer?

10. Everyone looking pale and sickly?

11. Flu season which spreads very quickly as people are inside tons more?

Florida has its issues during the summer, but I'll take that trade off any day.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:21 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,477,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKing View Post
It is all about trade offs. People may miss leaves, etc but how about...

1. Ice storms taking out power?

2. Gray skies for 3 solid months?

3. Shoveling snow

4. Dry, cracked skin, sore noses, sore throats?

5. Huge potholes due to freeze, thaw?

6. Cleaning ice and snow off the car to go to work?

7. Kids bouncing off the walls stuck inside when it is brutally cold?

8. Black ice all over the pavements?

9. Doing laundry of winter clothes, twice the number of loads as in the summer?

10. Everyone looking pale and sickly?

11. Flu season which spreads very quickly as people are inside tons more?

Florida has its issues during the summer, but I'll take that trade off any day.

1. Hurricanes taking out power [ice storms hit but they don't hit the same area every winter & sometimes don't hit at all; just like hurricanes. ]
2. Relentess sun & heat for "3" straight months which here is June through October
3. Cleaning up love bugs for 30 straight days; twice a year
4. Sunburn, heat rash & sweating
5. Tourists driving 5 mph b/c they see the "OCEAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" or some retirees driving...at all...
6. Cleaning off lovebugs smeared on cars & not really being able to clean your car b/c the living ones are swarming all around you
7. Kids bouncing off the walls b/c there is a heat index of 101 or 102 or 104 for days on end [not everyone has a pool nor are their children old enough to go swimming for hours on end]
8. Fire ants every 5 feet in crab grass, which is fake grass
9. Changing clothes after being outside for 15 mins due to sweat
10. Everyone's skin looking a deep shade of leather & wrinkly
11. Being forced to take your child to a play area in the mall b/c it is too hot outside & having them subjected to germs from the lovelies that congregate SWFL

Yeah, FL does have its issues in the summer

Old 08-25-2007, 09:34 AM
kcm

68 posts, read 248,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoaster View Post
Hurricane Season!

Other than that, I love our general lack of seasons. Can't stand the shorter days up north in winter, barren trees, frozen ground - gives me the willies. Love sun, sun, sun and wonderful green growing things year-round.
Me too..............exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida