U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 06:47 PM

3,772 posts, read 9,545,363 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering if the State of Florida's tourism industry would survive without Disney World. Could they have kept the original tourist spots(Six Gun Territory,Marineland,Silver Springs,Busch Gardens etc.) and the tourism industry stayed afloat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 07:02 PM

9,324 posts, read 23,794,610 times
It thrived before that corporate megalopolis. More fun tourist traps, if Disney disappeared I would not mind!

Old 07-14-2007, 07:23 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,669,139 times
Wink Have to disagree

Disney is the number 1 tourist attraction in the world. Thousands of families travel to Florida yearly with their tourist dollars that go directly into the state economy. There is a reason that Florida does not have a state income tax, and the Disney contribution is significant enough to offset many governmental costs. For all of the headaches that Disney might cause some Floridians, I am reasonably certain that most state economies would love to have your "problems".

Old 07-14-2007, 07:45 PM

66 posts, read 176,994 times
Thank you Disney for the tax reduction! I have been a few times in my many years living in South Florida but now it's so crowded that I prefer to do other sites with nature as the main attractions.
I must say that I am stumped for a second home and can't think of a place better than South Florida - because - all the other places are either burning hot or under water lately. Even New England seems like it also has been flooding for the last couple of years except this year.
Florida has been having some problems lately but I have faith that this beautiful place will make a BIG comeback soon. We have an innovative new Governor and he will do well for his great state. COME ON DOWN TO FLORIDAS' COAST TO COOL OFF. . . . .

Old 07-14-2007, 09:32 PM

8,204 posts, read 32,210,176 times
Thumbs up Mickey brings the Money

St. Augustine was one of the locations considered for Disney, but the city of St. Aug turned Disney down.

St. Augustine has survived nicely without Disney, and I think it was the right choice, but I'm glad Disney is in Florida (though I'll admit, I would not want to live closer to it than I am now) .

Old 07-14-2007, 10:29 PM

14,505 posts, read 23,769,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
It thrived before that corporate megalopolis. More fun tourist traps, if Disney disappeared I would not mind!

I agree. I like the natural beauty of Navarre or Amelia Island.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:36 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,402,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
St. Augustine was one of the locations considered for Disney, but the city of St. Aug turned Disney down.

St. Augustine has survived nicely without Disney, and I think it was the right choice, but I'm glad Disney is in Florida (though I'll admit, I would not want to live closer to it than I am now) .
Although the panhandle and even the Keys were considered, most all other stories were just red herrings as Disney bought up the land they needed with the secrecy of the Manhattan Project.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:41 PM

46 posts, read 224,721 times
Florida still has Miami including South Beach/Lincoln Road, Port of Miami, the keys, and all the resorts and ****.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:45 PM

8,204 posts, read 32,210,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
Although the panhandle and even the Keys were considered, most all other stories were just red herrings as Disney bought up the land they needed with the secrecy of the Manhattan Project.
Yeah, I've heard that too about the St. Augustine possibility, but my understanding was that St. Aug wanted no part of it anyway.

I think Disney ended up in the right location - it is a draw into the center of the state where there might not have been much else of a draw, and the fact that it brings an international draw into the center of the state is quite a feat.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:46 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,402,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
I was just wondering if the State of Florida's tourism industry would survive without Disney World. Could they have kept the original tourist spots(Six Gun Territory,Marineland,Silver Springs,Busch Gardens etc.) and the tourism industry stayed afloat.
Disney is here but it is like the fork in the road, you never know what might have been if the other road was taken. If Disney had never come perhaps something different and far better would have happened, you just don't know. Disney it's self is a joke. It is the most over hyped thing on the planet. It is nothing more then a bunch of childish rides and rip off hotels and restaurants with the worlds greatest marketing machine. I honestly can't believe anyone goes there with all Florida has to offer. Who wants to spend your day walking around that place with their hand in your pocket the whole time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or