Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 11:54 AM

16 posts, read 39,255 times

Advertisements

we are looking to leave ny and head to florida-
what is the best areas for construction? my husband builds homes, renovations and so on- everything from start to finish- he wants to have a job lined up b4 we move then get his business up and going there- he doesnt mind driving 45 mins or so in each direction- we are thinking of sugarmill woods area- any one have any job or location advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 12:28 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,017,224 times
Construction is dead here. We were overbuilt during the boom, and builders are still trying to sell off existing inventory. Look elsewhere.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:34 PM

187 posts, read 541,342 times
I'm sorry, I do not know much about other parts of the state, but if you're looking for construction I would say to not even consider the South Florida area. There is just nothing left to build here. Tons of empty condos and still new ones being built but until people start moving in there's no construction jobs. I'm afraid annerk might be right though, Florida is not exactly the best place to find work in your husbands field. Maybe try considering another state with similar climate/people? If that's your reason for moving here in the first place.

I'm sure if you do decide to move here, something will come up, I just can't really see him finder better or even the same work here than in NY.

Good luck to you and your family.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:50 PM

ty- isnt there remoldeling or renovations going on still?

Old 01-04-2011, 05:01 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,017,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timsheart View Post
ty- isnt there remoldeling or renovations going on still?
With a +12% unemployment rate, the last thing people are spending money on are renovations.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:15 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,820,455 times
Things are better up in the Panhandle because we never got the excessive overbuilding the Peninsula did. (And we actually did do a fair amount of remodeling in 2010). But still not a place where I'd recommend looking for a construction job- there are a lot of local construction workers who ended up taking other jobs when construction starts fell, and who have been the first people to get called in 'from the bench' when general contractors started getting jobs again. And plenty more still waiting to return to that field that the GCs know are reliable.

And speaking of GCs, it's not easy to get state licensed to run your own business. Doubly so in some specialties like roofing, and Florida doesn't really have reciprocal agreements to accept out of state licenses in those specialties because building code is different down here.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:46 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,911,110 times
In SW Florida there are many investors buying up the foreclosures, fixing them up and reselling them. Most of the former builders are turning toward redoing these homes.

Like everyone else pointed out, the unemployment rate is very high right now so I would make sure you have something you can count on before moving.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:54 PM

well now i am a bit disturbed lol
in NY employment is horrible and building has stopped as well but my husband has not lost one day of work here. i guess we will have to have his job security before we attempt a move.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:14 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,389,796 times
timsheart, if you can hold off for a while, it might be best. Give it a year or two, save up some money so you'll be in a better position when you make the move no matter what happens.

If you DO make the leap, see if you can get a job lined up before moving down. It's hard for construction and tradesmen right now. Though lord knows I'd give anything to deal with a competent contractor for a change!!

Old 01-04-2011, 07:15 PM

3,417 posts, read 7,784,673 times
Scratch SW Florida off your list also.

My neighbor is in construction and he just came back from Boston-he was there for three months-because there is no work here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida