Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 03:06 PM

10,232 posts, read 6,319,495 times

Advertisements

[quote=chopchop0;22579047]It's funny to see all the northeasterners out in full force defending their high-priced school systems[/quo

NE AND Florida schools, you won't find me defending Florida schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 03:32 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
More mis-information lacking any backing or source reference. Otherwords, typical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You can Google the information, FL is listed along with 9 other states that make up the 10 lowest salaries for teachers in the nation.

Other states included are Mississippi and South Dakota.

And FL is not a cheap place to live, that's no longer true.

While purchasing a house is cheaper than many other states, homeowner's insurance is very expensive. Car insurance is not cheap here, groceries are higher here than many other states.

The problem with FL is the salaries have always lagged behind most of the nation while the COL is catching up with other states.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:16 PM

Once someone has an idea in their head, no amount of factual information is going to change their opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Even that link gives a pretty decent figure for FL teachers:

Average Salary 2010/2011: $46,702

That's middle of the pack compared to all 50 states.

These are the states from my link where teachers make LESS than they do in FL:

Old 01-17-2012, 04:24 PM

Must be old outdated and inaccurate info....

Teacher Salaries By State | Average Salaries For Teachers | Beginning Salaries For Teachers | Teacher Raises | TeacherPortal.com

Lowest Beginning Teacher Pay - Ten States With the Lowest Beginning Teacher Pay

And once you take in the cost of living in various states you will find that FL
salaries aren't as low as you seem to believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
And FL teachers are among the lowest paid in the nation, coming in at #46 out of the 50 states.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:34 PM

10,232 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Default If you think making $55,000 a year for 20 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Must be old outdated and inaccurate info....

Teacher Salaries By State | Average Salaries For Teachers | Beginning Salaries For Teachers | Teacher Raises | TeacherPortal.com

Lowest Beginning Teacher Pay - Ten States With the Lowest Beginning Teacher Pay

And once you take in the cost of living in various states you will find that FL
salaries aren't as low as you seem to believe.

with a Masters Degree in Education is a LOT of money, even in Florida, wanna buy a bridge? My son-in-law has been teaching with no Masters for 6 years and makes $15,000 more than that. Cost of Living? In NAPLES? I paid $10,000 more for my 2 bedroom in Naples than he did for his 4 bedroom on LI. Ok, Ok, my taxes are a whopping $2,000 a year less than his. Whoopee!!!!!

Try again, with blanket statements that Florida is cheaper.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:02 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
[quote=Jo48;22586814]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
It's funny to see all the northeasterners out in full force defending their high-priced school systems[/quo

NE AND Florida schools, you won't find me defending Florida schools.
Yeah, but plenty of people are justifying why their states like NJ and NY are worth having the highest per-pupil spending rates in the country.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:28 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
You didn't, or had children, who attened NY public in the time period you stated. I did, and worked in both your precious Florida schools, and NY. Sorry, guy, I have more firsthand experience in BOTH than you.
Once again, I posted a link to a report by The U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services. You on the other hand would like people to take your word for it over that report.
Whether or not you think you have more first hand experience, I happen to have a verifiable source. That trumps your first hand experience for which there is no verification.
Sorry.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:41 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
If you think making $55,000 a year for 20 years with a Masters Degree in Education is a LOT of money, even in Florida, wanna buy a bridge? My son-in-law has been teaching with no Masters for 6 years and makes $15,000 more than that. Cost of Living? In NAPLES? I paid $10,000 more for my 2 bedroom in Naples than he did for his 4 bedroom on LI. Ok, Ok, my taxes are a whopping $2,000 a year less than his. Whoopee!!!!!

And this is why your posts lack credibility. Here is something from your previous account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
EVERY teacher needs a Master's degree no matter what degree they have. My daughter is a teacher in NYC. Her husband is a Science teacher, so I think he knows. I called and just spoke to both of them.

In my daughter's exact words: "The reason why that site doesn't list a Master's degree is because teachers have 5 years to get a Master's degree if they're straight out of college. That site is just based on what you need when you're first hired. Then you have the 5 years to get your Masters."
How could he still be teaching without a masters?
I won't bother with the rest of your post as you never post anything that can be verified.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:01 AM

Nice to here about your son in law.
You must have bought some house there in Naples. Last time I saw homes for sale in LI (nassau county) they were running 300k and up, way up.

Two friends of mine in LI tell me the MONTHLY tax bill is about $1k. Thats 12k a year. I pay about $650 a YEAR here. Are you paying $10k a year in taxes in Naples?

Now, what did you say about Florida not being cheaper?

Quote:
with a Masters Degree in Education is a LOT of money, even in Florida, wanna buy a bridge? My son-in-law has been teaching with no Masters for 6 years and makes $15,000 more than that. Cost of Living? In NAPLES? I paid $10,000 more for my 2 bedroom in Naples than he did for his 4 bedroom on LI. Ok, Ok, my taxes are a whopping $2,000 a year less than his. Whoopee!!!!!

Old 01-18-2012, 08:03 AM

The credibility of that poster is about zero. Outrageous statements with nothing to back it up. Hollow rants from a unhappy resident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
And this is why your posts lack credibility. Here is something from your previous account.

How could he still be teaching without a masters?
I won't bother with the rest of your post as you never post anything that can be verified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida