Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 09:47 PM

12 posts, read 46,500 times

Advertisements

I want to move to florida, I have only been once before and I do not remember it. I am from arizona, and def chose heat over cold. I have been in Washington a lot so i know humidity. I know its nothing close to florida but im sure i can adapt. I am going to be 21 when i move there so night life is important. I want to be close to the beach but nothing too too expensive. I am a server at dennys so i was hoping to transfer or just apply at others since they are every where.I am a single college student studying radiology, But online hasn't really helped me learn about schools. I have also read about people being cold or not so social in Florida. I am from a friendly small town in Arizona where everyone still waves and knows everybodys business, but i also lived in Washington and went to school out there and had only a few friends. hardly anyone said hi or anything. i doubt FL is as bad as there... So i was wondering where would be a good location to go.

Last edited by jakfreedom807; 01-11-2011 at 10:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 10:01 PM

535 posts, read 1,410,558 times
Do not move to florida!! A denny's server job won't pay your rent

Old 01-11-2011, 10:15 PM

Thats just temp, Radiologist make some of the best money in Florida! I just need to get through school and you would be surprised how much we dennys servers make a day

Old 01-11-2011, 10:32 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,943,179 times
Don't listen to that nonsense, serving can and does pay rent down here. If you stick with smaller towns, the rent might even be lower than you'd imagine. If you move to a larger city, your Denny's experience could get you into a place with a higher check average where you do less running and slinging. Good luck, any specific questions ask.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:39 PM

Thats what I was thinking because serving makes better money then people would expect, and start off at dennys then move on to a nicer more popular place. what areas would u recommend

Old 01-11-2011, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakfreedom807 View Post
Thats what I was thinking because serving makes better money then people would expect... what areas would u recommend
Well it all depends on what you are looking for. I served for years at Red Lobster near DT Orlando and made on average between $60-80 for a lunch and between $80-130 for a dinner. Many times on a double or BD I would walk with nearly $200. Weeks averaged out around $500-600 and you know that a server's week can be a lot shorter than most people's.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:48 PM

yeah thats for sure. im looking for somewhere to finish college, be less then an hour away from the ocean to five min away, where there are people my age.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:25 PM

Quote:
yeah thats for sure. im looking for somewhere to finish college, be less then an hour away from the ocean to five min away, where there are people my age.
UCF is on the eastern edge of metro Orlando. Cocoa Beach (home to surfing champion Kelly Slater) is about 40 minutes away which is no big deal if you plan to go to the beach for a day, or just randomly drop by. It actually can take longer to drive to the other side of metro Orlando than to the beach from UCF. Not to mention UCF is an incredible campus full of residents, entertainment, shopping, eating, bars, etc, and that's just on-campus. East Orlando is also home to the trendy film school, Full Sail, Valencia Community College, and a few other smaller college campuses so I'm sure people your age will be in high supply.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:40 AM

64 posts, read 205,036 times
Quote:
I want to move to florida, I have only been once before and I do not remember it. I am from arizona, and def chose heat over cold. I have been in Washington a lot so i know humidity. I know its nothing close to florida but im sure i can adapt. I am going to be 21 when i move there so night life is important. I want to be close to the beach but nothing too too expensive. I am a server at dennys so i was hoping to transfer or just apply at others since they are every where.I am a single college student studying radiology, But online hasn't really helped me learn about schools. I have also read about people being cold or not so social in Florida. I am from a friendly small town in Arizona where everyone still waves and knows everybodys business, but i also lived in Washington and went to school out there and had only a few friends. hardly anyone said hi or anything. i doubt FL is as bad as there... So i was wondering where would be a good location to go.
If you want a friendly small town then you could move to Labelle,where everyone is friendly.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:58 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
I'd recommend looking at St Petersburg. It's an affordable place to live and you'd be within minutes of the beaches. St Petersburg College (a two year state college) has an excellent Radiologic Technology program. Good luck!

St. Petersburg, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
HEC - Radiography Program
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida