U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 02:53 PM

36 posts, read 43,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Is it the Waltons' responsibility to provide entry level jobs that don't require any education and that pay $30+/hour? The entitlement mentality in this country is just amazing. Move to Greece and see where that will lead you.

Sorry, but if you want a high paying job, you aren't going to get one without an education in something useful like health, engineering, law or some type of vocational training
This is not about responsibility. This is about making the best choices for the long run

Walmart is not only about low wages. They drive away competition and in vase you haven't heard they are even involved in bribery so it's obvious they don't care to play dirty or if this country goes down the drain as tbey are expanding their international stores

I don't have time now to continue, but I will be back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 03:55 PM

7,648 posts, read 16,033,018 times
Quote:
Is it the Waltons' responsibility to provide entry level jobs that don't require any education and that pay $30+/hour? The entitlement mentality in this country is just amazing. Move to Greece and see where that will lead you.
Wanting a job that will enable you to provide a safe, sanitary and secure living environment isn't entitlement. And plenty of retail chains do try to increase wages for front line employees when they can. Hobby Lobby pays at least $12/hour for full time workers, which is pretty good for retail. They've had a couple really good years, and their CEO has said he felt like it was the Christian thing to do since their success comes from those employees.

But Walmart pushes down wages across their category as other stores try to compete.

Old 08-12-2012, 05:30 PM

10,576 posts, read 10,798,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
But Walmart pushes down wages across their category as other stores try to compete.
The other poster would disagree with you. In fact most people I've talked to say that Walmart pays the same or better than standard entry-level retail wages (think Target, Staples etc.). People just love to hate on Walmart because it's the biggest of the bunch, and somehow think other retail is doing just fine. By the way, any mom and pop businesses that get run out by walmart probably deserve it. If you are involved in specialty retail and provide unique goods and services, there really is no issue with walmart

Old 08-12-2012, 06:10 PM

7,648 posts, read 16,033,018 times
I know insiders in the business and they definitely had to cut benefits for everyone and cut wages for new employees when Walmart muscled their way into the region. And they own a very large (though Midwestern regional) chain of superstores.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:32 PM

22,553 posts, read 47,241,467 times
I've worked retail and Walmart is the lowest in the business.

Further, and more importantly, Walmart plays hardball with manufacturers. They pressure them to make their goods at the lowest prices and keep pushing the price down year after year. Eventually, these American manufacturers have to go overseas. And then when they close their doors, the people that worked in these factories ironically often end up working at Walmart for far less than they made at the factory they worked at for years.

Walmart did not start the movement to close factories and set up shop elsewhere. However, they are the ones that really, really forced the hand of tons of factories.

The "Walmart Effect" is a fascinating book that takes a neutral look at the issue. It follows a manufacturer of lawn sprinklers and also Snap-On lawnmowers. They will blackball companies that don't play along. It also describes how cheap salmon, farmed in filthy conditions became the norm due to them.

I haven't seen this movie yet, but it looks good. It is on You Tube in its entirety.

Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Living - Trailer - YouTube

Old 08-12-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I've worked retail and Walmart is the lowest in the business.

Further, and more importantly, Walmart plays hardball with manufacturers. They pressure them to make their goods at the lowest prices and keep pushing the price down year after year. Eventually, these American manufacturers have to go overseas. And then when they close their doors, the people that worked in these factories ironically often end up working at Walmart for far less than they made at the factory they worked at for years.

Walmart did not start the movement to close factories and set up shop elsewhere. However, they are the ones that really, really forced the hand of tons of factories.

The "Walmart Effect" is a fascinating book that takes a neutral look at the issue. It follows a manufacturer of lawn sprinklers and also Snap-On lawnmowers. They will blackball companies that don't play along. It also describes how cheap salmon, farmed in filthy conditions became the norm due to them.

I haven't seen this movie yet, but it looks good. It is on You Tube in its entirety.

Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Living - Trailer - YouTube
As with any agenda, there are two sides to every story. Walmart also makes manufacturers accountable for their packaging and the environmental impact of that. They have also taken steps towards more sustainable seafood and sourcing of local produce. I find walmart prices, on average, to be pretty competitive with grocery stores/electronics stores, and from a selection standpoint, they carry many more products than what you'd find at target. It's convenient and saves on gas to stop at one store for general household/grocery shopping (althought I do get my produce/meat elsewhere --- they still need to work on that)

What some are learning from Wal-Mart's green supply chain - Aug. 13, 2010

Can Wal-Mart save seafood? - Jul. 26, 2006

Wal-Mart to Source More Local Produce | GreenBiz.com

Is Wal-Mart returning to its "Buy American" roots? - May. 12, 2011

Old 08-13-2012, 01:06 AM

4,678 posts, read 8,492,430 times
I interviewed for what I thought was a management position with Wal-Mart six months ago, only to find out that they called for overnight maintenance. I was offered $8.45 per hour and told by the HR manager that they had gotten a memo and that it was the highest they were allowed to pay non-management employees.

Personally, $8.45/hr. doesn't cut it. LoL...

Old 08-13-2012, 06:08 AM

22,553 posts, read 47,241,467 times
Walmart has tried to spruce up its image due to all the bad publicity. Sometimes they stick with things, like the lower-priced business model for generic prescription meds, and sometimes it falls by the wayside. I have to laugh at the link to the article that showed Walmart looking for sustainable seafood in 2006. I don't know what happened but when I go into a Walmart I find seafood from Asia, often China, or the famous farm-raised salmon from Chile. I can't find any seafood from the US.

This is a great recent article:

Wal-Mart marks 50 years of growth damage- MSN Money

Wal-Mart's history is the story of what has gone wrong in the American economy. Wages have stagnated. The middle class has shrunk. The ranks of the working poor have swelled. Whatever we may have saved shopping at Wal-Mart, we've more than paid for it in diminished opportunities and declining income.

And the worse things get, the more alluring Wal-Mart's siren call of low prices becomes. While Ford (F 0.00%) once profited by creating a workforce that could afford to buy its cars, today Wal-Mart profits by ensuring that Americans cannot afford to shop anywhere else. The average family of four now spends more than $4,000 a year at Wal-Mart.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:48 AM

21,114 posts, read 30,196,960 times
Quote:
Why not? Does Target do that too?
Target may not offer publicity-oriented one time bonus payouts like WalMart does, but does offer health benefits to ALL employees (full or part-time). Target : Careers : For Your Health

Old 08-14-2012, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Target may not offer publicity-oriented one time bonus payouts like WalMart does, but does offer health benefits to ALL employees (full or part-time). Target : Careers : For Your Health
while still maintaining similar wages/bonus structure? I'd be interested to find out the overall difference. It's easy to game the numbers and more and more, employers are offering a big chunk of their financial package to its workers via healthcare benefits
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or